Author Topic: Today.  (Read 7254 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Today.
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
Has todays result been understated by some fans ?

Against a side full of experienced pros who are favorites for promotion we fielded a squad comprised thus

Average age  21,
 Oldest player 24 .
 Teenagers   5
 Players with no NC experience  5
  + two of the players signed on only hours before match .

Does anyone think that added up to a gutsy perfomance ?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

Against a side full of experienced pros who are favorites for promotion we fielded a squad comprised thus

Average age  21,
 Oldest player 24 .
 Teenagers   5

They signed yesterday they wouldnt of got clearence to play else.. How old is Gardner??

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »

Average age  21,
 Oldest player 24 .
 Teenagers   5

They signed yesterday they wouldnt of got clearence to play else.. How old is Gardner??

[/quote

Yes they did sign yesterday ,  only 24 hours before match ( not much time to intergrate new players into a part-time team ). 
 If you mean Garner according to OS he is 24 .

Thats answered your question , you overlooked answering mine !

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

Average age  21,
 Oldest player 24 .
 Teenagers   5

[/quote

Yes they did sign yesterday ,  only 24 hours before match ( not much time to intergrate new players into a part-time team ). 
 If you mean Garner according to OS he is 24 .

Thats answered your question , you overlooked answering mine !

Yes i did im but a little on edge by the 11 in defence in the last 10 min but hey ho we got the points. And the fact to be fair Vince did not have much to do apart from a few good saves as to be testerment to us after playing against a team spending stupied amounts of cash

kodger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »
Very gutsy performance...and that pass..for our 2nd goal..that was a thing of beauty!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
Must have been lucky!!!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
Must have been lucky!!!

You make your own luck .
As Bostonshire pointed out we had 10 defenders for the last 15mins ,  DG changed tactics 3 times in the game and the result was 3 points ,  Dens magic  8)

Just been on Grimsby forum and fans are expressing the usual complaint i.e . Pauls inability to adapt a alternative  system to "hoofball".     Credit to DG for his ability to apply alternative tactics .

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »

Average age  21,
 Oldest player 24 .
 Teenagers   5

Well said GHM. Must admit I didn't realise that our average age was so low. Really pleased with that performance. It was like The Alamo at the end, but hell, we got the points. It is a long way back to Barrow when you got nowt from the game  ;D

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »
It's hard to believe none of Garner, Piergianni, Steer or Marshall are over 24!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 09:30:49 PM »
It was a very gutsy performance. I think the team were working hard for each other, and although they did not show too many threats Barrow looked a good team. Perhaps we played them at the right time. Dont lets get carried away though there were plenty of issues to sort out for the future, but lets just be happy with three points. It will be interesting to see how Tuesdays games unfold Brackley got well beat by newcomers into the league, I hope their bubble is bursting, though our record against them is not good recently, and Gainsboro at Barrow will also be very interesting. The one good thing is that hopefully we can only get better and who knows what a confident start can bring. Well done to all.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »
I'm looking forward to going top Tuesday night  ;D
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:01 AM »
It was a very gutsy performance. I think the team were working hard for each other, and although they did not show too many threats Barrow looked a good team. Perhaps we played them at the right time. Dont lets get carried away though there were plenty of issues to sort out for the future, but lets just be happy with three points. It will be interesting to see how Tuesdays games unfold Brackley got well beat by newcomers into the league, I hope their bubble is bursting, though our record against them is not good recently, and Gainsboro at Barrow will also be very interesting. The one good thing is that hopefully we can only get better and who knows what a confident start can bring. Well done to all.

Totally +1
Forge that we were second best for large periods of the game and on balance of play probably didn't deserve the three points, we did and that's all that matters, more so on the opening day, there will be other days when the reverse is true.
As you say there are many things to improve on but on yesterdays showing  finding some grit will not be one of them. The indefatigable McGhee was my MOM and Dickinson,unfortunately not the quickest wasn't far behind him in the effort department and following a sublime assist from Southwell toom his goal really well. Couldn't understand why DG changed tactics at the back after 10 mins as pushing a CH into centre mid didn't work at all. But three points against a very good Barrow side favs for the league is a brilliant start and nice to see a good crowd.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 07:47:02 AM »
DG's tactics won the game, we got in there faces and hey 3 points, if that's what it takes to win games so be it.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
DG's tactics won the game, we got in there faces and hey 3 points, if that's what it takes to win games so be it.
Are you feeling alright Miele, only you're making some sense.  :dan

Yet another opening day game that Boston have won.  :)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »

Average age  21,
 Oldest player 24 .
 Teenagers   5

Taking above details into account several of the above players will improve when adapted to this league and have had more games ..  that along with the fact we had 3/4 players unavailable bodes well .
Greene can bide his time and wait for the right players to become available if he wishes to stengthen the numbers .

As for the Alamo at the end ,   last season we could not withstand these batterings without conceding goals .  Has Den cracked what was our downfall last season ?