Author Topic: The Squad  (Read 26299 times)

hozzer

• View Profile
The Squad
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:31:06 AM »
the pain is starting to subside a little so thoughts are now starting to move to next season.  Looking at the squad list I see it as:-

Keeper's - Vince

Defenders - Pidge, Marrs, Mills, Price, Steer

Midfielders - Garner, Felix, Hall, Hollingsworth, McGee, Roberts, Sheriden, Walker

Strikers - Jones, Southwell, Newsham, Saebe

anyone else know whos contracted for next season and for those who aren't who should we be offering terms to?

against league 3, an idiots guide to making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
Re: The Squad
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
Don't think Newsham and Hollingsworth will be here next season. If Vince has a year to run on his contract I would think he will go out on a season long loan, if not think he will be let go as well. I'd be surprised if Hall and Sheridan are retained also.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »
I may of missed it so sorry if I have but I don't think steer is under one

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:01 AM »
9 players on contract for next season are. Vince, Mills, Pidge, Roberts, Garner, Dixon, Felix Jones and Southwell. All other lads on non contract or loan and Newsham is out of contract. I can see a few leaving marrs, Hollingsworth,mcghee,sheridan, hall, walker and maybe Newsham.

hozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »
just been told Liam marrs was on radio lincs this morning hoping to get signed up for the season ahead.
against league 3, an idiots guide to making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »
I may of missed it so sorry if I have but I don't think steer is under one
Correct, Steer has never been under contract with us. Presumably, in case a higher-division club in London wants him?

I think McGhee will leave - he pretty much waved to the crowd at the end on Saturday. Whether that's our decision (due to injury problems) or his (lack of starts), I don't know.

DG likes Newsham, and I presume will offer him something - and hopefully he'll stay. He's a good number 3 striker to have available, offering a different threat than Southwell and Jones.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
A good pre-season could see Newsham recapture some of his form of old. I would give him a chance to prove himself during July and August and then see how things are.

TEP

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:00:29 PM »
Newsham must be one of our highest earners and if he is gonna be 3rd choice striker I can't see us keeping him. Where does everyone think the squad needs strengthening?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »
I do not want to put a downer on Saturday's gutsy performance, but I thought we had a very weak link in Walker.  I thought Mcghee did more in his cameo, than Walker did all match.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

BigRichT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
Agreed D.

Walker has failed to impress most of the time he has been with us, apart from a world class free kick or two - which begs the question why he did not take the one where we had no idea who was taking it or what the plan was!

I would like to see Mcghee in our colours again next season, as at the start of this season he was one of our stand-out players. Also, his little spat with their keeper shows his commitment.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »
Already agreed deals - Vince, Pidge, Mills, Garner, Dixon, Roberts, Jones, Southwell, Felix

Think we should keep - Steer, Marrs, Walker (still young and shows real quality on the ball at times but struggled Saturday and looked tired towards end), Newsham (will always score goals but will he be happy to warm the bench?), Mcghee (full of energy and versatile), Price and Saebe,

Release - Hollingsworth (always going to be behind Roberts, Dixon and Garner in pecking order), Hall (may not stay as doesn't seem to be able to play every week due to other commitments)

Not sure about Sheridan Greene sounded like a big fan of his when he signed him so may want to try and sign him for next season

The keeper is the only real area of concern. Think Max has been fantastic, is Sunderland let us keep him that would be ideal otherwise we need another top class keeper to be challenging for the title.

hozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »
most of us cant understand how number 9 stayed on the pitch and looking at the state of Pidges face after the game it was clear that the treatment Pidge got crossed the line and the ref was weak. However saying all that number 9 summed up in my opinion the type of player you need in your squad at times, we are too nice, I dont want to give fatty mcfraud any compliments but we had some old pro's in the team that won the conference that if they couldnt win it fairly would kick, pull, surround the ref etc and influence the game, at times it wasnt pretty but this season we have struggled against the physical sides, just look at the games against NFU.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »
We're in a much better shape than when we lost to Guiseley, we all knew we would be losing most of our best players then.

Replacing Max in goal is going to be tough though, I felt we improved immensely when he came in, and I hope he goes on to play professionally, he's got a great attitude.

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »
The keeper is the big one for me.  Vince isn't up to it, and we unless we can get Dixon or Max back for the full season we're going to have a hole to fill.  What about Farman at Lincoln?  They haven't got pots of cash to throw and he was pretty good for us.

I'd like to keep the Newsh on.  Been with us through thick and thin, and would be nice to see the club show some loyalty too.  Plus he's a different type of striker to Dayle and Jones which we need.

Hopefully we can keep Pidge, I'd also like to have another in midfield so we can have the option of getting Garner back at centre half.  Committed, yes. A leader, yes.  A centre midfielder?  I'm still not sure...

Keeping Rene would be massive (mainly for scoring from 30 yards with ease), and another winger like Felix and we'd be away.

It's gonna be tough again next season.  Flyde are still here, I guess Alfreton, Telford and maybe Nuneaton are coming down to us.  Plus FCUM and one of Chorley & Guiseley.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
Desperately need a keeper - i can't see us getting Dixon or Max back next season as Sunderland will want the players to develop and may look a league or 2 higher than us.  If they have another off the production line then that would be great.

No player is worth breaking the bank for, and with the money they would have been on, is it worth looking at the better NFU players if they do go down voluntarily?

If Walker can develop then great, if not then we definitely need a left sided midfielder, another central midfielder as Garns did a good job there (very reminiscent of when Ellender played there)but he was clearly a centre back there when we need a combative midfileder if we are going to try to win the league.

So keeper, central midfielder, left sided midfielder and if there is a better striker available than what we have got, then that will do for summer recruitment for me