Author Topic: The Squad  (Read 26352 times)

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
Re: The Squad
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »
Can anyone remember when we have had such a solid group to build from before?  Really get the sense that its 'building' rather than start again for next season.  That must help us retain those we need and encourage those we want to bring in.

One thing that will be an extra hurdle to overcome will be the expectations.  Those of us supporters, the team themselves, the board and sides we come up against.  The run since Christmas has raised the bar, talk is genuinely about winning the title next season not just play-offs would be good.  I'm finally starting to climb out of the misery from Saturday!

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
Vince wasn't doing too badly at the start of the season until he started getting messed about and dropped for the likes of Gledhill. Never really got himself back on track after that - which is a shame as I think he has great potential. Probably just needs man-managing better.

TEP

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
Keeper will be the priority pre season. Everyone except Hollingsworth, Sheridan and Hall will hopefully be retained. Presumably most of those not on contract will be given non contract terms such as McGhee etc.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:20 PM »
The keeper is the big one for me.  Vince isn't up to it, and we unless we can get Dixon or Max back for the full season we're going to have a hole to fill.  What about Farman at Lincoln?  They haven't got pots of cash to throw and he was pretty good for us.

I'd like to keep the Newsh on.  Been with us through thick and thin, and would be nice to see the club show some loyalty too.  Plus he's a different type of striker to Dayle and Jones which we need.

Hopefully we can keep Pidge, I'd also like to have another in midfield so we can have the option of getting Garner back at centre half.  Committed, yes. A leader, yes.  A centre midfielder?  I'm still not sure...

Keeping Rene would be massive (mainly for scoring from 30 yards with ease), and another winger like Felix and we'd be away.

It's gonna be tough again next season.  Flyde are still here, I guess Alfreton, Telford and maybe Nuneaton are coming down to us.  Plus FCUM and one of Chorley & Guiseley.
Garner moving to central-midfield has to be one of the reasons we've done so well in the 2nd half of the season. He gets stuck in, and it's always better to win the ball back in midfield rather than defence.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »
Agree. moving garner to centre midfield and mills to centre half made our season. Goalkeeper, right back, left winger and striker needed to make us title contenders. Can't see marrs staying as he lives in Newcastle.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 06:40:15 PM »
Hall is only registered to play and a help us if we need and he is available basis, so I can see something like that again next season as his football time is limited now, Newsham id love to stay but lets get a pre season under the belt then see what happens. Goal is one place that needs dealing with. On top of that I think id be looking to find a utility player or 2 more than a particular position. One of our very few weaknesses since Christmas is that we have not been able to cover injuries to well.

I.E when Zak was out we had to move Gardner back in althou the middle was always replaced by a good replacement you could see the lack of bite.

If I was to chose id rather leave Gardner in the middle and have a back up at cb

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 07:21:43 PM »
We could do with a Galinski-type player...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »
It would be great to have Greg Tempest back here next season, either on loan or permanently if Notts County release him.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 09:49:43 PM »
Talking goalkeepers, I'd be happy with either of the Sunderland keepers on a season's loan, but can't see it happening.  How about Jasbir Singh therefore? He was considered one of the best in Conference North for Solihull Moors but signed a one year deal with Kidderminster last summer. For whatever reason things haven't worked out at Kidderminster - he has been reserve keeper and has only played one game for them - so pretty sure his deal there won't get extended. I don't know where he lives but I'd assume West Midlands somewhere. It would mean some long journeys to games and to training, but with Scott Garner living in Coventry we already have at least one player coming from a similar direction.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
Talking goalkeepers, I'd be happy with either of the Sunderland keepers on a season's loan, but can't see it happening.  How about Jasbir Singh therefore? He was considered one of the best in Conference North for Solihull Moors but signed a one year deal with Kidderminster last summer. For whatever reason things haven't worked out at Kidderminster - he has been reserve keeper and has only played one game for them - so pretty sure his deal there won't get extended. I don't know where he lives but I'd assume West Midlands somewhere. It would mean some long journeys to games and to training, but with Scott Garner living in Coventry we already have at least one player coming from a similar direction.
Singh has now been released.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 10:17:49 PM »
We could do much worse than him

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 10:23:26 PM »
If Guiseley go up, wonder if they'll go full time...? Could be scope for Drench if he has a good job?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
Jonathan Hedge has been released by Telford. Ex-Grimsby and Halifax, ended the season at North Ferriby (albeit when they were conceding lots of goals)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Jonathan Hedge has been released by Telford. Ex-Grimsby and Halifax, ended the season at North Ferriby (albeit when they were conceding lots of goals)

Lets in too many "soft" goals,

Like to see Nicklin from NFU .

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
Greg Tempest released today by Notts County
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds