Author Topic: FT 2-3  (Read 19650 times)

against the odds

• View Profile
Re: FT 2-3
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »
Just got home from watching the shambles that was Boston United tonight.  The only consolation was that it wasn't far to travel.  Anyone would think we played to lose tonight.  We were beaten by a better side in Quorn and good luck to them in the next round - although it would hardly have been a money spinner for us!  It's hard to think this is the same team which took Nantwich apart only 10 days ago.  The defeat at Stocksbridge could be put down to oh well you can't win them all and it's only another blip.  Then Saturday's performance and now tonight's abysmal display.  So it's what some people on here wanted - we can concentrate on the league now - but what about the hardy supporters who turn up week in week out.  To turn out rubbish like the last 3 games is totally unacceptable and something needs to be done and quickly.  Our problem has been scoring - the defence of late has been sound - but tonight for 2 of the goals they were all over the place.  Lets be fair there is nearly 2 leagues difference between the 2 teams playing tonight.  We should have finished the job on Saturday and tonight having gone 1-0 up we shouldn't have given 3 goals away the way we did.  As previously said many will be happy we lost tonight (of that's how it seems) so we can concentrate on the league.  Lets hope this is correct starting with what looks a dodgy game on Saturday against North Ferriby.  Still I'll be there, as usual.  If you don't turn out to support your team you really don't have any cause to complain do you.  Rant over I'll leave it to the experts on here to dissect the game tonight.   

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 10:39:21 PM »
We've only got a thin squad so maybe all is not lost with this result, we know we would have had to then get through Vauxhall Motors (hardly a big pull) before we could get anywhere near anything resembling a decent tie so like others, it is disappointing but not overly upsetting.

It just sets our sights firmly on one goal.... POSITION 1, UNIBOND PREMIER.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

threenil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
Let's face it - it's a bad result. Yes, let's concentrate on the league, but for crying out loud - beaten by Quorn?!!!

Seenbetter

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »
Just got home. Best side won but I shouldn't be saying that. They outplayed us. Saying we can now concentrate on the league is a kop out from facing the facts.We virtually had the same team on the pitch that has given us some good results but for the last three games have been terrible. Our defence, despite losing tonight is still a good one. The midfield aren't too bad either but our forward line needs a lot of attention. I know we all have our favourites but get rid of MS, DD and Newsham and start again. We have no one with that bit of sparkle, that bit of imagination that even Scott  mentioned after Saturdays game. Mr Newton deserves better than this. Perhaps its Mr Angry speaking after seeing tonights game and I know I'll get some flack but our forwards are not delivering the goods, they didn't on Saturday and they didn't tonight. Against the Odds is right. Sometimes rose tinted spectacles need cleaning.
Perhaps I'll feel better in the morning with a change of heart just like Mr Newton did a few weeks ago. Who would question him after these performances if he had another change of heart. I wouldn't. By the way, I call him Mr Newton and not David Newton out of respect for what he has done at the club. If you hadn't noticed I'm feeling pretty miffed.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 11:58:06 PM »
Just got home. Best side won but I shouldn't be saying that. They outplayed us. Saying we can now concentrate on the league is a kop out from facing the facts.We virtually had the same team on the pitch that has given us some good results but for the last three games have been terrible. Our defence, despite losing tonight is still a good one. The midfield aren't too bad either but our forward line needs a lot of attention. I know we all have our favourites but get rid of MS, DD and Newsham and start again. We have no one with that bit of sparkle, that bit of imagination that even Scott  mentioned after Saturdays game.

I see from the Unibond official results that Clarky was on the score sheet again against
 his old club Stamford tonight in Div1 South, I do believe thats 3 in 5 appearances for
 them. If things continue to go well on his loan move surely the Management will at
 least consider bringing him back into the fold if things don't improve with what we have
 presently.I am not wishing to pass comment that he could or would be the spark that
 Scott refers to but, at least give the guy an opportunity and a run of games to show
 what he could be capable of, the same would also apply to other members of the squad.
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

wez33

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 06:24:07 AM »
Complete embarassment

Lady GaGa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 06:49:17 AM »
Ricky Miller and Lee Beeson also both on the score sheet last night in the same game as Jamie.

Agree with the comments about tonight's and recent poor performances, can't believe that's the same team on the pitch as at Nantwich!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:50:49 AM by Lady GaGa »

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
Still in shock after watching last night's game, where we gave a Stocksbridge performance not a Nantwich one. The might of Lowestoft and Quorn have ended our cup competition's this year, who would believe it? Not the chairman who would us seen us receive a useful cheque for £3000 for winning last night. After the last three performances the players should return last weeks wages to the club.
We didn't lose last night through lack of effort, just through sloppy,careless play and not having the correct mental attitude when we stepped onto the pitch. It was Quorn's Cup Final, and a team that lost 3-0 to Spalding not long ago was able to win it. The team owes us and the management a performance on Saturday, though I saw North Ferriby win 3-0 last week and if we play like last night.....Heaven help us! Containing Tom Matthews and Ben Morley they did the basics well but I know we are capable of beating them. Again it will be a case of , which Boston United will turn up? Jeckyl or Hyde?
  Was quite stunned last night when some muppet/so called Boston supporter decided to come over to Rob Scott and call him a s*** and embarassement near the end of the game. People like that shouldn't bother attending, part of being a supporter is sticking with your team when things are going wrong.No one was more gutted than me walking out that ground last night but I don't start abusing people who are doing a good job.  Is third in the league an embarassement?

