Author Topic: new keeper?  (Read 29114 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: new keeper?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »
It,s just another typical patter pre-season with a new twist .   This time last year we had Miller already signed up which was refreshing as it gave us scope to come on patter and declare him not good enough .
This time last year  patter fans could not understand why we could not compete with Brackley ,  who have they signed this season ?
Lets sit back and enjoy "rich"  N Con teams competing to steal money bags NFU striker .
The only thing that is certain any new signing when assessed on patter may be restricted by any of the following ,  too light , too fat , slow , donkey , too young , too old , plus other various shortcomings .

Last seasons run-in which produced play-off form contained only 4/5 players that were signed pre-season , and lets not forget we saw more goals and better football than we have for years .
KEEP CALM Den ,  don,t rush the signings !!!!!

Get those knees out GHM and show Newsh what a pair should look like.  Looks like you and me up front then. ;) ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »
Am not talking about any new players but can't understand why DG wouldn't get the likes of steer and Mcghee, players he now knows everything about on contract. Newsh not being offered one is the worry for me as it can only be because of his knee and if he isn't fit and Miller going that's fifty goals we have to find. Anyone got updates on " that knee"?

Managed to have half an hour at training on Thursday and to be honest didn't know half of them obviously trialists. Regarding Newshams knee, he did a few laps around the Cranwell sports field followed by work with the physio so although not there yet is at least he's able to run. Although DG seems to be implementing plan B ie attempting to sign some on loan from our pre season opponents I do wonder if we will have a team to face them.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
It,s just another typical patter pre-season with a new twist .   This time last year we had Miller already signed up which was refreshing as it gave us scope to come on patter and declare him not good enough .
This time last year  patter fans could not understand why we could not compete with Brackley ,  who have they signed this season ?
Lets sit back and enjoy "rich"  N Con teams competing to steal money bags NFU striker .
The only thing that is certain any new signing when assessed on patter may be restricted by any of the following ,  too light , too fat , slow , donkey , too young , too old , plus other various shortcomings .

Last seasons run-in which produced play-off form contained only 4/5 players that were signed pre-season , and lets not forget we saw more goals and better football than we have for years .
KEEP CALM Den ,  don,t rush the signings !!!!!

Get those knees out GHM and show Newsh what a pair should look like.  Looks like you and me up front then. ;) ;)

Sorry Dip already been to specsavers and will continue with my mate to provide goal line technology at Jakemans .   If you have any shaving foam past its sell-by date bring it along for the ref  instead of throwing it in the Welland  :P

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
Am not talking about any new players but can't understand why DG wouldn't get the likes of steer and Mcghee, players he now knows everything about on contract. Newsh not being offered one is the worry for me as it can only be because of his knee and if he isn't fit and Miller going that's fifty goals we have to find. Anyone got updates on " that knee"?

Managed to have half an hour at training on Thursday and to be honest didn't know half of them obviously trialists. Regarding Newshams knee, he did a few laps around the Cranwell sports field followed by work with the physio so although not there yet is at least he's able to run. Although DG seems to be implementing plan B ie attempting to sign some on loan from our pre season opponents I do wonder if we will have a team to face them.

Isn't there normally someone taking photographs at the first training session? I know in seasons past they've ended up on the website, and we've all had a go at working out who they were.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
Yes David Shipman took a few snaps of the first session and you can see them on his Facebook page..the players from last season who were listed as retained were pictured.  The only worry for me is we only have around 11 players committed and that includes newsh. Not sure on the futures of dowie or vince. Certainly need another 5 or 6 new signings..

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »

Who is in the background?

New physio?

