Author Topic: U21's Tonight at The Jakemans Stadium  (Read 5376 times)

cookie

• View Profile
U21's Tonight at The Jakemans Stadium
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Boston United under-21s are in action at The Jakemans Stadium tonight with the visit of a Doncaster Rovers XI.
Striker Marc Newsham will again feature for the Pilgrims as he continues his comeback from a long-standing knee injury.
A few trialists are once again expected to appear for Glen Maddison’s side with quite a few of the young first team squad members making appearances as well.
The Wilson and Co Vauxhall Stand will be open for spectators, with admission priced £2 for adults and £1 for concessions.
The Pilgrim Lounge is also open for refreshments!
PLEASE NOTE KICK OFF IS 7.00PM

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: U21's Tonight at The Jakemans Stadium
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
Won 2-1, Doran with both after they took the lead. Felix and Barlow played 45 mins, and Newsh made 70 - had a few chances, one a cracking volley. Hollingsworth played the full 90, as did Marshall.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 06:36:34 AM »
I'd imagine Newsham is going to have to be involved in the squad on Saturday. With it being the FA Cup week I assume we won't be able to play the loan players Farman and Robinson, and Piergianni (plus Sanders) will be suspended. So we've fewer players to start with, and yet can name up to seven subs in the cup. Looking at our squad page I think everybody we have available will be involved - including Hewitt on the bench. If Newsham isn't involved then we're a man short, and even if he is involved then we've no cover for last minute injury and availability issues.

Do we still have Conor Smythe on dual registration? Initially that was the case between us and Lincoln United, though it looks like he's been playing for Worksop.

I wasn't there last night, but did any of the trialists do enough to sign forms and earn a place in the squad for Saturday? It was around this time last year that we bolstered our numbers with Indy Aujla.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »
The young lad (number 14) who came on at half time, initially as an inside-left, but then up front looked good. McKue, the left-back, looked OK as well - we are short in this area since Reynolds left
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
Good game to watch, end to end. Probably should have been 3-0 up before half time on good chances created.
Niall Doran showed what a talent he can be with a superb performance in the second half, playing against kids his same age he looked a class above, it's still a bit different in the Conference North. Promising signs though especially from trialists coming in and showing what they can do, as well as giving 5 or 6 first teamers some fitness.

All in all a really good nights entertainment, keep coming through the turnstiles and showing your support, it is very much appreciated, not just by the club but by the young players out there on the pitch.

Great to see my old striking partner Paul Wilson who is head of the Academy at Doncaster Rovers and also has Ronnie Reid working under him, who some of you younger ones may not know is a former United player and manager.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Agree that Doran played well second half, especially when Newsham came off and he played up front with the trialist no10. In a midfield 3 for the first team Doran often gets crowded on the ball/loses the ball to a bigger lad/ keeps the ball too long and slows the game too much. He obviously has quality and looks better in a more advance roll. Felix and Barlow caused them all sorts of problems first half in the wide positions and we created lots of chances. Big mention to Hollingsworth who controlled the game in the middle for the second week running for the u21's.

Of the trialists no 10 didn't look good enough for our first team and squandered several chances (including a couple of sitters) first half, wasn't especially quick and didn't have a great touch. Nyoni and the no 5 (not sure of his name) have both played together for the two u21 games. Nyoni lacks composure on the ball, and despite being around a while now didn't organize a back line with two young full backs. No 5 has been excellent in both games, a big lad who is quick and good in the air, although this is a area we already covered well in, could possibly be worth a place on the bench as cover Sat with Pidge suspended?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »
Good entertaining game which vindicated the decision to vacate the Lincs League ,  a better test and  run out for players against decent opposittion .   Impressed with Hollingsworth who appears to be making the transition from youth football to mens football rapidly .

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
Surely Den won't risk Newsh in a game that regardless of the team we put out and no disrespect intended here at all "we should" prove too strong. There are far more important matches wenwill need him for

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
I don't think anyone expects Newsh to start at the weekend, but a 10 minute run out *if* we are comfortably ahead will help him.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
Ronnie Reid, now there is a really nice bloke, always approachable, always had time for Ron.
That doesn't mean he didn't have his moments though! I remember sitting in the main stand one evening when some, how can i put this, unhappy supporter voiced his opinion about Ron's tactics.
Ron did explain to the bloke that there was a reason why he did what he did. Not satisfied, the bloke kept moaning and in the end swearing at Ron. Then the mild mannered Ron changed and told the bloke to see him in the car park after the game and they could discuss tactics and he would explain to him why he was wrong. After that nothing more was said and the bloke moved away and sat somewhere else.  :D

Check the grassy knoll and the chips and curry.  :bunny 
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:45 PM »
Lonegunman,
He still sits in same place indeed I have sat there for 25 yrs know and yes I did meet him after the game, in the club house to be exact, and we aired our differences and Ronnie decided he was still right and left it with a shake of hands. Fell out originally at away game after a comment by him