Author Topic: FACT....we just aint good enough....  (Read 31343 times)

Terry dactyl

• View Profile
Re: FACT....we just aint good enough....
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
I did state at the beginning of the season, a concern is that with the new stadium taking centre stage the team may suffer.

Are we in a 'mid-table' holding pattern until the stadium is built and then the club passed onto a 'supporters trust'?

Totally agree with you, something I have said for a long time. I just hope that enough people "stick around" for when it does pass over to a trust.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
Pilgrim 86- A lot of people on here think you are a pedantic ****. Perhaps you could advise if that is an opinion or a fact! Dont bother to reply on my behalf as I am with Oxo and in future will only enter my view on the prediction league in future and let you and other deluded souls discuss inane topics.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
I just want to add that im not anti greene and why he is manager here he gets my support and so does the team. And i certainly dont think a change of manager at this point will be of benifit to the club or team. My point was that he needs to act a lot more proffesional in and around the club.
  As for the game itself TBH i just thought once again we was poor althou i dont agree with the comments about light midfield on this game, i thought we battled well in the middle but we really do need to get our passing game sorted as most the team have no idea how to pass and what each other is doing. There seems to be completly no awareness throu out the team from top to bottom

I think the vast majority of fans will endorse your views on Greene ,  and your view as the way it should be responded to Bostonshire .   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:22:49 PM by Ken Fox »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
I like to read peoples views regarding the games, players performances and all things football about BUFC indeed I often contribute but, the majority of posts by a minority of contributors regarding anything other t ;)

I think you should reconsider and continue contributing Mel .   You enjoy contributing so why should you stop just because a few posters put their opinions over in an abrasive manner ?     The ideal solution is for us all think before posting , any argument can be put over without using abrasive or swear words .

Your predictions are rubbish in any case  :)

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
The problem is people who know little about how to run a proffesional football club soon start calling for the managers head when results go the wrong way. I count myself in that brigade also by the way, chopping and changing managers is not the way forward in my opinion. I think we need to finish in the playoffs this season and if we don't I am quite happy to leave the big decisions to Mr Newton.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
Pilgrim 86- A lot of people on here think you are a pedantic ****. Perhaps you could advise if that is an opinion or a fact! Dont bother to reply on my behalf as I am with Oxo and in future will only enter my view on the prediction league in future and let you and other deluded souls discuss inane topics.

What's so precious about the prediction league?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
I remember Jason Lee being sacked due to a loss in the FA Cup against Altincham big crowd and atmosphere. Two shocking decisions for sending offs by the ref who the week after gave a ghost penalty at Man CIty the week after. A manager whose been their done it a higher level bought high standards a dress code and all the staff loved him where has all that gone are we any better off every player ate together and shook the big mans hand before leaving in their tie.  Now all managers have their own style which is great however the posts of we cannot change now seems a little without substance. Just my opinion I hope we turn it round with Dg.

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 11:45:05 PM »
I have to agree with FC, there is no professionalism with den greene, i only ever heard good reports from members of staff about Jason Lee and how he had the club running like a professional club. I am not saying i want Jason lee back but for me he was the closest to having a team that would of challenged in the play offs, he really was only two maybe three players away from having a very good team.

