Author Topic: Yesterdays Game  (Read 9147 times)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Yesterdays Game
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
Not many views being aired on the Stockport game, except one from Jamie on the end of another topic!

Is apathy already setting in because Den hasn't really addressed any of the concerns regarding
the positions of: Goalkeeper, midfield and left back.

We lost Zak yesterday prior to the game, through injury, and didn't have a proper back-up to cover for him!!

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Yesterdays Game
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
oxo, joshb, anyone?
United we stand..................

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 12:22:23 PM »
Decent game that ebbed and flowed, but can't really argue that on the balance of play Stockport just about deserved to win. That said, I'm disappointed we lost to such a poor goal (from our point of view) - I'd have hoped Ravas could have saved that.

Had it not been for that "stunner", we may well have held out for a draw, although we'd certainly have ridden our luck on the way, especially the Ledsham miss. Boston weren't really in the game until Den made a couple of quick subs in the second half, and then suddenly we sprang into life. I'm a bit of a tactical numpty though, so I couldn't tell if he changed the system, but whatever he did, it worked.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
Not many views being aired on the Stockport game, except one from Jamie on the end of another topic!

Is apathy already setting in because Den hasn't really addressed any of the concerns regarding
the positions of: Goalkeeper, midfield and left back.

We lost Zak yesterday prior to the game, through injury, and didn't have a proper back-up to cover for him!!

I did,nt go yesterday but reading Jamie,s comment,s and the views of Stockport fans on Liam Marr it appears we have improved the left back position and now reguire a righ back .     It appears Rollins impressed again yesterday .   given a new right back we would be covered in all positions (except goal)
for whatever system is required .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »
DG brought on Rollins and then McGhee and we were suddenly on the front foot, playing 3-4-1-2 - McGhee in the hole behind J & S, Felix on the right and Rollins the left. Until then, we lacked creativity, with just the odd (dangerous) run from Felix creating chances.

On another day, we put another chance away and claim a point...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
Liam Marrs was the outstanding player for us yesterday however, this does nothing to change the fact we are in desperate need of a left back, Liam is a right back filling in brilliantly at left back at the moment but he needs to be on the right with Zak Mills inside alongside Pidge , This would then alleviate a few problems as Garns could push into midfield (my goodness we needed him there yesterday to mix it with their big midfielders and forwards before they could get to our back line). Yes we also need an experienced keeper but I think the criticism aimed at the lad is a little over the top sometimes, He is a young lad who will only get better with games but if anyone knows a keeper good enough to play at this and a higher level that is available and who we can afford then tell Dennis I am sure he would sign him.
I thought we were a little unlucky not to have at least secured a point yesterday we had some glaring missed chances from Friend and more so by Jones having watched the highlights it was an unforgivable miss. When McGhee and Rollins came on we were a different team running at them with pace and frightening them to death could be time to give them both a start. Lets hope Zak will be fit for Tuesday or we could be struggling against Solihull who buried title favorites Fylde yesterday. So come on everybody get there and give the lads your backing on Tuesday.  UTP.
PS I know I go on but just my honest opinions.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
 marrs              coul d                    be in m/field next andthen the exit  just like marshall

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »
marrs              coul d                    be in m/field next andthen the exit  just like marshall

Oh God its the school holidays again.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 05:21:48 PM »
Decent game that ebbed and flowed, but can't really argue that on the balance of play Stockport just about deserved to win. That said, I'm disappointed we lost to such a poor goal (from our point of view) - I'd have hoped Ravas could have saved that.

Had it not been for that "stunner", we may well have held out for a draw, although we'd certainly have ridden our luck on the way, especially the Ledsham miss. Boston weren't really in the game until Den made a couple of quick subs in the second half, and then suddenly we sprang into life. I'm a bit of a tactical numpty though, so I couldn't tell if he changed the system, but whatever he did, it worked.

