Author Topic: Trust formed to safeguard BUFC & Quadrant  (Read 7589 times)

Steelihat

• View Profile
Re: Trust formed to safeguard BUFC & Quadrant
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:08:59 PM »
Perhaps the reporting is a little vague, but the proposals in David Newton's statement doesn't safeguard BUFC in the long term (or the short term for that matter)

The report suggests that the ground will be owned as a community asset, let to BUFC. (No mention of cost or maintenance) so even if (when?) the club is "ruined" by unscrupulous owners, then a new club can be formed and it will have a ground to play on.

It further states that he will be wanting to hand over ownership to the supporters in the near future.

Struggle to see how any of the proposals will guarantee BUFC will continue in its current form.

From Trinity's experience, (new ground proposals, supporters ownership, debt free etc) only through the continuing hard work by a few dedicated people, are we in a position to compete at this level, on a ground owned by the supporters club

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
Struggle to see how any of the proposals will guarantee BUFC will continue in its current form.
Because BUFC's current main expenditure is reportedly rent + maintenance. In a purpose-built stadium, owned by the community, this figure will be dramatically less.

Do Trinity pay for ground maintenance, or do the Blues Club cover this? Does the club pay anywhere near £72,000pa?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:27 PM »
I cannot for the life of me imagine BUSA being able to run BUFC in any way, shape or form.

As willing as some of the volunteers are they are not businessmen and not conversant with how to run a football club.

I'd like to see a proposal of how they would intend to run the club, should they ever be given the opportunity to do so.

Show me a successful 'fan run' club outside of AFC Wimbledon the size of BUFC..........its a non starter, the club must look beyond a well intention ed supporters club for stewardship.   

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:20 AM »
Wait........wait for it.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
No clubs future can be 100% safeguarded , but this is about as near as  you will get .  Not what I would want but if things went pear shape as it did with the previous regime it leaves a ground for what is now the well trodden A.F.C. route ,  i,e not the end of football in the town .

N/F concerns are valid but that is a few years away I guess ,  credit to BUSA but I would think they realise come the time the committee will have to be beefed up , ie a few members with cash and businees know how .   

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
Show me a successful 'fan run' club outside of AFC Wimbledon the size of BUFC..........its a non starter, the club must look beyond a well intention ed supporters club for stewardship.

Errrrm.... does winning the league last season count as "successful", Andy? If so, Telford are fan owned....  ::)

And what about FC United of Manchester?

There is absolutely no reason why the fan ownership model couldn't work at Boston, supporter apathy excepted.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »
No clubs future can be 100% safeguarded , but this is about as near as  you will get .  Not what I would want but if things went pear shape as it did with the previous regime it leaves a ground for what is now the well trodden A.F.C. route ,  i,e not the end of football in the town .

N/F concerns are valid but that is a few years away I guess ,  credit to BUSA but I would think they realise come the time the committee will have to be beefed up , ie a few members with cash and businees know how .

This isn't really about "the club" though - it's about the stadium itself. As we are all aware, stadiums are the biggest asset any club at our level has (unless it's rented from someone else, as is the case with us), and in many cases it's not the ground that's worth the money but the land it sits on.

Stadium ownership wrangles are probably the leading cause of club failures over the last couple of decades (not a scientific study, just a gut feeling). What placing the ground into the ownership of a CIC will do is hopefully prevent a businessman coming along and trying to take the ground into private ownership (along with assurances such a move is required to make a few new signings). Allowing such an asset to fall into private hands is invariably a terrible mistake.

Of course, yes, the club could easily fall into financial ruin by other means (reckless spending and so on), but at least with the stadium out of harm's way, potential asset-strippers and land-grabbers will be deterred. And a phoenix club will have a ground to play on.

There is no way Newton can truly safeguard Boston United - no-one can do that, unless a millionaire puts a huge cash reserve in some kind of Jack Walker-style trust fund, but he is doing as much as he can. At some point the club, and by extension us as fans, have to take responsibility for the club's well being.

That means ensuring future owners are held up to the highest levels of scrutiny, and not just taking what they say at face value, as well as an absolute insistence that, should full fan ownership cannot be achieved, then either BUSA or another Trust type body have significant representation on the Board. Any refusal to countenance that proposal by an owner should always set alarm bells ringing.

We've been fortunate with the Chestnuts in that it has never felt like we've needed such representation on the current board - I think we've all been happy to allow them to get on with sorting out the hugely complex logistics of restoring the club to working order. in that regard, we've been extraordinarily lucky, although the job isn't finished yet of course.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »

This isn't really about "the club" though - it's about the stadium itself. As we are all aware, stadiums are the biggest asset any club at our level has (unless it's rented from someone else, as is the case with us), and in many cases it's not the ground that's worth the money but the land it sits on.