What annoys me is that, people really need to wake up and smell the coffee with Dennis Greene, he is certainly not all he cracks up to be, he got very lucky with last season, with how we had two goal scoring strikers who both got 20+, any manager that has two strikers that scored 20+ goals should ATLEAST finish in the play offs if not challenge for the league, we did neither. Yes it was a good season considering the disappointment of Graham Drury. But Den Greene is not a great manager, he only did well at St Neots because he had a lot of money, he doesnt have a great track record anywhere apart from st neots but like i previously stated, that was because he had a lot of money there. We went 2-1 down yesterday and then he brings on newsh and takes jonah off, we then start to panic and lump the ball forward? i am sorry but it doesnt take a genius to realise that neither newsh or southwell are going to win headers. Also we saw against leek (yes newsh isnt fully fit) but southwell and newsh cannot play up top together, no pace, no height and no physical presence. Centre backs will laugh all day all week to match day knowing they will be playing against newsh and southwell, i am sorry but this is the truth. Den does not know what to do if we are losing he panics and just tells the players to lump it forward. I thought last season i would give Den some time but the more and more i see of him and his tactics the more i feel he isnt a great manager, nearly every player that leaves hates him and are you telling me every player to leave the club has sour grapes? maybe one or two but not all, his man management is constantly questioned. He doesnt have any plan B at all and doesnt know what to do if the team goes a goal or two down, how many other teams we play against do you see stick their centre half up top when they go a goal down or just start lumping the ball? you dont see many i can tell you. We really do need somebody like rob scott to come in and try and save our season before it turns from bad to worse because we will only fall further and further behind the play off lot and then there is no way in getting back and im sorry nothing is dens fault always somebody elses or his playing budget, was it not the same last season?

I think its time something is done because its only going to get worse i am afraid. This is his team that he brought in so no excuses, i think jona is a good signing and admittedly i think the back line has looked quite good with marrs garner pidge tempest, steer and mills will work on the wings but we need two new centre midfielders, an experienced keeper and possibly one maybe two strikers because i just dont think newsh will cut it now after this injury, i am just being realistic about the situations guys.   

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 12:48:49 AM »
Some good points Swinshead Pilgrim. Jason Lee was and is a decent bloke and everyone from John Blackwell to players who left the club under him spoke very highly of Lee, his fault was sticking with Ward and Stainsfield and not bringing in a couple of centre halfs. Jason Lee often pointed to the budget for the reason why this was never rectified. We generally played decent football under Lee when he stopped playing himself and encouraged the likes of SWD, Newsh, Milnes and Ross etc to play a more pleasing style of football. Jason Lee was often questioned for being unable to bring players in and accused of not having the right contacts. Drury came in and bought in a load of "lumpers" from lower down the league and produced the worst team I have ever seen during my time supporting the club. Greene came in and to be fair bought in a couple of top class centre halfs in Pidge and Garner which we haven't had since Canners got injured and never rediscovered his form and Pearson moved on to Grimsby. Only issue since has been getting the central midfield in front of them sorted. Personally I would like to see Dixon starting as he is the most capable of partly solving the midfield fluency problem at the moment. As regards to having two 20+ scorers credit has to go to Greene for bringing Miller in last season who was nothing short of sensational. Credit has to also go for finding another in Southwell who despite being a different type of player will get 20+ barring injury, he is an intelligent play who works hard for the team and is clinical in the box. Main difference between this year and last up front is that Newsham hasn't been fit yet and we don't have the money for three top quality forwards. With Newsham back (hopefully) now I think he could partner Southwell. Both have very good footballing brains for non league players and could create chances for each other if we play the right way and don't lump the ball eight foot in the air.

Agreed that the central midfield position needs to be looked at and hopefully Dixon could make a difference if his loan deal is extended and he is started. Goalkeeper wise hopefully Lincoln lose Tue and Farman can return if not someone else with experience needs to come in ASAP.

kodger

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »

What's so precious about the prediction league?
Pretty much my thoughts...surely it's the most 'inane' topic ever...

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
I have to agree with FC, there is no professionalism with den greene, i only ever heard good reports from members of staff about Jason Lee and how he had the club running like a professional club. I am not saying i want Jason lee back but for me he was the closest to having a team that would of challenged in the play offs, he really was only two maybe three players away from having a very good team.

