Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 7253 times)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Today's game
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
Unlucky to get nothing out of a game in which the opposition created nothing.
Gledhill had very little to do only save I remember was in the middle of the goal from range.
Pidge and Garner were outstanding at the back as usual - I think we are going to see the benefit of them having played together for a good 50 odd games now this season.
Mills was unlucky with the goal 99/100 he will either put it over the bar/out for a corner or into the 'keepers arms.
Steer was a bit more restrained today with Ferriby's biggest threat coming down his side, no one directly in front of him and only two CB'S.
Marshall did any excellent job in front of Pidge/Garner.
Hollingsworth covered more ground than anyone again, showed good bursts going forward and passed the ball simply but well.
Dorran showed fantastic ball control but faded second half.
Meadows did well put didn't get forward enough for the "attacking midfielder" or pose any threat on the opposition goal, although he battled well.
Southwell was pushed and pulled all over the place and got no protection from the very poor officials. Did waste our best chance first half when he could of squared it to McGhee who would have been odds on to score.
Hope McGhee will be back soon as he is an important player.
Felix was exciting for me and I believe he will provide us with an end product and surely will be pushing for a place in the starting 11 hopefully on Monday.
Fallah shows plenty of running but not sure if he will get goals.

All in all a good performace just not our day.

Ferriby didn't look anything special. Doubt they will "wow" many with their performances. However they will be in the mix again with their experience, Jarman has a decent record for getting goals but did nothing again today like last April.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:47:31 PM by Carl Newell »

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
Re: Today's game
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
Not much info coming out about the match. Is everyone on holiday? Or maybe at, the Bank holiday Beer Festival @ The Black Sluice Cafe?  :o
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
Fair summary Carl.
They were just a load of big blokes......shame we missed our own goal  :(
Can see them frustrating a few sides.

Steviemas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »
Awful game, we created 3 good chances to score, ferriby created bugger all, Gledhills only action picking the ball out of the net following the own goal, still think we're lacking a bit in midfield, got muscled out far too often today, onwards to Tamworth, should be a better game.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
We played far too direct against a big ferriby side. They were quick to close us down and didn't allow us to settle. very harsh on vince to be dropped and I thought gledhill looked shaky today and is very slow at distributing the ball out. A disappointing result today but still a great start to the season..

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »
First of all with officials like that we were never going to see a decent game, never seen so much inconsistency and stopping the game for the least little thing. Just like last season at their place we were bullied out of it and as I said no protection from the ref. Not too disappointed with the performance but hope Felix gets a start on Monday along with Dowie if fit.
As somebody said on another forum Ferriby supporters are the only away fans who get allocated a steward each.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »
Not very impressed with Gledhill's distribution. Please bring back Vince .

DL

Steviemas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 08:36:26 PM »
Gledhill did ok, gives me a lot more confidence with crosses coming into the box than Vince, agree his kicking leaves a lot to be desired, was pretty wayward today, that's were Vince as the edge, not a lot to choose between them though, always good to have competition for places.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:52:27 PM »
Not sure the Ferriby website reporter was at the game...

http://www.northferribyunited.com/boston-united-0-nfu-1-%28vcn%29-1107
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »
Agree with most of what has been said above, but I was disappointed with several things today.

1- team selection-managers fault. Too negative from the start. We were much better later in the second half when we played a bit wider and had more speed down the flanks. I know the plan was not to lose to a potentially close rival, but I thought DG got this wrong big time today.

2- We will always get out muscled against a side like Ferriby. I am not to critical of the lads in midfield today- they had skill and fitness, but sometimes we need more steel and physicality which was lacking today. We also need more upfront, but that was down to the way the team was set up today. I know it is disappoinying to lose, however I have never seen a more objectional and thuggish side as Ferriby  who just know they would get away with any challenge following probably one of the most ineffective refereeing performances it has been my misfortune to witness at York Street.

3- I think Gledhill is probably a better bet than Vince overall, but often he was frustratingly slow to get the attack moving--it felt like we were 1-0 up rather than behind.

4 Was Marshall injured when substituted, if not another mistake by DG?

It is difficult to assess our chances this season, but I dont think we will be any where near the play offs without more physical presence in midfield and better attacking options than I have seen from the first two home games
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:03:07 PM by dt woodhall »

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »
I thought we were missing Dickinson up front today, any ideas why he was not in the squad/

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
Didn't do enough for me. Apart from the end we rarely threatened and it was a pity we got sucked into hoofing it...played right into their hands. But they will be up there and hopefully we won't be far away. Stop booing the team and get yourselves to tamworth  and get behind the team.

spannerman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »
Best part for me was the last 10 mins ,we pushed forward and should of scored in the last few mins of the game .Luck had a big part to play they had good luck when they was close to a own goal just before we had bad luck it would of been a cracking goal if it was at the right end . Ref was a moron reluctant to book there players willing to book ours , how was the elbow in the face not a sending off , I thought the players got a good send of considering we just lost .If we were offered 9 points in 4 games just over 2 weeks ago i'm sure most of us would of been happy  shame we lost our home run so soon in the season lets hope we can win the next few  8) 8)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
Not sure the Ferriby website reporter was at the game...

http://www.northferribyunited.com/boston-united-0-nfu-1-%28vcn%29-1107

Take those reports with a pinch of salt.  He comes from the Housham school of football.  The guys a nut job.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »
As for the game, while it was 0-0 and they had to come out of Camp 18yd we stood a chance but as soon as we scored they were never coming out.  Early on we looked like if we turned them around a bit we could do something.  It was crying out for pace to run at them, which at the end we did.

It's not even like we could let them have the ball and retreat to try and get them out, they simply wouldn't do it.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.