Stadium ownership wrangles are probably the leading cause of club failures over the last couple of decades (not a scientific study, just a gut feeling). What placing the ground into the ownership of a CIC will do is hopefully prevent a businessman coming along and trying to take the ground into private ownership (along with assurances such a move is required to make a few new signings). Allowing such an asset to fall into private hands is invariably a terrible mistake.

Of course, yes, the club could easily fall into financial ruin by other means (reckless spending and so on), but at least with the stadium out of harm's way, potential asset-strippers and land-grabbers will be deterred. And a phoenix club will have a ground to play on.

There is no way Newton can truly safeguard Boston United - no-one can do that, unless a millionaire puts a huge cash reserve in some kind of Jack Walker-style trust fund, but he is doing as much as he can. At some point the club, and by extension us as fans, have to take responsibility for the club's well being.

That means ensuring future owners are held up to the highest levels of scrutiny, and not just taking what they say at face value, as well as an absolute insistence that, should full fan ownership cannot be achieved, then either BUSA or another Trust type body have significant representation on the Board. Any refusal to countenance that proposal by an owner should always set alarm bells ringing.

We've been fortunate with the Chestnuts in that it has never felt like we've needed such representation on the current board - I think we've all been happy to allow them to get on with sorting out the hugely complex logistics of restoring the club to working order. in that regard, we've been extraordinarily lucky, although the job isn't finished yet of course.
excellent post

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
I cannot for the life of me imagine BUSA being able to run BUFC in any way, shape or form.

As willing as some of the volunteers are they are not businessmen and not conversant with how to run a football club.

I'd like to see a proposal of how they would intend to run the club, should they ever be given the opportunity to do so.

Bayern Munich?

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
Regardless, the model would presumably be such that the board of any Trust type organisation wouldn't need to run the club on a day-to-day basis. They would delegate that to a professional Chief Exec type figure, who would then run the club in line with the broad aims set down by the board - which you would expect to be to keep BUFC heavily involved in community programmes (as it is nowadays) and to achieve/invest as much in the first team playing side as is financially sustainable.

Under such a setup, you would expect BUFC to be stable, and not to come into difficulty. But even if it did, as Pete says, the ground would still be secure thanks to the community interest company, who could then let it to a phoenix club. It's effectively a double-lock to ensure there can always be a senior football club in Boston.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:08:17 PM by Adam »

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 01:43:53 PM »
Let's add Barcelona and Real Madrid to the exceptions?

For once, Andy's "chip on shoulder" attitude to BUSA is partially correct in that it could not run the club in its current state.  It would be a bit of overkill to recruit a committee/board of several people who have good business acumen and connections to undertake BUSA's current role of running the buses, raising money for the club by way of the Golden Goal etc. and putting fans' viewpoints to the current owners.  I also doubt that BUSA is currently the right type of legal entity to take that task on.....but it is a good place to start the ball rolling.  It represents a large body of fans...some of whom may have the required business and legal acumen/experience to possibly get the ball rolling even quicker.

Some of us were around/involved when it was demonstrated that even the Trust model can go wrong when egos try to take over and distort the true purpose of having such a body.

The club is currently in a position we couldn't have dreamed of 6 or 7 years ago and heading in all the right directions off the pitch.  This has been a steady and structured process that is only to be admired (obligatory happy clapper/monkey say monkey do reference) and will carry on but not perhaps at the pace some fans demand.  If I see the return the Football League in my lifetime, I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not expecting it. We are a good solid Conference level type club and that must be our primary goal going hand in hand with a sustainable club we can pass onto our descendants to enjoy for years to come.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »

Must  be the way I put it over but but the massage I was trying to convey was the same as yours Pete B ,    Speculators will not be able to cash in on the holy land .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
Yeah, sorry - I was actually agreeing with you! Just agreeing that the CIC is there to safeguard the ground; it cannot safeguard the club, but as you say it's about as close as you're going to get.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
Not so much a chip on the shoulder Pat, after all, if it wasn't for myself and a couple of other supporters back in 1998 BUSA wouldn't probably exist.......and I'm pleased there's someone like Glen and Pauline at the helm who brings an air of respectability to the organization.........respectability which was non existent during the early to mid 00's when the whole organization was just a tool for the rotten regime to use and abuse.

Nice to see a couple of personal digs in there though, you just can't help yourself at times can you? You want to take a step back and look at the toadying and forelock tugging you lot did when it should have been you people organizing opposition to the regime that almost brought our club to its knees a decade ago.