Author Topic: FT 2-3  (Read 19643 times)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: FT 2-3
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »
just got home after witnessing our journey to Wembley end :(
we were not beat by a better team
we were not beat by a more skillful team
we were not beat by a fitter team
WE WERE BEAT BY A TEAM WHO WANTED IT MORE.

(talking to the dad of the No6 who scored the 2nd goal. It cost him £50! Also the lad had laid around 600 bricks during the day but didnt look tired, I guess it was DESIRE)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 06:44:11 PM »
I think I must be cursed.

Actually Pete I think it is me that is cursed. I watched Quorn quite a lot last season, as it is very close to home for me and their midweek matches on Tuesdays never seemed to clash with our own matches on Wednesdays. In seven or eight visits to Farley Way, I don't think I've ever seen Quorn lose. I hoped and I expected to break that duck last night, though have to concede that Quorn were the best side.

The talk about "let's concentrate on the league" is about all we can say now, but in truth there have been enough warning signs from the performances at Burscough, Stocksbridge and Quorn to suggest that this squad plainly isn't good enough. The management too must take some criticism for some of their substitutions. When 4-3-3 works it works well (e.g. Nantwich), but Plan B always seems to involve changes players rather than changing formation. And some teams have worked out how to play against 4-3-3. Last night, a goal down in a cup competition, we replaced Yates with Cotton. Like for like. Surely we should have been looking to throw everything but the kitchen sink at Quorn, especially given some of their goalkeepers fine ball juggling skills?

Newsham has scored goals and Davidson has height, but in my opinion none of our forwards are currently imposing enough pressure on opposing defenders. When you're playing against a dodgy goalkeeper you need to put them under pressure. But at times I'm not sure some of our players even know what a challenge is. Memories of Matt Bloomer at Kendal, anyone?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »
Memories of Matt Bloomer at Kendal, anyone?

Corrected  ;D
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

against the odds

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »
Bloody hell. Was howmanynames2pick walking home or does he really live 21 hours away from Quorn!!!!!!

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
I said the traffic was bad on Saturday.

The Purple Shirt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »
Think he took a detour via Belgium  ;)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
Bloody hell. Was howmanynames2pick walking home or does he really live 21 hours away from Quorn!!!!!!

Just got back myself.
Obviously didn't go straight home...didn't enjoy the football this time  >:(
Another chance of a repeat visit to Wembley slips away, how many years left on the York Street lease?
Will we make it back to the Conference before time is up? Probably not, but it won't be for lack of effort, hopefully the Chestnuts will keep us going till then.
Fair play to the Quorn, they wanted it more. They did to us what I was hoping we would do to some of the bigger teams in the competition in the later stages.
I was hoping for at least another St Albans...sorry, I was dreaming I know, now I'm just gutted   :(

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »

The talk about "let's concentrate on the league" is about all we can say now, but in truth there have been enough warning signs from the performances at Burscough, Stocksbridge and Quorn to suggest that this squad plainly isn't good enough. The management too must take some criticism for some of their substitutions. When 4-3-3 works it works well (e.g. Nantwich), but Plan B always seems to involve changes players rather than changing formation. And some teams have worked out how to play against 4-3-3. Last night, a goal down in a cup competition, we replaced Yates with Cotton. Like for like. Surely we should have been looking to throw everything but the kitchen sink at Quorn, especially given some of their goalkeepers fine ball juggling skills?

I don't agree with this. Yes the 3 performances you talk of have been poor, but for all those you can pick out a good performance like Nantwich. The squad is good enough, I still haven't seen a better team than us when we are on our game. Where I do think we are short is in the middle, Camm, Sleath and Church are automatic choices and have nobody to replace them until Millson is fit. For me this has led to a bit of complacency in the 3 and needs to be addressed.

As for the formation, when everyone was calling for 4-4-2 and it was implemented at Lowestoft it was an unmitigated disaster. Last night when Weir-Daley came on we basically went 4-2-4 (admittedly for only 10 mins) it didn't really work any better than the 4-3-3.

