Author Topic: Vs Chorley  (Read 19112 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vs Chorley
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »
A few more pics while I'm waiting at Doncaster for the train to Leeds.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
Almost home. A few more pics from the top deck of the No 95 bus!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »
Last set of pics probably...

I'm a bit disappointed Ken, you haven't got a photo of Clarkey sat on the terrace near the tuck shop eating his chips and gravy, and looking thoroughly pissed off! ;D

Best I could do I'm afraid...

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »

We won the match yesterday and it will be the managers' prerogative to stick with a team that is currently winning. But for me there were some clear warning signs in yesterday's performance and things do need freshening up a little bit.

Chorley were from a lower league and it showed. How many times in the early stages did their players dribble the ball straight out of play whilst not under pressure? In truth, I don't think Chorley were much better than Spalding. A win is a win, but it should have been a whole lot more convincing.

We started the game well and were two goals up very early on. But after that, complacency seemed to set in. It was Lowestoft all over again, but with the safety of a two goal cushion. At times yesterday I thought Chorley looked like they wanted it more than we did.

Any teams that finds itself two goals up at home, especially against lower league opposition, and then gets pegged back, deserves a rollocking.

Luck played a part in yesterday's result. Did Davidson really mean to score the opening goal, or was it meant to be a flick to the far post? And the chance that Chorley missed when their striker blasted the ball into Tom Evans' face had "goal" written all over it. Good save or bad miss? I don't think Tom knew too much about it so I'm going with the latter.

Some of our forward players are equally guilty of missing good chances. The cross that Dan Cotton put into the box in the second half was an absolute beach. If David Beckham had put that ball into the box heaven knows when Steve Bruce would stop talking about it. Newsham simply had to score. But the header was tame and straight at the goalkeeper. Newsham may be our leading goalscorer, but his ratio of missed chances to goals is still rising and he doesn't often seem able to find the target from outside the six yard box. Maybe he needs glasses? Joking aside, I think there are other forward players in the squad who are a bit more clinical in front of goal (Clarke,Kennedy, etc) and are perhaps not getting enough of a look in at the moment.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

Another very good observation and interpretation of yesterdays fixture from Leicester
 Pilgrim that will enivatably fall on "Deaf Ears" within certain areas of the Club.

We would all hope to have a settled winning side but the bigger picture should not go
 unoticed and trust me there is complacency creeping into this squad within a circle
 of players that know who they are.This post simply highlights for me the negativity i
 think the Management bring to the Club in terms of realisation in man management
 skills and to some extent ignorance when it comes to dealing with issues they don't
 care to be bothered with. With reference to yesterdays fixture i go along with the
 majority of the people who i spoke with that we had quite a fortuetous afternoon.
 Chorley were an average Div 1 side who seemed to enjoy their day out at York St
 but made us look very ordinary at times throughout the 90mins. Our start was good
 with a 2 goal advantage, then we switched off and allowed them back into the game
 and our second half display was devoid of any real ideas and we just went through the
 motions allowing ourselves to be pegged back and our missed chances were yet again
 criminal.Talk of a new striker to be signed could be just propaganda ? but if not maybe
 we have seen the last of Clarky,Kennedy or even dare i say it "tapin Newsham" i don't
 think so do you !!! To conclude,if there ever was a time in football where a player was
 in need of a confidence battering...send them to York Street this season.
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
 Maybe we could look at the ratio of ' Proper '  goals  v  ' lucky '  goals .
  Now yesterday  I would say we had 2 luckys and 1 worked & proper .
   Chorley had at least one worked .. ( the player jinked thro our defence and meant to score.)
     Couldn't  see their 2nd  on the Video .
      I say we should n't let the ' lucky ' goals get ahead of the  ' proper  ' ones

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »
Football has always been a game of arrogance. Generally if you stroll around like you own the place and couple that with hard work, then results follow.  If they have the winning, confident mentality then don't knock it, it gets you a good % of the way to results.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »
Listening to Paul Hurst's interview it's good to hear the managers understand that the perfomance wasn't good enough.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
Football has always been a game of arrogance. Generally if you stroll around like you own the place and couple that with hard work, then results follow.  If they have the winning, confident mentality then don't knock it, it gets you a good % of the way to results.

I am not in any sought of position to knock a winning,mentality confident Manager,what
 i am addressing is the bigger picture and a season that spans an eight month period of
 working with a squad and an understanding of those players .I question their ability in
 what appears to be their lack of honesty and integrity with certain squad members who
 would have appeared to be singled out as scapegoats for recent underpar games prior   
 to this run of form which have not been necessarily good performances.

Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »

I am not in any sought of position to knock a winning,mentality confident Manager,what
 i am addressing is the bigger picture and a season that spans an eight month period of
 working with a squad and an understanding of those players .I question their ability in
 what appears to be their lack of honesty and integrity with certain squad members who
 would have appeared to be singled out as scapegoats for recent underpar games prior   
 to this run of form which have not been necessarily good performances.

Sparks,what evidence do you have regarding the managers "lack of honesty and integrity"??.On your second point,a few weeks ago,we were not winning games.The managers have "shuffled the pack" and found a winning formula.Isn't that their job?For those squad players not getting a game,it's up to them to force their way back into contention.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »
The problem often is that the fans can only here the voices of the players who are in the stands during the games.  The players who will inevitably have good things to say cos they are playing are doing just that, playing.

The whole Clarke thing seems to smack of Lee Thompson, lovely lad but it is a results business and some faces sometimes just don't fit no matter how nice the character is.  Those players have to make the choice of do they keep turning up waiting their chance and grab it or do they go elsewhere in the hope that someone else sees them differantly.

So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
The only regular in the team to be dropped as far as i can see in recent games is Cullingworth , he must be the scapegoat Sparks.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »
Surely that's a case of him missing a game through suspension, and not being able to get back in?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Seenbetter

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
Just to get back to the game. Was it Hurst or Scott on the radio afterwards said that after going 2.0 up our team didn't seem to know what to do, either go for more goals or sit back on the lead. We are in a very good position in that we have TWO managers who could have made that clear to the players if that was the case. Perhaps it was just a slip of the tongue but it does show that managers have to be very careful about what they say.
I do think that aproblem we have at our stadium is that teams want to come here and play well. They will up there game a bit, whereas it is very easy for the better home side to play down to the oppositions level and there's your banana skin.

BU on the up

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 02:47:18 PM »
Who was the official man of the match on Saturday?