Author Topic: Goalkeeper situation.  (Read 7360 times)

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
Goalkeeper situation.
« on: August 10, 2015, 12:14:47 AM »
Last year we lost points due to many things over the season with one major issue being the goalkeeper department before the two Sunderland keepers arrived.

Den said that for this season he was going to get a permanent experienced keeper in if he couldn't get Max back.

In an interview he said he couldn't get Max back for the full season and a three months loan was the only offering for him by Sunderland. Fair enough.

However,

As we haven't signed an experienced keeper, in fact we've signed a lad younger than Sam Vince  I feel he hasn't deliveried. Up until now I have trusted Den's judgement and I sincerely hope he is right with Ravas ( good luck to the lad) and I really hope I'm wrong but if he isn't good enough may be we should of got Max on the 3 month loan and then it would of given Den three more months to search for a keeper or better still max be able to stay on.

I hope I'm wrong and I trust Den to have got a good keeper for the season on loan. Let's see where we are in 10 games.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeper situation.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm not convinced Sam Vince is the answer either,  when he played last season his kicking was awful sending many wide and into touch.  Don't get me wrong,  he has ability but personally,  i like a keeper to have a bit of a presence about him and to put himself about.  I am hoping in the next week or so we shall get some news of a more experienced keeper with a proven track record at this level or slightly above.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
Half of our problem is that Max (and Joel before him) have set such a high standard that we now expect any goalkeeper to reach.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »
Well I doubt he'll be as good as those two but probably no keeper at this level was as good. As for an experienced keeper not sure how easy that would be but im certainly not going to question it until the poor guy has had a few games

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
Alexander in the bag on a one year deal now :)

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:15:41 PM »
Hopefully thats the keeper situation sorted.
Now for one or two defenders and a robust midfielder.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 11:23:15 PM »
Good luck to him, I hope we've found another good prospect....

But this should've been done 4 weeks ago. Same with the left back

Huntie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 06:40:38 AM »
Alexander looks as good as any keeper out of the Sunderland lands that came but we have signed ravas too... I know which i prefer but after signing now two keepers one of them will more than likely be on the bench all season and a waste of a keeper or money. Or will ravas be second keeper without minding?
UTP

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
Alexander looks as good as any keeper out of the Sunderland lands that came but we have signed ravas too... I know which i prefer but after signing now two keepers one of them will more than likely be on the bench all season and a waste of a keeper or money. Or will ravas be second keeper without minding?

Could you explain exactly how having a keeper on the bench is a waste of money ?  What happens if the keeper in goal gets injured or is sent off ?? Then we have to field an outfield player in goal, which frankly would be more costly points wise.  Any manager that is sensible would have a keeper on the bench as cover.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »
Ravas is presumably still eligble for the youth team, if he needs to keep up his fitness.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »

Could you explain exactly how having a keeper on the bench is a waste of money ?  What happens if the keeper in goal gets injured or is sent off ?? Then we have to field an outfield player in goal, which frankly would be more costly points wise.  Any manager that is sensible would have a keeper on the bench as cover.
de gea, Valdes nor lindegaard on bench for Man utd tonight.
It's a funny ole game Saint :)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »
But Sam Johnstone was, who played in every pre-season game for Man Utd  :dan

Huntie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 07:52:10 AM »

I don't mean that having two good keepers is a waste of money but we got Ravas for a number 1 keeper, he spends one game away playing for his national team and most probably gets replaced and put on the bench after Alexanders performance the other night, now we have two number 1 keepers, surely they will both want game time and we very rarely use a second keeper. So with the team as it is the money could be put to better use out field. I think so anyway.
UTP

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 08:24:04 AM »

I don't mean that having two good keepers is a waste of money but we got Ravas for a number 1 keeper, he spends one game away playing for his national team and most probably gets replaced and put on the bench after Alexanders performance the other night, now we have two number 1 keepers, surely they will both want game time and we very rarely use a second keeper. So with the team as it is the money could be put to better use out field. I think so anyway.

Ideal  situation two genuine contestants for the goalies shirt .   All managers like that as do most of the fans .     Win win for the moaners  too ,    If we are paying all his wages "its a waste of money "  if we are only paying a small portion "its doing it on the cheap"

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

What makes you think we are paying anything for Ravas? Youth loans are free...