Author Topic: Why Garner can excel up front  (Read 3147 times)

bostontarget.co.uk

• View Profile
Why Garner can excel up front
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:32:16 AM »
Dennis Greene insists Scott Garner could be the target man Boston United have been crying out for, claiming the defender-turned-striker is in the best shape of his career.

Read more: http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/s-like-kid-Hamleys-Scott-Garner-Boston-United-s/story-21656654-detail/story.html?wwww#ixzz37o5ClWgm

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why Garner can excel up front
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:16 AM »
Forget the should he shouldn't he debate is it just me or do others feel this issue and the recent en mass attemlt to prove Scott is is suddenly going to morph into john Charles is turning into one of Mandleson size "spin" to possibly disguise the fact that me boss hasn't managed to sign a forward? As for scoring eight goals which was a great return for a CH I don't remember many coming  outside set pieces. Its looking more and more inevitable that Scotty will begin as our CF which also suggests the style in which we may be playing

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:02:42 AM »
Should be our plan B not our plan A - we need a forward who will score 20 plus goals not players who potentially may score 8 to 12 or we are in for another season of lost opportunities.

bostonian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:02:30 AM »
Plan a is most likely southwell and newsh.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:13:19 AM »
I hope not. We need some pace and power up there to replace ricky, A striker that can make things happen. That has to be the priority for me but it will be difficult as them sort of players cost alot of money.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
I thought we had signed a striker - Southwell ?

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
Surely the main point here is that DG is giving himself options. We don`t want to end up like last year when Newsh was injured and SWG was suffering a loss in confidence. Have faith in your manager, Pilgrims. That is what he is paid for.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
I was concerned last week that the press stories were all pointing to Garner being the plan A up front and this is looking more and more the case.

We may have signed Southwell but we lost 2/3 strikers this close season and so are short up there. At this stage it is clear that we have no other options there as we have trialists elsewhere but Garner there. If this is plan A, which is likely to be confirmed if we offer any sort of terms to the trialist centre half (Watson?) then we will do no better than half way.

If, as also mooted, we see some talent that we get on loan from the u21 teams we play over the next couple of weeks then I will be a lot more confident. There is still time before the Barrow game but stories like this do get me a little concerned.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
Are options and a plan B the same thing?  Looking forward to seeing more of southwell before judgement but unlike Felix, pace is not his weapon so its about his movement and finishing. If newsh isn't fit i worry that playing with Garner is going to be quite easy for defences to deal with. Having a plan B to resort to when chasing is one thing options to me is when one is spoilt for choice which at the moment we most certainly aren't. We will get away with it today against another academy side and might look good doing so, won't be so easy when the season starts.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
I think Garner up front is Plan B, with Newsh playing with Southwell as first choice. But, because of his lack of fitness, DG has to find a pairing that can start against Barrow. It could be that McGhee plays upfront, with Felix impressing on the wing so far.

I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/