Author Topic: Harrogate Town  (Read 15101 times)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harrogate Town
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 05:53:17 PM »
No doubt the line "unlucky" will be trotted out.
Judging from Twitter, we were. We apparently scored a goal just before half-time, and had a few shots blocked/saved. It was the start that let us down.

Are we not allowed to be 'unlucky'? Is it always a case that we're good if we win, bad if we lose?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
Very unlucky to lose that. Trying tippy tappy stuff on that shambles of a pitch wasn't the best way to approach the first twenty minutes, and we paid a heavy price. After that, we were by far the better side, mostly dominated and were unfortunate not to nick a point with the last kick of the game.

Feel sorry for Harrogate's groundsman having to clear that mess up once the slush thaws...

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:37 PM »
First of all I would like to say that if you were not there you are in no position to question whether the game should have been played, yes there was a covering of snow but it was quite safe to play so no blame there for our defeat. Pete was right about the way we started they just ran down the slope at us and our defense was at sixes and sevens with the new lad from Sunderland standing in for Pidge (who believe me was very unwell)
falling way short of the standard required at this level I don't want that to sound over critical as the conditions must have been a long way from those he has experienced before and it was his first outing with new team mates. As for the disallowed goal just before half time, It was a goal without doubt and reason I can say that is that the chap who attends every game and takes photos from the terraces took a beauty of the ball clearly over the line which most of us were able to look at however, I was stood 10 yards away and could't see it for the keepers body which also blocked the linesman , I would say it was equally impossible for the ref to be sure as by the time he reached the goal line the ball was back in play, one of those things I'm afraid.
Jonahs goal was a very good header after we dominated the last half hour and were very unfortunate not to at least secure a point. They do frustrate me but I love em.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
Managed to make this one so I took a few snaps. The pick are in a public Facebook album at:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153048419309282.1073741915.570994281&type=1&l=68a33324ba

A bit unlucky but with Piergianni sick it was always going to be tough. Would have won it on another day. At least it was better than last season.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »
Agree with that Mel. The ball LOOKED over the line in the photo, but I only saw it on that small screen - I'd be interested to see a larger version. Either way, I can't really blame the ref for not giving it as the goalkeeper was lying on top of the ball, so it was hardly a massive controversy.

In general, we just didn't get to grips with the conditions and by the time did we were 2-0 down, which is a shame as Harrogate were pretty rubbish and on another day were there for the taking.

Have to say I wasn't at all impressed with the bouncers masquerading as stewards. Itching for trouble, and reacted badly to fans getting  slightly lively after the above incident. Tactless, childish and pathetic.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »
Thought we had the better of the game for large periods but were left to pay the price for a sloppy 10 minutes early on.
We struggled to adapt to a slippy pitch and lost a lot of 50/50s and when we did attack, we'd get 30 yards out and it would break down.... all very frustrating.
That said, we might have had one bang on half time... don't know if it was in as the ad board was in the way.

2nd half was largely us with them sitting back but it wouldn't fall for us in the box.
Jona got one late on and then after a few corners, Newsh had a rebound in the last minute which somehow their keeper took off his toes even when it seemed certain Newsh had beat the defender to the loose ball 3 yards out.

Frustrating as I felt we deserved something but yet again our inconsistencies are costing us... 4 years where we haven't won more than 3 league games in a row... just not good enough if you wanna go up.

Unless we do a Tamworth or win 11 of our last 16, we'll be going to the same places next year... ah well, at least I could have a lot of localish games from Birmingham (if I'm still there next year)

Note- Harrogate, please don't have nightclub bouncers as football stewards... total tosspots looking to start a fight just before half time as a few of our lot shouted towards the ref before they told the innocent parties to calm down or be thrown out.... bell-ends

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »
A fair summary Josh.
Their second was offside, slow Lino didn't keep up.
But hey ho

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
Den said on Twitter the ball was out of play for one of the goals (may have been the 2nd). Also says on Radio Lincs there was a foul on Walker(?) which left us short at the back on the counter attack, even though he stopped play when they had a couple go down injured 2nd half....

Either way, frustrating as it reminded me of last years away games- be the better side but give ourselves too much to do by starting slowly

azi1992

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
No doubt the line "unlucky" will be trotted out.
Judging from Twitter, we were. We apparently scored a goal just before half-time, and had a few shots blocked/saved. It was the start that let us down.