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 08:53:33 AM »
Loved scotts retort' thanks. That was constructive'

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »
I think I must be cursed. After a hectic few weeks during which I managed only the FCUM game – which, despite the result, was hardly a marvellous performance - I returned to regular spectatorly duties just in time for last week’s defeat at Stocksbridge and last night’s dismal performance at some village near Loughborough.

I’m starting to get a little tired now of being jeered out of these little grounds by a gaggle of gloating 14 year old wannabe fecktards while knowing, deep down, that they have every right to gloat because their team was simply a lot better than mine. Make no mistake, Quorn deserved their victory last night and what’s galling about that statement is that they are quite evidently a very limited team with one of the most nervous goalkeepers I have ever seen. Yet somehow United contrived to be as bad, and then progressively worse, than them. The passing was awful, the speculative long balls tiresome, the marking distinctly suspect. To compound matters, despite him haplessly flapping at the ball any time it came near him, Boston only started putting the Quorn keeper under any kind of consistent pressure during the very latter stages, which was just a little bit too cocking late to make any difference.

More worrying is that the best description I could give an interested party this morning of Davidson and Suarez is that they looked, in the context of this game (and last week’s), hopelessly out of their depth. Which, given that Boston were playing a struggling NPL 1 side with a panicky goalkeeper and two not-exactly-towering centre-backs with the pace of an obese turtle with a fat man sat on its back, is quite an achievement. And the less said about the defending last night the better – to say it was shambolic would hardly begin to describe how awful it was.

Still. Never mind. I’m sure Scott and Hurst were just as appalled at the performance as the rest of us. And the league position confirms that the team isn’t as bad as the pretty rubbish rabble I’ve had the misfortune of seeing so far this season. Enigmatic is probably the word – I’m sure with a minor re-shuffle and a decent striker we can put teams like Quorn to the sword in future.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »
  Was quite stunned last night when some muppet/so called Boston supporter decided to come over to Rob Scott and call him a s*** and embarassement near the end of the game. People like that shouldn't bother attending, part of being a supporter is sticking with your team when things are going wrong.No one was more gutted than me walking out that ground last night but I don't start abusing people who are doing a good job.  Is third in the league an embarassement?

Disgrace to hear that, i hope Scott punched him in the face

Mr Tickle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:39 PM »
Both team and managers are to blame for such a piss poor performance.  I hope the Chestnuts gave the managers as much of a rollicking as what the players should receive.

And I don't buy into this focus on the league position only - not that we have much fecking choice now - either!  We should be capabale of maintain a cup run and a decent league position by now - clearly we are not and things still need addressing.  Being dumped out of both cups by lowere league teams cannot do much for morale in my opinion.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 01:53:36 PM »
Our defence, despite losing tonight is still a good one. The midfield aren't too bad either but our forward line needs a lot of attention. I know we all have our favourites but get rid of MS, DD and Newsham and start again.
I don't understand why people single out players and think that replacing 1 or 2 will miraculously make results better. This is still the same team that has took on Nantwich, BPA and Guiseley in their own back yard and outplayed all 3. These are 3 of the best teams in this league.

Last night the defence was shocking, all 3 goals being down to inept defending and poor goalkeeping. The midfield again lacked any quality to open up a team who put men behind the ball so quite how you can defend these and attack the forward line I find bizarre. I'm not saying we where good going forward but 1 thing about this team is it is a team with no star players, they win as a team and take the plaudits and lose as a team and take the criticism.

Anyone who's says that doesn't matter as it's only the Trophy and we should concentrate on the league...ffs it's your team it SHOULD hurt when you lose whatever the competition. I know it hurt like hell to watch us be outplayed by a team that quite frankly weren't much better than Boston Town, to then come home and read garbage like that from people that where not there makes my blood boil. This team is really starting to frustrate me like everyone else, we seem to beat the quality teams but lose to the dross, a little harsh on Quorn who fully deserved their win but in comparison to teams we have beaten that is exactly what they are.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:59:52 PM by woad_pilgrim »

BU on the up

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »
At home against Quorn our strikers couldn't finish their dinner which cost us and away from home our defence was obviously the problem. There is no way you should go to a team at the bottom half of the division below, SCORE 2 GOALS, and STILL lose!! That is a joke! The whole team is to blame not individual players.

Saying that Cup upsets happen and this year we have been the ones on the recieving end - simple. Lets just hope the squad learn and react from this.

At the end of the day the league is what we want so not having distractions from cup competitions can only enhance our chances of getting automatic promotion.

Onwards and upwards!!!

Shodfried

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 05:37:44 PM »
S

Probably one of those who still thinks Evans 'did a great job'........like the brain dead moron who I overheard telling his mate the other week..... those idiots disgust me, they're not Boston or football fans.

Scott and Hurst are on a learning curve, they make mistakes but a top 5 league finish will do fine.......so long as we either win the league or win the play off.