Author Topic: Better get yourselves along to this meeting.  (Read 6749 times)

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Better get yourselves along to this meeting.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »
Good to see the WQAG chairman wade in with a reasoned and well researched quote.......

“It could be the end of the town - that’s no exaggeration.”

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Good to see the WQAG chairman wade in with a reasoned and well researched quote.......

Last time I checked Springfileds hadn't caused every shop in Spalding to close its doors, pure NIMBYism from the Wyberton Action Group yokels.  ::)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 12:24:53 PM »
Spalding town center has really suffered to be honest due to Springfields, the recession and unaffordable rent prices. Only new shops that are opening are eastern european off licences. Springfields has a high turnover of shops but is always busy.

Edit: I change in consumer shopping patterns has also had a big affect on all town centers, for example Burtons was seen as the main affordable go to menswear shop (in my opinion) and has closed shops in Boston and Spalding recently with no competitor really taking the opportunity to fill a gap in the market.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:30:44 PM by Carl Newell »

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »
Online business is more likely to impact on the High street stores, the shopping experience in Boston with its lack of choice, high parking costs and poor road infrastructure is what will do for the town centre.

So perhaps those in power in the council should see this as an opportunity to in still life into the town, normally you hear people state I am going to Lincoln/Peterborough anywhere but Boston for shopping, and locals are fed up with the lack of choice, so bring it on.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
Your point  of online being the main reason is probably a very valid one Old yellow as with Spalding the butchers and hairdressers are probably the only type of shops on the high street that haven't closed in recent years and are areas that obviously can't suffer because of online shopping.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »

Ended up having a 'chat' with the Standard twitter account on this, I fail to see the point of giving such reactionary nonsense a voice.  By all means debate with reason, point out genuine problems and genuine worthy objections.  But to tweet a link to a story (which actually was balanced!) with such a quote is giving oxygen to idiots.  End of the town, FFS.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »

If Mr Rush does his homework properly, I think he'll find that the population of Boston has increased by about 15% over a 10-year-period. Those aren't my figures but are official ones from the census. If a town is growing to that extent, then surely there's (a) very little chance of it dying, and (b) more of a business case for developments such as The Quadrant, which offer greater choice to the expanding population.

I'm afraid Mr Rush is just talking nonsense. He's not Irish by any chance, is he?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »

If Mr Rush does his homework properly, I think he'll find that the population of Boston has increased by about 15% over a 10-year-period. Those aren't my figures but are official ones from the census. If a town is growing to that extent, then surely there's (a) very little chance of it dying, and (b) more of a business case for developments such as The Quadrant, which offer greater choice to the expanding population.

I'm afraid Mr Rush is just talking nonsense. He's not Irish by any chance, is he?

Is this the same Mr Rush who was in the disastrous Boston B/PASS Party ?  A party full of talk and no delivery .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »

Is this the same Mr Rush who was in the disastrous Boston B/PASS Party ?  A party full of talk and no delivery .

Yes and he is Irish.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
HD running the show, oh dear, oh dear! Clueless at school and clueless in life by the looks of things! This meeting seems to be very clearly biased towards all who do not want the Quadrant. Surely these people have to realise that at least 80% of towns UK wide have had these out of Town centres built and they all seemed to have coped ok. Did Bell/Rush or any of the against group kick off when Downtown, Tesco etc all moved in out of town? No, of course they didn't. They don't want a football club or sporting activities built near them because they're so small minded and happy for there kids/grand kids to sit around playing computer games all day than actually getting out and doing exercise on the new facilities.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
This is just the normal nonsensical blather you would expect for a development like this.
The Council have already reduced 'foot fall' by imposing their ridiculous parking fees  :dan
Have to go through the motions I suppose

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
HD running the show, oh dear, oh dear! Clueless at school and clueless in life by the looks of things! This meeting seems to be very clearly biased towards all who do not want the Quadrant. Surely these people have to realise that at least 80% of towns UK wide have had these out of Town centres built and they all seemed to have coped ok. Did Bell/Rush or any of the against group kick off when Downtown, Tesco etc all moved in out of town? No, of course they didn't. They don't want a football club or sporting activities built near them because they're so small minded and happy for there kids/grand kids to sit around playing computer games all day than actually getting out and doing exercise on the new facilities.

Correct to the point of the kids leaving school ,  then if this project fails to get approval the same people will be campaigning for "jobs for the kids "

black n yella

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »

That's right, because of his ethnicity he must be talking nonsense !  ::)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »

Yes and he is Irish.

I think that could be classed as racist.