Author Topic: england talk banned?  (Read 8775 times)

amberarmy

• View Profile
england talk banned?
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:39:21 PM »
has talk of englands performances in the world cup been banned on this forum?

or is it just that there is so much negative vibes about england before and after their confirmed exit from this world cup that people just can't be bothered posting anything

no surprise the FA's come out declaring support for roy hodgeson

FWIW i, like many others, knew we weren't going to win the world cup but surely these highly paid individuals who hold regular places in top teams in one of the best leagues in europe and the world should have at least got through the group stage

any thoughts on who is ultimately at fault for our worst world cup finals performance for over fifty years?

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: england talk banned?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Pirlo and Suarez.

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »
Pirlo and Suarez.

one man doesn't make a team

yes - both are good players but not unknown to hodgeson - why did he not prepare for the threat these players posed cos that would be half the battle won

and by the way - who on earth at ITV thought it would be a good idea to ask glenn hoddle to be a pundit - hardly the greatest england manager of recent times

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:50:47 PM »
Performances were good but in the end both Italy and Uraguay were a whisker better than we are. Terry and Cole could have made a huge difference as defense was our problem and those mentioned are still among the best in the world unlike Baines and Jagielka who are simply good hard working prem standard players but get found out against the very best. Roy deserves to do keep his job as overall he's done ok as he picked the right players and got them playing without the fear that has haunted previous world cups.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:23:35 AM »
For all the talk about Rooney, it's proved he is just a mediocre striker and not world class, but, sadly, he's the best we've got :-[

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »
I disagree hims being 'mediocre' - he's a very good striker, not one of the world's best, but when played in the correct position, he plays well and scores goals.

Can we play Sturridge, Rooney and Sterling together in the same team? They all like to roam around.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »
I disagree hims being 'mediocre' - he's a very good striker, not one of the world's best, but when played in the correct position, he plays well and scores goals.

Can we play Sturridge, Rooney and Sterling together in the same team? They all like to roam around.

By "mediocre" I meant in terms of the world cup compared with the likes of Van Persie, Benzema. Kroos etc.    Our main problem lies in the number of English players in the Premier League in relation to the foreign players, a stat in the Sun today shows that in 2013-2014 season 174 English players as opposed to 387 Foreign, that just about says it all!!!!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »

By "mediocre" I meant in terms of the world cup compared with the likes of Van Persie, Benzema. Kroos etc.    Our main problem lies in the number of English players in the Premier League in relation to the foreign players, a stat in the Sun today shows that in 2013-2014 season 174 English players as opposed to 387 Foreign, that just about says it all!!!!
Fully agree ernie ,  I think we will struggle to progess far if we reach the Euro finals .   We ,ve spent millions on a national coaching centre at Burton and put run of the mill english coaches to run it .  To progress we have to eat humble pie and bring in coaches that are not 30years behind the times , yes foreigners .

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »
This one didn't generate the same level of excitement/expectation for me as it didn't look like we would get out of the group stage. I've been more interested in whether Ricky Miller would sign than whether Rooney would live up to the expectations wearing an England shirt.
I did get soaked in beer when he scored though, which made it quite a memorable evening...not in the Eagle I hasten to add, its far too civilised in there, it was the Percy Lambert in Weybridge  :dan

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 11:49:03 AM »
174 is still plenty from which to draw a 23-man squad from.  If the top 174 English players don't contain many world class players, it seems doubtful to me that numbers 175 to 561 would...

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 12:24:08 PM »
Whilst it was the right idea to take all the young midfielders/forwards I do think think that we should have taken both Terry (could have been convinced) and Cole. I also believe that we wouldn't have conceded the second goals in either game.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »
174 is still plenty from which to draw a 23-man squad from.  If the top 174 English players don't contain many world class players, it seems doubtful to me that numbers 175 to 561 would...

Whilst I agree with your point to an extent, I feel the main group of English players we lack is the key group. The group of players we are lacking most are the young players who in most part just do not get a chance. The reason they don't get a chance is that most managers do not dare risk them as they are desperate to maintain they're premier league status/champions league place etc. Unfortunately, we're all very familiar with this problem, any time any manager has tried to play any youth players at Boston, there has been an outcry from the fans that they are not good enough. Of course, without games and experience, they will never be good enough. This, in my opinion, is the main problem with English football in general at every level.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
We are to blame.

We love our Premiership football and we are prepared to pay more than any other country for our admission prices, season tickets, Sky subscriptions etc. The result is that we attract quality footballers from all over the world into our leagues. The English players ultimately suffer as they fall down the pecking order. The English players rarely move abroad to play so just stick it out here - often playing second fiddle to their foreign counter-parts in their own back yard. The English players play in some great Premiership teams but don't appear to travel well or have the confidence to express themselves when playing for their country.

Forget John Terry, Ashley Cole etc - the problems run much deeper than that.

DL

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »

I think the biggest problem is that not enough of the 174 are playing for the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. If they're playing for sides in the middle and lower reaches of the Premiership, then they've not necessarily got that winning habit that I'd like to see in an England squad. Nor are they picking up European experience in club competitions. Contrast that with the likes of Spain, who can pick a squad mainly consisting of Real Madrid and Barcelona players - players with more experience than our own English squad and who have a winning habit.

OK, so on the evidence of this World Cup Spain might not be the best example. But treat this World Cup as a blip and look instead at what they've done in the previous World Cups and Euro Championships.