Author Topic: O/T E Petition for Boston Bypass if anyone is interested.  (Read 20654 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T E Petition for Boston Bypass if anyone is interested.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
On Look North last week they were debating The Boston Bypass.  Lincoln are getting a Bypass with a lower volume of traffic than Boston.  Seems fishy to me.

So are Grantham and Spalding. Why? Only the lunatics know.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
I'm pleased that people are beginning to highlight the projects going ahead in other parts of the county.  Lincoln has announced several schemes and indeed, I believe they eventually plan to complete a ring road as well as a relief road through the centre.  They always seem to "find the funding" for their schemes and I have never seen any statements saying that Lincoln needs to "make a case for a bypass" or "it's too expensive" etc etc.  It is simply considered as a given that these scheme's should go ahead. 

What we have had over the past 20 years that I have been following this (and probably much much longer) is just a long succesion of excuses, delaying tactics and so on by Lincolnshire County Council, all designed to just fob us off.  Whenever the subject gets hot, they release a few statements to cool the situation, we all forget about it for a while, and then its back to business as usual.  To me this is a failing by the politicians who have represented us.  Its been all to easy to just accept it and keep the staus quo, while all the time literaly decades are passing.  What we need is a sustained effort to hold the powers that be to account.  It's hard, but not impossible to do this as a group of indivduals.  However, I would love to see a decent MP spearhead the campaign.  Such an individual would have it within their power to ask the difficult questions of both the local authority and the government.

It seems to me though, that Boston is in general just a political football.  Used as a cushty safe seat by career tories and now by UKIP to try and tap into the anti foreigner/european sentiment in the town.  None of them actually give a damn and once elected would simply pay lip service to local probelems. No doubt tho, when one of our candidates makes a vague mention of the bypass, we will be sucked in, hook line and sinker inti voting for them.   

Personally I'm fed up of hearing soundbites from LCC, MP's, Councilors etc, I'd like to see some real action and some real information.  I'd like to see detailed plans/costings/reports that make the case that Boston DOESN'T require a bypass.  Then I'd like to see the same rationaled applied to the other schemes going ahead in the county in Lincoln, Spalding and Grantham.  I'm fed up of seeing the people in this town taken for mugs.

black n yella

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
I'm pleased that people are beginning to highlight the projects going ahead in other parts of the county.  Lincoln has announced several schemes and indeed, I believe they eventually plan to complete a ring road as well as a relief road through the centre.  They always seem to "find the funding" for their schemes and I have never seen any statements saying that Lincoln needs to "make a case for a bypass" or "it's too expensive" etc etc.  It is simply considered as a given that these scheme's should go ahead. 

What we have had over the past 20 years that I have been following this (and probably much much longer) is just a long succesion of excuses, delaying tactics and so on by Lincolnshire County Council, all designed to just fob us off.  Whenever the subject gets hot, they release a few statements to cool the situation, we all forget about it for a while, and then its back to business as usual.  To me this is a failing by the politicians who have represented us.  Its been all to easy to just accept it and keep the staus quo, while all the time literaly decades are passing.  What we need is a sustained effort to hold the powers that be to account.  It's hard, but not impossible to do this as a group of indivduals.  However, I would love to see a decent MP spearhead the campaign.  Such an individual would have it within their power to ask the difficult questions of both the local authority and the government.

It seems to me though, that Boston is in general just a political football.  Used as a cushty safe seat by career tories and now by UKIP to try and tap into the anti foreigner/european sentiment in the town.  None of them actually give a damn and once elected would simply pay lip service to local probelems. No doubt tho, when one of our candidates makes a vague mention of the bypass, we will be sucked in, hook line and sinker inti voting for them.   

Personally I'm fed up of hearing soundbites from LCC, MP's, Councilors etc, I'd like to see some real action and some real information.  I'd like to see detailed plans/costings/reports that make the case that Boston DOESN'T require a bypass.  Then I'd like to see the same rationaled applied to the other schemes going ahead in the county in Lincoln, Spalding and Grantham.  I'm fed up of seeing the people in this town taken for mugs.

+1
I'm voting for you sir  8)

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
Make that +2

Odin

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
Maxross MP, has a good ring to it. I'm in.

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »
I have said for years that the problem is that there are too many rivers/ drains/ watercourses and the railway to cross (at least twice) and an LCC looney confirmed it last week on Look North. I also like the cut of Maxross's jib. Well said Sir.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »

Agree with all those comments , the problem is we get a tory MP who sees this as a comfortable safe seat , no need to upset his masters with local problems .   
It now looks as if this complacentcy may have back fired and delivered the seat to UKIP.   If this turns out to be the case B&S constituentcy will have become a "marginal" seat overnight .
Now governments always seem to find that little bit extra cash to spend in those areas ,  look at Lincoln ,  remember Labour/Barbara Castle /Humber Bridge ?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
You would think with Lincolnshire having a thriving tourist industry, that the powers that be would see that Boston is the blockage in the artery to the east coast.  I would dread to think how many people south of the midlands do not visit Skegness due to the bottleneck in Boston.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »

And then to add in those temporary traffic lights, which I didn't see till I'd driven past them. Not only are they small, they're also so low down that pedestrians can stand in front of them, as they were on Saturday afternoon. Routes with high freight volume get additional traffic lights added which are taller than normal, not smaller. I'm surprised there's not some legal issue about it.

There will be a legal issue when somebody sues...the lights are too low.
The lights are on at BBC Highways Department but there is nobody at home  >:(

To add to the bypass debate, if anyone's driven to Kettering recently they've seen the lovely new A43 Geddington bypass just after Corby. I've been on it a few times now since it opened this summer. Four miles of dual carriageway, a couple of roundabouts and bridges costing 34 million, and I've never seen an emptier road in my life.
I'm aware that a Boston Bypass would be more than 34 million for even a single lane road, but if money can be so totally wasted on this dual carriageway it makes you wonder exactly who is making these decisions and what kickbacks they're receiving.

At the moment LCC is wasting thousands of pounds of taxpayer's money (£100k+) on defending a High Court case over a small wind turbine which barely generates enough power to run a microwave oven if the wind is blowing. This is happening in a village on the outskirts of Boston
The drive for renewable energy obviously outweighs the delays in the drive across town, in the minds of the Councillors anyway  :dan

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
There was a nasty ding on the dual carriageway outside the Bluewater shopping centre today.
Same reason, temporary traffic lights in the roadworks were too low to be seen when pedestrians were stood in front of them waiting to cross... it seems we are not the only ones with this problem  :-\ 

black n yella

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 10:24:14 AM »
1,093 signatures so far. A long way off the 100,000 needed to be considered for debate in parliament. Without any serious publicity this campaign is already fizzling out, probably much to the delight of the politicians. I doubt it was ever really going to take off when you consider the aging population and their lack of computer access / knowhow.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:48 PM »
1,093 signatures so far. A long way off the 100,000 needed to be considered for debate in parliament. Without any serious publicity this campaign is already fizzling out, probably much to the delight of the politicians. I doubt it was ever really going to take off when you consider the aging population and their lack of computer access / knowhow.

Even the Support the Quadrant petition has got 1393 signitures!
The biggest problem is making people aware there is a petition available.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »
The biggest problem is the politicions will ignore it,  they don,t give two hoots about petitions as they can easily be binned .   A few hundred confronting them on a regular basis with the complaint will be more likely to motivate them .

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »

Hold on there fella. That's a bit ageist. I am almost 80, have 2 laptops, smart phone and a tablet, entirely self taught and probably have a better knowledge of computing than you. Also a good number of my friends between 75 and 85 are also computer literate.  ::)