Author Topic: oh dear Den!  (Read 65652 times)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: oh dear Den!
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »
Southwell has been a good signing. Scored 1 in 2, has age on his side and experience of playing in the league above.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2014, 07:50:07 AM »
I'm still not convinced Carl. On the one hand as you say, you can't argue with his goals return thus far, certainly looks sharp given a sight of goal, but he could, should be contributing a lot more with his off the ball movement, closing defenders down, showing aggression in challenges and at least compete for headers, and his first touch needs improvement. With the lack of any pace he could be best suited to playing in the hole, assuming DG can find someone to play in front of him? But without any competition or alternative and knowing you're guaranteed to start every game because of it is hardly going to keep him or any other player on his toes is it

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »
I'm still not convinced Carl. On the one hand as you say, you can't argue with his goals return thus far, certainly looks sharp given a sight of goal, but he could, should be contributing a lot more with his off the ball movement, closing defenders down, showing aggression in challenges and at least compete for headers, and his first touch needs improvement. With the lack of any pace he could be best suited to playing in the hole, assuming DG can find someone to play in front of him? But without any competition or alternative and knowing you're guaranteed to start every game because of it is hardly going to keep him or any other player on his toes is it

I agree with that BG . The point of my previous post was to illustrate paying big wages to get a "proven " striker is not sure to succed .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
So you want us to sign a complete forward? Which don't exist at this level...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »

No Pilgrim any forward would do mate, and there are plenty out there they just have to be found and if not as you allude at this level certainly at lower levels, I have lost count of the times we've almost ridiculed signings made of young (18/24) up and coming players from leagues below us, its almost as though we have become selectively snobbish, but NL football is littered with examples of such players who have successfully made the transition upwards and if we haven't the money as is the case, isn't it logical that's where we look. It shouldn't be a prerequisite as appaears to be the case for any signings made to have had a link with Histon or St Neots?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »
A big young cheap , ball-holding forward . . just as long as its not Charley Sanders  :)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »
No Pilgrim any forward would do mate, and there are plenty out there they just have to be found and if not as you allude at this level certainly at lower levels, I have lost count of the times we've almost ridiculed signings made of young (18/24) up and coming players from leagues below us, its almost as though we have become selectively snobbish, but NL football is littered with examples of such players who have successfully made the transition upwards and if we haven't the money as is the case, isn't it logical that's where we look. It shouldn't be a prerequisite as appaears to be the case for any signings made to have had a link with Histon or St Neots?

I wonder if we've ever sent a scout to look at Loughborough Dynamo FC?

My reason for bringing this up is that they've made a flying start in the EvoStik South league where they're currently second in the table. However it now emerges that their players haven't been paid for several weeks and their coaching and management team have just walked out. Given their position in the table I'm sure they have players who could play at a higher level, and with their financial circumstances I imagine its only a matter of time before other clubs start tempting those players away. It's similar to what happened last season with Histon and when we picked up Mills and Dowie.

I've seen Loughborough once this campaign - I must have caught them on an off-day as they lost 6-0 at home to Spalding! But before that they had won seven in a row in League and Cup.

Speaking of Spalding, Mark Jones was only a sub in that 6-0 win over Loughborough. I know people on here don't like to talk about ex players, but I think Jones is too good to be on Spalding's bench. And might he be the type of player that we need?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »

I wonder if we've ever sent a scout to look at Loughborough Dynamo FC?

My reason for bringing this up is that they've made a flying start in the EvoStik South league where they're currently second in the table. However it now emerges that their players haven't been paid for several weeks and their coaching and management team have just walked out. Given their position in the table I'm sure they have players who could play at a higher level, and with their financial circumstances I imagine its only a matter of time before other clubs start tempting those players away. It's similar to what happened last season with Histon and when we picked up Mills and Dowie.

I've seen Loughborough once this campaign - I must have caught them on an off-day as they lost 6-0 at home to Spalding! But before that they had won seven in a row in League and Cup.

Speaking of Spalding, Mark Jones was only a sub in that 6-0 win over Loughborough. I know people on here don't like to talk about ex players, but I think Jones is too good to be on Spalding's bench. And might he be the type of player that we need?

Yes but Jones turned us down in the summer but if he getting thrown on the bench it maybe one to watch

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »

Most teams are looking for that proific striker , if there is plenty "out there" why are other managers also missing them?   Recall Greene beating other teams and signing a striker from Stamford last season ? .
Ricky Millers don,t come along every day .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
A big young cheap , ball-holding forward . . just as long as its not Charley Sanders  :)
Where's Mickeys Stones?

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Not saying its easy GHM evidently it isn't but most teams will have three. Our three include one loanee, one injured since January and one even though he's doing okay we are forced to play in every game. Don't you think after nearly four months we would have found someone. Or is that unfair?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
Not saying its easy GHM evidently it isn't but most teams will have three. Our three include one loanee, one injured since January and one even though he's doing okay we are forced to play in every game. Don't you think after nearly four months we would have found someone. Or is that unfair?

Is it unfair ?  As I said most managers are always looking for strikers and fail , so I think most mangers will think its unfair .     Simon Weaver thought he had pulled it off in the summer by signing Walshaw and Kendall on combined reputed pay of £1.5k+ a week , and this pair of "proven" scorers combined have scored less goals than Southwell .     Don,t think a football managers job can be as easy as we think .

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
Stones and Sanders up front would be a real handful-throw in Tyrone Kirk on the wing to entertain and we are sorted!

Odin

« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »
Sanders keeps getting a mention from a FEW loyal fans. It doesn't matter how big you are if you can't stay on a pitch for long you are a waste of space and a liability. If he was any good I think someone would have snapped him up by now don't you. We only hang onto him 'cos he's cheap and available if we needed him in an emergency. There is a level of football he could play at but it's certainly not ours.

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
Anybody else think it's worth having a look at Ryan Robbins from stamford doesn't always start for them but bangs the goals in