Author Topic: remarkable.comparables  (Read 6881 times)

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
remarkable.comparables
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
Everyone, including me would think with some of the results and certainly the performances that form and points wise  we would be a lot worse off than this time last year

After 21games our record was;
W9, D7, L 5. Goals for 37 Against 29

After 21 games this season our record is;
W8, D7, L6. Goals for 30 Against 29

Points away from the play offs last season was four, have a quick look at the table this season and guess what...?

Suggesting, as again we probably all knew that had we adequately replaced Miller the seven goal shortfall wouldn't be there and actually we would have probably been sitting very comfortably in the play off positions.

So perhaps all is not yet lost and with Newsh now back...who knows what will happen in the mo the ahead?

Make what you like out of that nonsense ;D

hozzer

• View Profile
Re: remarkable.comparables
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

got a feeling that we may well continue in a similar vein to last season and finish 4 or 5 points shy of the play offs. Does this mean we have done well to continue with a similar level of results after the loss of Miller or is the lack of progress a concern.

against league 3, an idiots guide to making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

got a feeling that we may well continue in a similar vein to last season and finish 4 or 5 points shy of the play offs. Does this mean we have done well to continue with a similar level of results after the loss of Miller or is the lack of progress a concern.

Don,t go and spoil it now  Grimesy is getting all happy-clappy . :santa

The loss a prolific striker is not easy to overcome in any league , ask Liverpool .
Strikers are key to other CN play-off hopefulls ,  how will they pan out ?
Where will Walshaw finish the season ?  can,t see him hanging around at Harrogate much longer .
Will Solihull be able to hold on to Bogle ? Will Wocester hold on to Geddes ?   
Will other teams have strikers with long lay-offs .

Even Jerry Kyle can,t won,t be able to answer to that lot , so don,t you try BG . :santa

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
Not to bad, add to that 4 or 5 teams spending more this season and whiles we have not moved forward in our eyes we have not lost any ground dispite extra money spent at other teams

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 03:49:06 PM »
Miller was reasonably quiet before Christmas but truly came into his own once January kicked in. It was Newsh's goals that have been replaced in part by Southwell.

The impression that this season is worse than last is mainly predicated on a much worse home record than last year with the stats being better this due to the improved away results.

Let's see where we are in February and go from there

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 11:11:33 PM »
I can't help but feel there is a premise that things are absolutely, bloody, woeful this season.  I seem to think there was a similar feeling last year (all be it with some more entertaining games to watch) about this time.

Then Miller took hold and the rest was a chase to the end of the season.  In Southwell and Newsham we have the goals in the team to mount a challenge. We have the away form to mount a challenge.  We just need to change the home form and back them while doing so and who knows with a prevailing wind and a bit of luck something might happen.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

BigRichT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »
With reference to strikers we really do need to find a workhorse to slot in alongside Southwell. Someone to continually pressure the opponents back four, and make them work. I am currently not convinced Newsh is the man, but he has been a willing runner in the past and may prove to be just what we need.

On the subject of teams and goal scorers, here are the current league standings :-

Omar Bogle (Solihull Moors) 18 
 Adi Yussuf (Oxford City) 13 
 Adam Boyes (Guiseley) 12 
 Dayle Southwell (Boston United) 11 
 Andy Cook (Barrow) 11 
 Richard Allen (AFC Fylde) 10 
 James Walshaw (Harrogate Town) 10 
 Danny Glover (Hednesford Town) 9 
 Charlie Griffin (Gloucester City) 9 
 Jason Walker (Barrow) 9 
 Obi Anoruo (Colwyn Bay) 9 
 Kristian Dennis (Stockport County) 9

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
With reference to strikers we really do need to find a workhorse to slot in alongside Southwell. Someone to continually pressure the opponents back four, and make them work. I am currently not convinced Newsh is the man, but he has been a willing runner in the past and may prove to be just what we need.

On the subject of teams and goal scorers, here are the current league standings :-

Omar Bogle (Solihull Moors) 18 
 Adi Yussuf (Oxford City) 13 
 Adam Boyes (Guiseley) 12 
 Dayle Southwell (Boston United) 11 
 Andy Cook (Barrow) 11 
 Richard Allen (AFC Fylde) 10 
 James Walshaw (Harrogate Town) 10 
 Danny Glover (Hednesford Town) 9 
 Charlie Griffin (Gloucester City) 9 
 Jason Walker (Barrow) 9 
 Obi Anoruo (Colwyn Bay) 9 
 Kristian Dennis (Stockport County) 9

Quite a lot of those are the traditional 'carthorse' forward you talk of so I see your point.  Is Mark Jones not the wasp forward to Southwells finesse?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
Whilst Newsham and Southwell both have goals in them we have failed to score in both the games they have both started - Barrow and Leek.

In terms of how our season is going to go we have the potential (and quality) to be a top 5 side. Although we (like all teams need a bit of luck, next four games are crucial - need to win three as a minimum with three of those games (NFU being the exception) against bottom half sides.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
They both have goals in them, but not when played together as they are not suited. Jones (or someone of that ilk) or a runner like Miller plus Southwell or Newsh for me.

Tough choice but that's why I'm not the manager

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
Nobody is helping Southwell with goals. The next best are 3 defenders (Garns, Pidge, Mills) on 4
The midfield has been non existent for goals and so have the other strikers

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »
Midfield scoring was a huge issue last year as well, wrong tactics or simply not using the right type of players?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »
Midfield scoring was a huge issue last year as well, wrong tactics or simply not using the right type of players?

Two midfieders scored today which took one of them to teams second highest scorer .  two very good goals too .               I,m sure moaners like KON will disagree . ???

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
Garners finish was world class precise precision finishing! Top clash.Not bad GHM for a player you said was too slow nowadays!