If it where me I'd let Weir-Daley go, who has been a big name flop so far, recall Jamie Clarke and give him a place for Davidson in the front 3. I'd also get in another player who can play in the middle who can pass the ball a bit, if the funds aren't available I'd drop 1 of the middle 3 and give Cotton a run (even though this is a little out of position). Oh and the 1 player who has come out with credit from the last 3 "performances" is Yates, if we can we need to get him signed permanently.

edit: the other point I wanted to make was when we are on our game everything is obviously fine, when we are not on our game we are shocking, if we could turn these into mediocre performances and pick up draws and the odd win it would make a world of difference.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:12:01 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »
I think what we are saying is then when fully fit and on it, our first 11 is the strongest team we have seen, but when we have an off day or need to rest one of the middle 3 then we just don't have the depth of squad to compete (something the likes of BPA etc will pip us at the post at if we don't address it.)
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »

If it where me I'd let Weir-Daley go, who has been a big name flop so far.

Could someone furnish me with an explanation as to why the Club have gone out of
 their way to bring in Weir-Daley a forward line player who clearly isn't fully fit,offer him
 only a bench position and use him as a only a ten or fifteen minute substitute in the
 games he's featured in so far ?

I am not fully aware, but i am led to believe that our player out on loan is contracted to
 the Club but has been sent out as quoted by Paul Hurst (Lincs Sports Echo) 'To start
 enjoying his Football again'. Give him the opportunity of doing that here at York Street,
 I don't recall him being injured prior to his deal at Loughborough Dynamo apart from
 his ego being a little bit bruised ! Supporters i speak with share the same opinions that
 Weir-Daley is no better than what we have, but obviously Scott and Hurst have different
 valuations, if that be the case play him.

Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

Seenbetter

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 08:24:44 AM »
It's good to read constructive comments without the abuse I have sometimes read on here so well done everyone, thats how it should be. Interesting about the exchange of like for like(Cotton for Yates). Only last night my mate said the same thing but also included Suarez for Davidson. If a tactical change is needed how about Clark for DD or MS, oops sorry, forgot for a moment he's on loan to learn how to enjoy the game again. Surely all players want to play and get fed up being left on the bench. Butcher must be really fed up not getting a game but credit to him cos he keeps turning up. As for Tuesday, it was the best team that won. They passed the ball well and dribbled round our players like they weren't there. I thought we ought to be trying to sign a few of them. Oh well, we should be disgusted that we have no choice but to concentrate on the league so early in the cup competitions but thats the fact now so lets get on with it. I'll be there on Saturday cheering them on and relieving the stress of the week by abusing Fancy dress man. Ps We need Quorns catering at our ground, the burger and chips were great.
As for the person calling Scott names, CUT IT OUT. If you did that in the street you'd get your head knocked off.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
Think he took a detour via Belgium  ;)
did indeed :)
was still shaking my head in disbelief in France.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 02:51:43 PM »
If a tactical change is needed how about Clark for DD or MS, oops sorry, forgot for a moment he's on loan to learn how to enjoy the game again. Butcher must be really fed up not getting a game but credit to him cos he keeps turning up.

Just to be a little critical of your post Seeingbetter, Clarky has been sent out to start and
 enjoy his football again not as you see it as enjoying the game,Hursty's words not mine.
 Some supporters thought he was trying to hard to impress and they are probably right
 in some respect being played out of a position as a wide man,leave those positions to
 the Yates and the Cottons of the squad.

With reference to 'Butch' and credit to him he keeps turning up without getting a game,
 I think as a Contract player that is part of his duty to the Club and should always be
 named on the bench as reserve keeper until his opportunity to play comes along.
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »
 Someone said earlier  ..'winning breeds winning '
  Well not for long at York St at the moment .. a  run of victories seems to be a prequel and sequel to about  7 games without winning .
   This management need to show they have ability to gain  more consistency ..

Seenbetter

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 05:44:14 PM »
Fare comments Sparks. I was never in a goalkeepers situation but I wonder if a day may come when Butch will have to be loaned out to get match experience. Sitting on the bench all the time can't be doing him much good as far as getting that experience is concerned. I'm pleased for him that he was signed but Evans is doing a good job and I just feel for him a bit cos all players like to play, except most of last years crew that is. As you say, Butch is doing his job and we need a reserve keeper. I hope that soon, when we are beating someone 6-0 with 15 minutes to go, he will get a go. ( Perhaps this Saturday ? )