Author Topic: Spalding game  (Read 11220 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Spalding game
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »
If anyone can offer Josh a lift he'd appreciate it very much, either reply on here on drop him a pm.

Cheers.

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spalding game
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »
I work in Spalding so I'm already here, but I can get him back to Boston if that's any help

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »
That would be a big help as he's able to get a train to Spalding but not get home, I'll tell him to get in touch, cheers!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
Lost 1 nil! Hope Den learnt a few things about the trialist tonight ;D

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
Doubt we will see many of the trialists again, of which there were 8 or 9. Watson looked solid at the back first half and may be offered a deal although we are already spoilt for choice in that area as Reynolds finally signed a one year deal after the game. Hodges did ok and will hopefully get another chance but was out shone by Felix who played in his position second half. CM substitute no 20 did ok was a big lad and passed the ball ok may get another chance the rest aren't up to it. Barlow did nothing tonight again which is worrying, maybe an option to play Steer in front of Reynolds who played LB tonight.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 07:05:28 AM »
I was horrified to hear from Josh that Charlie Sanders played the second half............. >:(

Thanks again for the lift for Josh Woody. :)

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:33 AM »
ANY comment's on spaldings 3 new players WAUMSLEY,McKUE and G.STAIFIELD.

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »
I think played may be overstating it a little.

No problem, anytime

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »
With regards to Sanders he has bulked up even more pre season and looks a really big strong lad although still plenty of question marks over his technical ability.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
At Spalding last night the back four in the first half looked solid, and Vince had a decent game in goal, although I would like to see a big experienced goalkeeper myself with Vince as back up.
The number 8 first half had a good game, running the midfield very well. A big lad with pace and a grafter. Pity the right winger from Saturday didn't play in the first half, he was the best player on the pitch in the second half. Very worried about our strikers up front, they didn't do anything to give us confidence in that area. Can't understand why DG is persisting with Sanders,isn't it obvious by now he  isn't up to first team level, as also a lot of the trialists. There was nobody in the Spalding team that I would choose for our team, including Jones, and all the ex Pilgrims. It just shows we have moved on now. All in all I think we will have a good squad this season.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
Yeah agreed Tony. Plenty of good options at the back just need a couple of attacking minded players although we still have Newsh to come back before the season starts and maybe one or two young lads impress for Sunderland and can be bought down here after the friendly in a couple of weeks.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »
Real positive was the defence played well, especially Watson is it, who will surely be signed, but with Garner there as well I do fear his signature may well see Stef moving on especially as the tall blond left back can also play CH, we cant have five on the books?
But slightly worrying and without being stretched tho so too did their defence!Excuse me not knowing all their names yet, but apart from the number 8 and the dark haired number 20 in the second half the newbies looked very average with few going into the notebook. Felix at least showed some nice touches and injected some much needed pace, and that's concern number one, lack of any pace through the middle and up front, but at least he had a few shots, albeit all wide. In fact i don't think we had a shot of any significance throughout, and therein, in what I call our first competitive friendly, lies concern number two. Not going to keep going on about SG playing up front except to say  >:( and far too early to judge Southwell yet, played well Saturday but was very quiet last night. We do urgently need a goal scorer tho. Am hoping the absence of Dowie and Steer was purely a travelling thing and poor Charlie, he may have put 6" of girth around his chest and somehow grown biceps to rival Popeye, but oh dear!

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
For some reason Sanders was given a 18 months contract last season hence he is still a member of the squad for a few months yet.

Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
First half.
Vince lacked nothing in composure but was vocally meek. The defence had a solid look to it with Watson impressing. Hodge was knocked off the ball too easily and offered little. Southwell kept the ball well but ironically (given the build up) his finishing wasn't all that.

Second half.
Noticeably weaker in all areas. Of the new signings, Smythe was lightweight and timid with Barlow looking average at best, whereas Felix looked exciting, full of running and willing to take players on.

shinnster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
Felix looks like the best of the trialists last night and Watson looks solid at the back south well looks like he could be a good catch. Den did say last night about possibly getting miller back on a few months loan and an Irish keeper is on his way at the weekend for a trial he played for cork in the Irish league.