Agree with the vast majority here. We were a distance 2nd best first half although we hit the post and had a couple of half chances. Early doors 2nd half we got a foothold and got level after Jona and Pidge both missed good chances. Then there was only gonna be 1 winner but from our throw in, we gave away a ridiculous goal and that knocked the stuffing out of us, they saw the game out pretty comfortably.
Their strikers held the ball up well and gave the midfield a chance to get involved, we struggled somewhat with that threat whilst too often lacking the quality service which Jona and Southwell need.

Hoping it was a one off. Tough looking game on Tuesday. 2 home wins and we're back on track though. They'll be in and around the playoffs I'd imagine so frustrating to concede such a sloppy winner having done the hard work and got ourselves in the game

hozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
quote heard from several reporters on saturday - 'united struggled to cope with Stockports big physical central midfielders'. How many times have we heard that in the last 2 years, we all knew we needed a lump in midfield to do the dirty work thus allowing our more skilful players room to play. So during the closed season we said we needed 3 things to make us the real deal.
1. Goalkeeper - afraid Henrich should have saved Stockports winner.
2 Left back - this was clear for everyone to see Saturday, Liam was fantastic, several Stockport fans commented how good he was but a couple of times he got caught out as he's right footed. Roberts had to play right back but hes not a defender.
3. Central midfield lump in the Ellender mode to stand up to the physicallity in this league.

on the positives we still look a threat and will score goals, I just think we haven't moved forward and are a few players short.
against league 3, an idiots guide to making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »
Here's a public Facebook photo album with a few snaps from Saturday's game. Not many I'm afraid as I've been late in applying for a photographer's pass for the season and the stewards at Stockport wouldn't let me use my camera without one.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153548572414282.1073741947.570994281&type=1&l=ed66401e08

Here are a few snaps for those that don't do Facebook.

Liam Marrs

Spot the late replacement in the team line-up

Carl Piergianni

Mark Jones

Scott Garner

Mark Jones and Kaine Felix

Kaine Felix

Carl Piergianni

Grant Roberts

Mark Jones

Scott Garner

Edgeley Park

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »
quote heard from several reporters on saturday - 'united struggled to cope with Stockports big physical central midfielders'. How many times have we heard that in the last 2 years, we all knew we needed a lump in midfield to do the dirty work thus allowing our more skilful players room to play. So during the closed season we said we needed 3 things to make us the real deal.
1. Goalkeeper - afraid Henrich should have saved Stockports winner.
2 Left back - this was clear for everyone to see Saturday, Liam was fantastic, several Stockport fans commented how good he was but a couple of times he got caught out as he's right footed. Roberts had to play right back but hes not a defender.3. Central midfield lump in the Ellender mode to stand up to the physicallity in this league.

on the positives we still look a threat and will score goals, I just think we haven't moved forward and are a few players short.

http://members3.boardhost.com/marionsboard/msg/1439104525.html

There's some different threads on here re: Saturday's game - including one dedicated to Liam. Having a Stockport supprting work colleague, I read this forum every so often to see how they view things. Overall you still get the impression that they think they are far too big and far too good to be playing at this level - and a sense that they're not too keen on 'noisy neighbours' FC United. They play each other tomorrow night at FC's new ground and, although the capacity is 500 the police have put a 3,500 'safety limit' in place. There's been a ascramble for tickets by both sets of supporters.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »
http://members3.boardhost.com/marionsboard/msg/1439104525.html

There's some different threads on here re: Saturday's game - including one dedicated to Liam. Having a Stockport supporting work colleague, I read this forum every so often to see how they view things. Overall you still get the impression that they think they are far too big and far too good to be playing at this level - and a sense that they're not too keen on 'noisy neighbours' FC United. They play each other tomorrow night at FC's new ground and, although the capacity is 500 the police have put a 3,500 'safety limit' in place. There's been a ascramble for tickets by both sets of supporters.
[/quote]

Should read 5,000!! The Stockport allocation is 500.

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
Pilgrims might like to know that the match highlights are available on YouTube courtesy of Stockport FC.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
The winner looks even softer on the highlights.

So bloody frustrating!