Are we not allowed to be 'unlucky'? Is it always a case that we're good if we win, bad if we lose?

would prefer it if we were lucky bro. lol

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
First of all I would like to say that if you were not there you are in no position to question whether the game should have been played, yes there was a covering of snow but it was quite safe to play so no blame there for our defeat.

I normally agree with Oxo's views, but I'm prepared to offer a slightly different opinion in terms of whether or not the pitch was playable. I was there, and personally I don't think the game should have gone ahead. Players were slipping over at regular intervals, and I can remember Scott Garner ending up on his backside from a good shooting position in the second half and also the Harrogate keeper ending up laying on the ground after taking a goal kick. Those are just two examples and there were several other occasions for both sides when players failed to keep on their feet. Conditions were the same for both sides so we can't blame the conditions in any way for the defeat, but the conditions did turn the match into a bit of a lottery.  If Harrogate Railway, Guiseley, Halifax, etc., were all postponed due to the state of the pitch, then surely conditions can't have been that different at Harrogate Town?

the new lad from Sunderland standing in for Pidge (who believe me was very unwell) falling way short of the standard required at this level I don't want that to sound over critical as the conditions must have been a long way from those he has experienced before and it was his first outing with new team mates.

Let's not be too critical of the new signing. As I understand it he would have joined up with us on loan much sooner but for the fact that he's been injured. It wasn't the best of debuts, but his fitness as well as the playing conditions were mitigating factors. With Rene Steer suspended and then Piergianni falling ill, we were left with half of our defence missing. With the question mark over McNamee's fitness I think Conor Marshall may well have filled in ahead of him (if he hadn't been sent out on loan), and I'm still not convinced about the timing of the Marshall loan deal coinciding with Steer's suspension.

As for the disallowed goal just before half time, It was a goal without doubt and reason I can say that is that the chap who attends every game and takes photos from the terraces took a beauty of the ball clearly over the line which most of us were able to look at however, I was stood 10 yards away and could't see it for the keepers body which also blocked the linesman , I would say it was equally impossible for the ref to be sure as by the time he reached the goal line the ball was back in play, one of those things I'm afraid.

I didn't see any photos, but from one viewing of the incident I couldn't be sure that the whole of the ball had crossed the whole of the line (and I was close to the incident), so I'm not going to criticise the ref for not awarding the goal. What I will say though is that the ref had to make a judgement based on a white ball on a white pitch at the foot of a white post, and had to decide whether or not that white ball had crossed a white line. It was very hard to follow the ball at times, and if the game was to go ahead then the decision not to use an orange or yellow ball has to be questioned. Maybe everyone would have been able to see the incident more clearly if the correct coloured ball had been used?

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
White ball on snow turns the game into a lottery IMO.
If the pitch was playable then the normal orange ball was needed  :police:

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »
Will agree to differ on the decision to play the game but just to clarify the point about the white ball. I raised the issue with their groundsman ( a lovely bloke ) and he said the only balls they had were white. So much for the big money club tag.

black n yella

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
[/quote]

I don't believe in the philosophy of the winning team always being the most dominant and the losing team being poor. I look at the goals scored, the only thing that matters.

Yesterday's result isn't likely to be down to bad luck or poor pitch conditions, but down to being sloppy at the back and conceding 2 goals within the first 20 minutes. Both teams played in the same conditions yet Harrogate obviously adapted to them better then ourselves. You can rule over the "disallowed" goal as much as you like but if we weren't in the position of being 2 down that wouldn't of mattered so greatly. It's all too easy to blame officials rather than examine the failings of the team. We may well of been dominant during the second half but failed to make our possession count which is sometimes our biggest problem, along with defensive errors.

It's a common misconception by football fans that performances are somehow meant to win games. It is indeed goals that win you games and regardless of yesterday's loss or any other game we've lost, it's the scoreline that ultimately decides the result. It's just how football works. A prime example of this would be our opening game against Barrow. Despite being under huge pressure throughout the game and them having numerous opportunities to score, they failed and we won. Some fans commented on how "lucky" we were to win. On the contrary, we defended excellently and they failed to beat our keeper.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 11:01:24 PM »
And a few snaps for those that don't do Facebook.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
And some more snaps so there's a shot of everyone  in the team.