Author Topic: BASTOCK OR EMERY TO RETURN  (Read 11133 times)

DNaisbitt

• View Profile
BASTOCK OR EMERY TO RETURN
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:08 PM »
Something I thought you Boston fans may find of interest!!

As some of you may be aware, Boston United Manager Dennis Greene has been looking to strengthen his forward line, however I shouldn't think many of you know that he is also looking for a new number 1, Greene hasn't been totally convinced by either of his keepers so far this season, which has meant chopping and changing already. The two keepers that he is thought to be in talks with are Paul Bastock and Michael Emery who both live in the town.

As a lot of you may already know former Boston United keeper Paul Bastock is currently playing for Royston Town FC in the Southern League Division One Central. It is thought that Greene would like to bring back his experience, Bastock is also keen to return to Boston after Royston have already been knocked out of the FA Cup and despite currently sitting 5th in the table are already 5 points behind leaders Kettering after just 6 games. Bastock is said to be keen to return to what he regards as his second home.

Greene's other target is Gainsborough Trinity's current number one Michael Emery. Emery is currently keeping former Doncaster Rovers & Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Jan Budtz out of the side. Emery impressed Greene during Gainsborough's 3-1 win over Boston in pre season and kept a clean sheet at the weekend against Bradford Park Avenue. Emery is also thought to have been in discussion with the Boston manager and is keen on the move due to the amount of travelling to and from Gainsborough.

Bastock and Emery are good friends and have spent time together at both Rushden & Diamonds and St Albans City, both have a lot to bring to the side but who will Greene opt for?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: BASTOCK OR EMERY TO RETURN
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
Both would be backward steps. I think DG has to show confidence in Vince, and keep him in the team.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 11:36:16 PM »
Both would be backward steps. I think DG has to show confidence in Vince, and keep him in the team.
A backward step? Micky Emery is a good keeper who BUFC had on paper and then let go 2 weeks later back in 2012. However, Vince is also a good keeper and with the Club disbanding the Reserves there is now only room for one keeper at Club. If that is the case, I agree Sam gets the nod! However, don't forget Andy Hewitt - far too good to be a benchwarmer. Both Emery and Hewitt are worthy of regular play on a Saturday.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
Yes, a backward step. Emery is only playing for Trinity at the moment, because Budtz went out of the country and missed a game - they won and he played well, so deservedly kept his place.

We need 2 keepers, you cannot get by on just one. What if the keeper gets injured in the warm up? Or wakes up one Saturday, ill?

"Both Emery and Hewitt are worthy of regular play on a Saturday" - maybe so, but not for Boston United (in my opinion).
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »
Something I thought you Boston fans may find of interest!!

As some of you may be aware, Boston United Manager Dennis Greene has been looking to strengthen his forward line, however I shouldn't think many of you know that he is also looking for a new number 1, Greene hasn't been totally convinced by either of his keepers so far this season, which has meant chopping and changing already. The two keepers that he is thought to be in talks with are Paul Bastock and Michael Emery who both live in the town.

As a lot of you may already know former Boston United keeper Paul Bastock is currently playing for Royston Town FC in the Southern League Division One Central. It is thought that Greene would like to bring back his experience, Bastock is also keen to return to Boston after Royston have already been knocked out of the FA Cup and despite currently sitting 5th in the table are already 5 points behind leaders Kettering after just 6 games. Bastock is said to be keen to return to what he regards as his second home.

Greene's other target is Gainsborough Trinity's current number one Michael Emery. Emery is currently keeping former Doncaster Rovers & Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Jan Budtz out of the side. Emery impressed Greene during Gainsborough's 3-1 win over Boston in pre season and kept a clean sheet at the weekend against Bradford Park Avenue. Emery is also thought to have been in discussion with the Boston manager and is keen on the move due to the amount of travelling to and from Gainsborough.

Bastock and Emery are good friends and have spent time together at both Rushden & Diamonds and St Albans City, both have a lot to bring to the side but who will Greene opt for?

A bit of mischieve I think .  Sadly Bazza was past Con N level a couple of years ago .   "  Mike Emery current number one " ,   you could,nt even  bother to do a little research Jan Budtz is current no 1  .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
I was at the pub last night with a mate of Paul Cavell.... shall I ask him to send his mobile number to DG?! I also work with Chris Townsend's daughter. Anyone remember him? He got a hat-trick vs Kettering once - I'll text him now...

I'd love to have Bazza back for sentimental reasons, but sadly don't think he's an improvement over what we've got.... is he?

Willy Gambles Left Boot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »
Give him a buzz Pete, I work with Paul Cavelles wife. Apparently he's scouting at Luton at the mo. Shall I ask her if he fancies a game too?

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
Transfers between teams in same division used to carry transfer fees ( think this still applies) even for non contract players
If  Greene is in "talks" with Emery, hope he has put in the required notice to approach

Although it makes sense on paper, why didn't Greene approach him (Emery) in the summer?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »
Transfers between teams in same division used to carry transfer fees ( think this still applies) even for non contract players
If  Greene is in "talks" with Emery, hope he has put in the required notice to approach

Although it makes sense on paper, why didn't Greene approach him (Emery) in the summer?

No fee unless he has a contract regardless of league. But i doubt theres any talks anyway just a lot of here say

artie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
Is it April the first today  ;D

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 06:37:59 PM »
Regardless of all the above as I have said in a previous post we are in need of an experienced keeper. Sam May turn out to be a decent keeper in time but he is not ready and the defenders look unsure when high crosses come into his area, defenders need to know that when the keeper comes for crosses he is going to catch the majority of them sadly that is not the case at the moment. I honestly think we need a new keeper more than we need an additional striker, sorry but just my opinion.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
I stick by Gledhill for number one. Bastock not at our level, Emery is only good enough for a number 2. Vince ok as number 2 also. Hewit moved on to get games .

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
Didn't go today due to work but sounds like he had another poor game. Kicking was awful against NFU and gifted Tamworth their goal.  Two options for me, either release him and add his wages to the kitty for another forward or I wouldn't mind either Bazza or Emery. Bazza is not past it and was no1 for St Albans who won promotion from this level in the South last season and Emery was very good in the tin pot cup game, kicked well, commanded his area and was a match for us (although we didn't create much that game.)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
Didn't go today due to work but sounds like he had another poor game. Kicking was awful against NFU and gifted Tamworth their goal.  Two options for me, either release him and add his wages to the kitty for another forward or I wouldn't mind either Bazza or Emery. Bazza is not past it and was no1 for St Albans who won promotion from this level in the South last season and Emery was very good in the tin pot cup game, kicked well, commanded his area and was a match for us (although we didn't create much that game.)

Bazza did not win promotion from this level last season ,   they won promotion to this level and presumably released Bazza .        As Tash says I think we maybe need a new keeper more urgently than a striker .   Give Gladhill a few more games and if no improvement get rid along with Vince and replace with a more experience keeper .

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
Sounds as if our keeper was a bit dodgy at times today, but improved in second half. not sure about either of them at present. emery let in 4 for tinpot today and bazza must be history. Think we probably will have to get a new keeper sooner rather than later, preferably one that has a presence and controls the area, we always look suspect at set pieces but in fairness have for several years