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »
Who is the fella in yellow, doesn't seem to be that mobile! :D

Am sorry GHM, and hopefully not sounding too negative, we have lost 6,7 players. For a variety of reasons none of the four DG was publicly suggesting were going to sign have done so, the keeper has left because he didn't receive a contract and the boss is already talking about taking loan players as a chosen rather than needed policy none of whom, as yet he has even seen and more, without knowing if their club would even release them anyway. Forget that so many teams appear to have done the majority of their recruitment, this time last year regardless of their ultimate worth to the team (indeed most early arrivals left) we had many new additions, and just off the top of my head, Pidge, Garner, Galinski, Sensara, Bore, Miller to name but some who supplemented at least 6,7 already on contract. Up to now, with training under way we have but one new player joined and just two (though hugely important) on contracts, and our scoring legend still very worryingly jogging around on a dodgy knee.

As you say GHM, by all means take all the time you need DG,  just bloody hurry up about things!

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »

Dayle Southwell?

Who is the one playing head tennis with Marshall though, fourth photo down?

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »
Dayle southwell

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks a bit like Ollie Price, youth team defender who was unused sub a couple of times in away matches last year.

Was the training session solely for first team players and triallists?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »

Am sorry GHM, and hopefully not sounding too negative, we have lost 6,7 players. For a variety of reasons none of the four DG was publicly suggesting were going to sign have done so, the keeper has left because he didn't receive a contract and the boss is already talking about taking loan players as a chosen rather than needed policy none of whom, as yet he has even seen and more, without knowing if their club would even release them anyway. Forget that so many teams appear to have done the majority of their recruitment, this time last year regardless of their ultimate worth to the team (indeed most early arrivals left) we had many new additions, and just off the top of my head, Pidge, Garner, Galinski, Sensara, Bore, Miller to name but some who supplemented at least 6,7 already on contract. Up to now, with training under way we have but one new player joined and just two (though hugely important) on contracts, and our scoring legend still very worryingly jogging around on a dodgy knee.

As you say GHM, by all means take all the time you need DG,  just bloody hurry up about things!

Of the 6/7 players who left 4 were surplus to requirements .    Come tuesday morning many pro,s will realise they have to consider their options due to the fact that they will not know where or when their next wage packet is  coming from .   Get the freezer filled with Danish  GB and sit back , relax, and look forward to another enjoyable season .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »
Best of luck to Martin King at Stalybridge .
I am sure one of my pals on here will find it ironic that 2 NFU players on twitter are accussing team- mate A Wilson of leaving the club for the "wrong reasons "  .  A reputed £900 week offer from Barrow !!!

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »

Of the 6/7 players who left 4 were surplus to requirements .    Come tuesday morning many pro,s will realise they have to consider their options due to the fact that they will not know where or when their next wage packet is  coming from .   Get the freezer filled with Danish  GB and sit back , relax, and look forward to another enjoyable season .

Well stocked up mate, Job lot from the wholesalers every summer. Back to your point, yes, many early arrivals as I previously agreed ended up as surplus as I am sure will be the case this year, but in order to identify those surplus from those who aren't you have to have a nucleus from which to make that call from, at the moment we don't. I am not a negative person, maybe just a little worrier, but my concern is that loanees apart I don't think we signed a player last year that didn't have, however tenuous, some link with either Histon or St Neots and therein lies the route of the problem in my head that at the moment simply wont go away. At this level contacts mean everything and like many I assumed, well hoped anyway that come the first training session there would, as last year at least be half a dozen new players wanting to make an impression!

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
Plenty of options up front

Miller (looking much more likely now)
Newsham
Southwell
McGhee (played the last few games up front and did ok)
Sanders
Garner (does ok when asked to play up front and knows where the back of the net is)

Midfield is where we need to strengthen so far the team looks a bit like this for me:

King

Mills
Garner
Pidge
Steer

McGhee
???
???
???

Newsham
Miller (fingers crossed)

Subs
Southwell
Marshall
Galinski
GK???
???

So for me aslong as all the above sign up as expected then we just need to sign about 4 midfielders!

Reviewing my post a few weeks ago personally I am happy with how things are progressing. Didn't include Vince or Dowie at the time as I thought both would be elsewhere by now.

Four weeks till the start of the season and probably only need a couple more additions.

