Author Topic: Reserves disband and to be replaced with U-21 development squad  (Read 5304 times)

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
No surprise that BUFC Reserves are to disband and be replaced by a U-21 development squad who will be non-league in the literal meaning. It is a shame, but quite simply the Sills & Betteridge Lincolnshire League did not deserve our continuing membership and have only their committee to blame for reducing this once reasonable competition into a joke league of just 12 teams, refereed by weak match officials and a laughable disciplinary ethos which should be a concern to every team who are thinking about joining this League. However, I hope that Vinno and his crew will remain active in the Club and wish all those who have played for the Reserves last season all the best for whichever sides they are with next campaign.  :bunny
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:40:59 PM by Burgh Boy »
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reserves disband and to be replaced with U-21 development squad
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
 Suggested this about a year ago  . .

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
Good news.Its the way forward for the club.Burgh Boy how many reserves are Under 21?

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »
A lot of the lads will be Under 21 - but we will have to say goodbye to players like Lee Orrey, Mark Thompson, Micky G and Liam Ogden.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »
Isn't there a rule that you can still play so many "over age" players as part of the development squad? Conrad Logan has spent most of the season playing for Leicester's development squad, and he's definitely more than 21.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:04:30 PM »
I guess all the team could be over 21! Its only friendlies?

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:08:31 PM »
Isn't there a rule that you can still play so many "over age" players as part of the development squad? Conrad Logan has spent most of the season playing for Leicester's development squad, and he's definitely more than 21.
I am sure there is such a rule, but I would also imagine some of the over 21 players wanting to play in a League such as UCL, Boston & District or Peterborough & District at weekends.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:21:17 AM »
Personally I think this a good move and will hopefully be managed by the guys who worked so hard with the reserves. Only issues are that there is no league so no structure of regular matches and that if needed the reserves are, on occasion used to give first team players match time after a spell out injured although Greene didn't do this much last season (if at all.)

Playing against other local sides of similar age will surely help our lads progress and provide a feeder team into the first team.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
Sounds like a good thing for likes of Sanders who will most likely not be in the 1st 11. Got to more competitive playing other reserve sides than Lincs league sides.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
 I remember in the late 60s ..early 70s the Club took part in 'The Eastern Professional Floodlight league  (or something)
   It meant two (almost)  1st team  games a week for Aug/Sept at least and maybe late season months as well .
    Would like to see something like that inplace again ..games were very watchable .. gave a run out to all the squad players/triallists /etc..and gates were usually well over a thousand  at YS .!.
    I remember watching many or them early doors .

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
I remember in the late 60s ..early 70s the Club took part in 'The Eastern Professional Floodlight league  (or something)
   It meant two (almost)  1st team  games a week for Aug/Sept at least and maybe late season months as well .
    Would like to see something like that inplace again ..games were very watchable .. gave a run out to all the squad players/triallists /etc..and gates were usually well over a thousand  at YS .!.
    I remember watching many or them early doors .

Used to love going to see the matches under lights, it seemed a completely different atmosphere, and yes the crowds were big 'cos there was still time to go to the pub after the match, what better way to finish a days work? :)

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »
BB can you throw some light on the letter of the week (target)  is it sour grapes or should VINCE and co have done more for the lads.
there must have been some sort of a drink or party VINCE would have known about the disbandment long ago.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
Hi Miele! Afraid I don't get the Boston Target so not seen letter. What was it about?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »
Talking to Vince a few weeks ago down the lounge we asked him if he was coming back to do the reserves next season. He responded that he wasnt sure he would need to think about it and make a choice at the end of these season.
I guess that could say at the time he did not know or it could say he did not know but was aware there was to be a meeting regards to it.

Dont really clear it up much but hope it helps.