What annoys me is that, people really need to wake up and smell the coffee with Dennis Greene, he is certainly not all he cracks up to be, he got very lucky with last season, with how we had two goal scoring strikers who both got 20+, any manager that has two strikers that scored 20+ goals should ATLEAST finish in the play offs if not challenge for the league, we did neither. Yes it was a good season considering the disappointment of Graham Drury. But Den Greene is not a great manager, he only did well at St Neots because he had a lot of money, he doesnt have a great track record anywhere apart from st neots but like i previously stated, that was because he had a lot of money there. We went 2-1 down yesterday and then he brings on newsh and takes jonah off, we then start to panic and lump the ball forward? i am sorry but it doesnt take a genius to realise that neither newsh or southwell are going to win headers. Also we saw against leek (yes newsh isnt fully fit) but southwell and newsh cannot play up top together, no pace, no height and no physical presence. Centre backs will laugh all day all week to match day knowing they will be playing against newsh and southwell, i am sorry but this is the truth. Den does not know what to do if we are losing he panics and just tells the players to lump it forward. I thought last season i would give Den some time but the more and more i see of him and his tactics the more i feel he isnt a great manager, nearly every player that leaves hates him and are you telling me every player to leave the club has sour grapes? maybe one or two but not all, his man management is constantly questioned. He doesnt have any plan B at all and doesnt know what to do if the team goes a goal or two down, how many other teams we play against do you see stick their centre half up top when they go a goal down or just start lumping the ball? you dont see many i can tell you. We really do need somebody like rob scott to come in and try and save our season before it turns from bad to worse because we will only fall further and further behind the play off lot and then there is no way in getting back and im sorry nothing is dens fault always somebody elses or his playing budget, was it not the same last season?

I think its time something is done because its only going to get worse i am afraid. This is his team that he brought in so no excuses, i think jona is a good signing and admittedly i think the back line has looked quite good with marrs garner pidge tempest, steer and mills will work on the wings but we need two new centre midfielders, an experienced keeper and possibly one maybe two strikers because i just dont think newsh will cut it now after this injury, i am just being realistic about the situations guys.

Some good comments but take issue with call for Rob Scott , remember Rob,s conflicts with fans ?
Also Rob was a advocate of hoofball and seemed unable to produce a good plan B ,  seemed unable to play other than 442 . and this continued at Grimsby .    We fell lucky with Rob and Paul as they were able to bring an almost full squad of players with  proven play-off pedigree assembled by Houldsworth at Ilkeston .

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
Hurst and Scott worked well as a team both here and at Ilkeston but I thought that it was always Hurst that had the more tactical viewpoint whereas Scott was the ranter and raver.  i don't think that Scott would work on his own.

At this moment, i think that some one Greene's actions (mainly the "knobhead-gate") are not befitting of the role of Manager of BUFC.  If there was a retraction and apology then i agree that we can say that it was a misjudgment and we can move on.  But, correct me if i am wrong here, this has not occurred and i think those who are unhappy with that action are more than entitled to refer to it.  As for the incident brought up in this thread about the bar, i am not going to comment as i don't know the context of such a comment.

More important are the matters on the pitch.  Last year we didn't get lucky with 2 20+ centre forwards.  We scouted players and brought in players the manager thought could do that role and it worked.  Also, i believe that it wasn't until after Christmas that miller really hit his straps and it was at this time that Newsh dropped off and got injured.  Before Christmas it was Newsh who was scoring for fun and miller playing the support act.

Before the season, i thought that we would finish 12th as i didn't think that the squad looked balanced and was particularly worried about the forward line. this appears to have not been that wide of the mark, despite Southwell stepping up to the mark with his goals so far.

The most worrying thing is the fact that we chop and change so much, not only personnel but formation.  This is not the hallmarks of a promotion chasing team.  At the end of the day, we concede too many goals (whether that is down to the keeper, defence, midfield cover or a combination of the both), the midfield is lacking potency and the hoofball isn't suited to the players we have. 

Things aren't right at the moment but are no worse than i expected with the side assembled in august and assumed loan support.  They are however below the standards we should aspire to be.  We won't compete with the new riches of the teams from the North West coast but we should be competitive, especially at home.  We currently are not.

