Author Topic: No competitive game - what to do ?  (Read 6290 times)

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
No competitive game - what to do ?
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
With tomorrow not offering us a competitive game for the Pilgrims,  what are we all doing ?

I've looked at other local fixtures and the one that looks tasty is Spalding Utd vs Sheff FC,  offering the chance to see plenty of former Pilgrims on both sides.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: No competitive game - what to do ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Barrow Town v Anstey Nomads in the East Midlands Counties League, a new ground for me.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »
Barrow Town v Anstey Nomads in the East Midlands Counties League, a new ground for me.

Not much of a ground, to be honest. More of a fence around the edge of the pitch. I've seen our youth team play there, and i've seen Burton Albion play there in a pre season friendly.

If you're travelling that sort of distance anyway then you'd be better off at Shepshed vs Lye. Traditional non-league football ground with character and history, and yet not somewhere Boston seem to have played - at least not in my memory.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
Is there any other local grounds that you guys have not visited yet ?  I'm all for sticking my money in the local ones when we don't have a game ( well obviously not Lincoln City ) but the lower leagues within this area.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »

Not much of a ground, to be honest. More of a fence around the edge of the pitch. I've seen our youth team play there, and i've seen Burton Albion play there in a pre season friendly.

If you're travelling that sort of distance anyway then you'd be better off at Shepshed vs Lye. Traditional non-league football ground with character and history, and yet not somewhere Boston seem to have played - at least not in my memory.

Barrow is easier by a train, a short walk from the station via a pub...

Is there any other local grounds that you guys have not visited yet ?  I'm all for sticking my money in the local ones when we don't have a game ( well obviously not Lincoln City ) but the lower leagues within this area.

Stamford's new ground is on my to-do list.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »

Barrow is easier by a train, a short walk from the station via a pub...

Only one train per hour, though into Barrow. The bus service between the centre of Loughborough and centre of Shepshed is much more frequent, and drops off five mins walk from the ground. (use the church as a landmark and when you get there you can see the floodlights). There is also a pub directly opposite Shepshed's ground.

It's up to you, but I know which one i think is the best visit.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:58:14 PM »
I will mainly be chopping down trees with my new axe.

poshpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:14 PM »
Some of us havent bin 2 barrow town b4 mr collins and train fare from boston is cheaper. Each to their own i know where i would prefer 2 go. Shepshed have big backer apparently and i would prefer to spend my money at a team that doesnt have a sugar daddy.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 08:05:46 AM »
Visit the Quadrant site and volunteer to do an hour's digging? :angel:
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »
Some of us havent bin 2 barrow town b4 mr collins and train fare from boston is cheaper. Each to their own i know where i would prefer 2 go. Shepshed have big backer apparently and i would prefer to spend my money at a team that doesnt have a sugar daddy.

Fair enough, though I'm not sure who Shepshed's big backer is - they've had the same chairman for years. Locally Quorn have had a bit of money thrown at them, but never heard the same said about Shepshed. In terms of cheapest rail fa re from Boston then I'll take your word for it. But as you'rd travelling a station further to get to Barrow (compared with getting off at Loughborough for Shepshed), then I assume there's an anomaly with the ticket pricing.

If you end up at Barrow then enjoy the game. Just don't be too disappointed by the facilities which I would compare to Wyberton.

EDIT: not intending to offend anyone from Wyberton here. But if someone was taking a train to Boston for the sake of watching a match then I think I'd be recommending York Street, Tattershall Road, etc, ahead of Causeway Lane. I'm only really making the same point about Barrow.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:12:04 AM by leicester pilgrim »

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »
I will mainly be chopping down trees with my new axe.

Two trees have blown down overnight here so I will also be cutting logs!

black n yella

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »
Was the Spalding game any good left back ?

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »
Was the Spalding game any good left back ?

Yeah, for that level of football on a pitch which is not looked after as it should be by the owners ( council ) the home team still managed to pass it about well. In all fairness it could have been 5 or 6 to Spalding. Former pilgrims done well, Jamie Stevens is still way above that level and Chris Hall got man of the match.  And what with Stainfield at the back they always seem to look solid defensively when i've seen them.  Spalding's certainly on a roll !