Author Topic: season ahead  (Read 8419 times)

hozzer

• View Profile
season ahead
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
is it just me but i i dont feel a great swell of excitement for the coming season around the streets of Boston. Is it still a hangover from the hurt of that fricking overhead kick that 99 times out of 100 would have landed on John Blackwells car or smacked pilgrim radios commentator smack in the chops. I was hoping for a couple of stella signings (well for our level) just to prove we really meant business this year, sure the lads signed up will develop into good players but i thought we might have seen some proven players at this level just to see us into the playoffs again. Think the squad is very light, any injuries to key players and Im afraid we may struggle. Have the impression the league will be tougher than last year and the playoffs may be a challenge too far.

Hope Im wrong and will be encouraging and supporting the lads as I have for the last 40 years, come on united.
against league 3, an idiots guide to making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: season ahead
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
The fact that we have retained a lot of last year (and some from year before) is a huge positive as familiarity of playing together will be a major advantage over sides that have had big rebuilding jobs and thus taking time to gel.

However what i am concerned is that we appear to have stood still a little with regards to recruitment and the old adage is that if you stand still then you are going backwards.  The major areas of concern would be goalkeeper and left back which have not either adequately been filled or there is little to no cover there with Bennett appearing to have disappeared off the face of the planet with little to no mention (unless I've missed something).  These areas need addressing because with an early injury to any of the defenders would leave us very short.  A settled keeper is also a big must.

The midfield looks strong and from what i have been told, Deacey is a good signing.  The wide areas have been bolstered and up front has cover, albeit unproven at this level with the young lad from Posh as back up.

I am hopeful for a good season but if Southwell has a hernia problem recurring or there is an injury at the back then i think that we could have problems.

Repeating the success of last season will be difficult with the teams coming down and coming up, as well as the Moneybags sides spending again. 

Hoping for a play off push but think we will ultimately fall short and finish 8th (praying for a cup run too).

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »
Don,t see any reason to be downbeat , finished last season with the in-form team most of which have been retained .    Greene said his target was to sign a left-back , a goalie and a left wide man .

We,ve signed a young goalie who like Max last season is unproved at this level ,  Judging by the way he stood up to the big intimitating forwards of Imps and GTFC looks promising .      Time will tell .

Left back ,  With Marrs being moved to left back this has infact improved the position as he is a better defender than Reene who was good going forward and often left wanting when defending . After all a backs main job is to defend .
Add the fact that in Rollins we have a real attacking winger making it a more balanced side .

As said this just leaves us a spare defender short .

Lets reserve  judgement till after a few games are clocked up ,  seem to recall most of us declaring Felix "not good enough " after about a dozen games last season .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
As said this just leaves us a spare defender short .
What's Mr Galinski upto...?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »
I am on the cautious side when it comes to the new season I think it was obvious to most where we needed to strengthen a keeper a left back and for me a strong big tall dominant ball winner in the center mid.
Also as a luxury a strong big powerful center forward would have been good.
To me if we were serious about getting promoted we would have filled these positions but im afraid we havent got it rite.
The question is why cant we attract the quality type of player to push us on? We have a great ground excellent support and were narrowly edged out on the last day from being a conference club. Surely the manager must feel a little let down by the business that he has been forced to settle with.
I get the feeling with Garner in the CB position we will miss his dominance in CM...(however with him and pidge at the back are the best CB pairing, which lets Mills go to his best position at RB)
The keeper hasn't looked great in the pre season games and I don't like Marrs at left back having to check inside when playing forward not ideal.
And once again we have signed another small CM...
On the plus side if we can get the ball to our 2 excellent wide men then we have the ability to open many a side up.

I do hope im wrong but I feel around 10th will be us this year.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:01:41 PM »
 The chairman seemed very positive to support the good run season end by allowing good signings (though mainly loans)
    With a good core of players re- signing for this term , I thought, like at least one poster ,he would enhance the position & go for it with one or two major signing of players needed for promotion .
           Maybe the Quadrant is weighing ..what of that ? and the new ground ?
                                            fT

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »
The chairman seemed very positive to support the good run season end by allowing good signings (though mainly loans)
    With a good core of players re- signing for this term , I thought, like at least one poster ,he would enhance the position & go for it with one or two major signing of players needed for promotion .
           Maybe the Quadrant is weighing ..what of that ? and the new ground ?
                                            fT

How do we know yet if the new signings will not improve the team ?
From what you,ve seen don,t you think Rollins will be an exciting player ?
Goalie too early to judge but may turn out to be fine .     Recall many writing off Max 5mins into his deput .

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »
So difficult to predict, the thing is with the 'lack' of signings due to the greater number of retained and already contracted players it can seem that we are behind others.  The continuity of last season’s squad into this is not as headline grabbing but is certainly my preferred option.

I think its normal football supporter behaviour to be pessimistic  ;)

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »
The form table for last season from boxing day to last day of the regular season would have us top of the league.

We've kept most of the key players from last season's starting 11 together so there's no reason why we can't continue that form. 8 out of the end of last seasons 11 are still with us (Stryjek, Walker and Steer departing). Rollins sounds like he may be a decent replacement for Walker, hopefully the new keeper will be good and shuffling the defence to play Marrs at left back shouldn't make too much of a difference. However I am sure we will get another left back in as soon as the right one is found.

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »
Does this mean we're not signing Bennett then? Or are we waiting for him to be match fit?

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
so there's no reason why we can't continue that form.

Note of caution on that, there is, other sides will have improved.  It's not just a case of keeping going it is about keep going forward.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 04:20:03 PM »
Although I seemed to go round the houses, that was the point that I was making MNH

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 07:23:24 PM »
so there's no reason why we can't continue that form.

Note of caution on that, there is, other sides will have improved.  It's not just a case of keeping going it is about keep going forward.
But also, other teams will have lost good players. Solihull have relied on Bogle's goals, for example. Chorley have a different manager, too.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »
I think the team will miss Steer much more than many believe. Yes he picked up many bookings, yes the other more balanced defenders, Married probably being a prime example, but overall and especially considering his attributes going forward and his lightning recovery speed which is unmatched in any match I have seen and his departure will hurt us.

I also feel as has been his way fie two years, and especially with the loan rules changing drastically this year that DG will have a couple of loanees in before the end of the month

Many teams have strengthened, certainly the ones with top five aspirations and that dirty word finances, has in most cases allowed them to do so and we have to accept that we can't match their kind of wages with some reputedly operating on a weekly budget the kind of money DG has in a month.

Many teams are worse off that us which almost guarantees a tip half finish its just a case if where exactly in the too half we will be come April. A top five is realistic but no certainty.

Saturday will give us some indication and though I doubt it will be wouldn't it be great to start of in the same fashion of a couple if years back when in the opening day we gave then a right old tonking.

At least football is back though. I hate summers