This is the most important thing about retaining crowds.  They not only look at table position but on home performances.  If we were 8th but had an unbeaten home record then the crowds will be higher than if we were in the same position with a terrible home record and unbeaten away from York Street.

At the moment i would give Greene time (Christmas) but if there is no progress at all (or worse and we are looking over our shoulders) then action may need to be taken.  I want him to succeed and think that he will, but the team have to be better than they currently are.

As for the sacking of Lee, I was at Gloucester for his last game in the league (about a month after the unlucky defeat to Alty in the cup that was referred to) and that was one of the most inept and tactically clueless performances that i have had the misfortune to have seen.  It was inevitable that he had to go at that stage but Drury was even worse thereafter.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 06:13:03 PM »
We are a Northern league team, and as such should have a manager that is au fait with the northern football fraternity, someone who should know what a northern orientated football club requires. But, alas, we are stuck with a Southern league manager who seems to only look to the south for his players - loans excluded.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »
Hurst and Scott worked well as a team both here and at Ilkeston but I thought that it was always Hurst that had the more tactical viewpoint whereas Scott was the ranter and raver.  i don't think that Scott would work on his own.

At this moment, i think that some one Greene's actions (mainly the "knobhead-gate") are not befitting of the role of Manager of BUFC.  If there was a retraction and apology then i agree that we can say that it was a misjudgment and we can move on.  But, correct me if i am wrong here, this has not occurred and i think those who are unhappy with that action are more than entitled to refer to it.  As for the incident brought up in this thread about the bar, i am not going to comment as i don't know the context of such a comment.

More important are the matters on the pitch.  Last year we didn't get lucky with 2 20+ centre forwards.  We scouted players and brought in players the manager thought could do that role and it worked.  Also, i believe that it wasn't until after Christmas that miller really hit his straps and it was at this time that Newsh dropped off and got injured.  Before Christmas it was Newsh who was scoring for fun and miller playing the support act.

Before the season, i thought that we would finish 12th as i didn't think that the squad looked balanced and was particularly worried about the forward line. this appears to have not been that wide of the mark, despite Southwell stepping up to the mark with his goals so far.

The most worrying thing is the fact that we chop and change so much, not only personnel but formation.  This is not the hallmarks of a promotion chasing team.  At the end of the day, we concede too many goals (whether that is down to the keeper, defence, midfield cover or a combination of the both), the midfield is lacking potency and the hoofball isn't suited to the players we have. 

Things aren't right at the moment but are no worse than i expected with the side assembled in august and assumed loan support.  They are however below the standards we should aspire to be.  We won't compete with the new riches of the teams from the North West coast but we should be competitive, especially at home.  We currently are not.

This is the most important thing about retaining crowds.  They not only look at table position but on home performances.  If we were 8th but had an unbeaten home record then the crowds will be higher than if we were in the same position with a terrible home record and unbeaten away from York Street.

At the moment i would give Greene time (Christmas) but if there is no progress at all (or worse and we are looking over our shoulders) then action may need to be taken.  I want him to succeed and think that he will, but the team have to be better than they currently are.

As for the sacking of Lee, I was at Gloucester for his last game in the league (about a month after the unlucky defeat to Alty in the cup that was referred to) and that was one of the most inept and tactically clueless performances that i have had the misfortune to have seen.  It was inevitable that he had to go at that stage but Drury was even worse thereafter.

Difficult to disagree with any of the above contents .  As the last paragraph demonstrates sacking a manager does not mean you are sure the next one will be better . Unless ofcause those calling for the managers sack know a formula to select one that is  sure to be better .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »
We are a Northern league team, and as such should have a manager that is au fait with the northern football fraternity, someone who should know what a northern orientated football club requires. But, alas, we are stuck with a Southern league manager who seems to only look to the south for his players - loans excluded.
as far as I know only Rene Steer is London based.
cant see getting a "northern" manager would help.
DG lives in Boston!
New Keeper is heading south from Scotland.