Vince (Head tells me this is one position we really need an experienced player, heart tells me Vince is the man for the job so I will class this one as covered)

Mills
Garner
Pidge
Steer

McGhee
Dowie
Barlow
???

Newsh
???

Subs:

Marshall
Galinski
Southwell
Felix
Hewitt

The diamond shape we played towards the end of last season worked well and I expect it to be the shape used this season. Dowie in front of the back four, McGee and Barlow wide and still need a Simon Weatherstone type to play behind the front two. If we don't find one yet maybe Felix could play wide right and McGee behind the forwards. Still need a Miller type up front in my opinion.

So two or three still to bring in for the gaffer in the next few weeks hopefully. If we are still after an experienced GK they don't come any more experienced than Bazza (probably going to get shot down for this one) he still lives in Boston, has obviously still got what it takes as he won promotion to the Conf Prem last season and is currently a free agent. His experience would benefit Vince and Hewitt and would probably be interested in taking up an player/coach role at the club and used as back - up keeper for the next couple of years alternatively he may want another year someone as the no1. As for another forward Margettes on loan from Hull could be a good shout? Proved himself with Trinity last year. Also Agnew was a class act last year, hopefully there is a chance we could see him back again although he may fell he has done his time on loan and be pushing for the first team at Sunderland.

May be wrong in saying we will get 2/3 in as we also have Sanders, Smythe and also soon Reynolds to add to those I have mentioned.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
Plenty of options up front

Miller (looking much more likely now)
Newsham
Southwell
McGhee (played the last few games up front and did ok)
Sanders
Garner (does ok when asked to play up front and knows where the back of the net is)

Midfield is where we need to strengthen so far the team looks a bit like this for me:

King

Mills
Garner
Pidge
Steer

McGhee
???
???
???

Newsham
Miller (fingers crossed)

Subs
Southwell
Marshall
Galinski
GK???
???

So for me aslong as all the above sign up as expected then we just need to sign about 4 midfielders!

Reviewing my post a few weeks ago personally I am happy with how things are progressing. Didn't include Vince or Dowie at the time as I thought both would be elsewhere by now.

Four weeks till the start of the season and probably only need a couple more additions.

Vince (Head tells me this is one position we really need an experienced player, heart tells me Vince is the man for the job so I will class this one as covered)

Mills
Garner
Pidge
Steer

McGhee
Dowie
Barlow
???

Newsh
???

Subs:

Marshall
Galinski
Southwell
Felix
Hewitt

The diamond shape we played towards the end of last season worked well and I expect it to be the shape used this season. Dowie in front of the back four, McGee and Barlow wide and still need a Simon Weatherstone type to play behind the front two. If we don't find one yet maybe Felix could play wide right and McGee behind the forwards. Still need a Miller type up front in my opinion.

So two or three still to bring in for the gaffer in the next few weeks hopefully. If we are still after an experienced GK they don't come any more experienced than Bazza (probably going to get shot down for this one) he still lives in Boston, has obviously still got what it takes as he won promotion to the Conf Prem last season and is currently a free agent. His experience would benefit Vince and Hewitt and would probably be interested in taking up an player/coach role at the club and used as back - up keeper for the next couple of years alternatively he may want another year someone as the no1. As for another forward Margettes on loan from Hull could be a good shout? Proved himself with Trinity last year. Also Agnew was a class act last year, hopefully there is a chance we could see him back again although he may fell he has done his time on loan and be pushing for the first team at Sunderland.

May be wrong in saying we will get 2/3 in as we also have Sanders, Smythe and also soon Reynolds to add to those I have mentioned.

I assume you did not see todays game Carl .  Judging what DG said at the forum and what was seen today the team will look much like this ...
   Vince

Mills
  Pidge
  Reynolds
  Steer

Mcghee
  Dowie
  Marshall
  Barlow (assumming he ups his game before Aug 9 )
                Felix on todays game will be genuine competition for a mid-field place .

Southwell
  Garner.