Author Topic: The future  (Read 8139 times)

dubai camel

• View Profile
The future
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »
Another season comes to an end, plenty of highlights it seems, but never did we mount a sustained challenge for promotion, which has to be a major disappointment.

Me thinks there will be more of the same next season, as the club prepares for and gives priority to its relocation.

No real serious title challenge , mid table plus.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: The future
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
Another season comes to an end, plenty of highlights it seems, but never did we mount a sustained challenge for promotion, which has to be a major disappointment.

Me thinks there will be more of the same next season, as the club prepares for and gives priority to its relocation.

No real serious title challenge , mid table plus.

No reason why relocation should impact on promotion push ,    Newton does the relocation , Green does the team.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
This season has to be seen as a good one flirting with the play offs, good attacking football and a great home record. Next season anything below play offs will be a huge disappointment. Big summer ahead and personally keeping hold of the likes of Miller and Pidge should be Den's biggest aims as both would be hard to replace on our budget.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
And you have confidence Greenne will turn us into genuine title contenders?

Chester will have a strong side, Stockport now know what to expect, the 3 above who who will miss out will be strong, as will FCUM/Chorley/Brackley.

I expect us to lose some quality over the summer, it was more by accident than design we stayed competitive as long as we did, we've had some real duds like Bore, Timms,Mills,Reed and Sanders, not to mention the clowns who turned out at Hednesford..........can Greene really hit the ground running next season and get us up there early doors?

I'm not sure.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »
Greene deserves another chance next season and whilst there were some "duds" we haven't seen players of the quality of Miller, Pidge, Garner, Steer, McGhee etc at the club since S and H came in and bought the likes of Church, Sleath, Newsham and Pearson in.

Greene didn't use many of last seasons squad on a regular basis this season but should have a better nucleus of starting 11 players if he can convince those mentioned above to play. He mentioned at the beginning of last season that he didn't really want to play 433 but did so as the players he had suited the system, this can be forgiven as he basically only had the summer to get rid of the dead wood and bring in the best he could on a limited budget however with more time at the helm maybe he should now choose the style he wants to play and bring the players that suit the way he wants to play?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »
I think we will still have the pleasure of seeing NFU and Yates returning to YS next season .  Don,t think Stockport have money to pump in  the team .
Brackley if they still have the same backing will pose a real threat pre-season ..............by joining the chase for Miller !!!! .

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »
Progress makes me happy and this season has definitely been that, both on and off the field.

Gutted that I've hardly seen us this season, but glad the main reason for that is another member of the Mickey Nuttell Fan Club arriving, levelled out by the man who got me hooked into this madness passing away.

Next year we might go up, we might not, but as long as we improve.  And remember folks, it is important, but its not life and death.  :)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
Like MNH, not been able to make that many games this season, but even so I've enjoyed some real highs and lows. The away win at Stockport was magnificent and it really doesn't seem that long ago, which makes the season now being over seem so strange.

Lows? Yeah, heading to the bar at Barrow with Boston 4-2 down will live with me for the rest of my days, but that defeat at Hednesford was truly grim. And although I couldn't go, losing at Workington must surely underline why we didn't make the play-offs - we had a team that was, on its day, capable of going toe-to-toe with the best in the league, but just not consistent enough to really push for promotion, particularly away from home.

If we can keep the core of the team together and add a bit more quality, we can go again next season. Sadly, I don't think we have the resources to build a side that will blow the league away, but there's nothing stopping us having another play-off push and Dennis (and scout) has shown he can build exciting teams on a budget. Isn't that what we've been crying out for? To my mind, it's exactly what we need. No, at this moment in time it's unrealistic to expect us to compete with the stupid cash sloshing around, but in  many ways wrecking the dreams of the big money pub sides is quite satisfying in its own right.

Also - our away support this season... superb. Decent group, too - no infantile wannabe top boy knobheads giving it large to five OAPs at the snackbar, just a genuine bunch singing win, lose or draw. See ya next season.

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
Just on the train making my way back after today's game.

Today's game was the reason we didn't go up. Not the result itself but the encapsulation of the season in 90 minutes. In essence not backing up good home performances on the road.  On that basis 6th is about right.

As for next year then we can't say until we see who we have registered come August but fear that we won't be able to keep our 2 main centre forwards or centre halves. Who we replace them with will be key along with the bolstering of midfield.

I can see those coming down being right up there, the losing play off teams all being there again as well as some big cheque book pub teams. Those coming up (Fylde certainly) fall into that group as well so can't see us repeating this year especially if Stockport and more likely Barrow continue their improvement.

This year was progress from the last 2 but don't expect the same next year is my gut. Hope I'm wrong though

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
Like MNH, not been able to make that many games this season, but even so I've enjoyed some real highs and lows. The away win at Stockport was magnificent and it really doesn't seem that long ago, which makes the season now being over seem so strange.

Lows? Yeah, heading to the bar at Barrow with Boston 4-2 down will live with me for the rest of my days, but that defeat at Hednesford was truly grim. And although I couldn't go, losing at Workington must surely underline why we didn't make the play-offs - we had a team that was, on its day, capable of going toe-to-toe with the best in the league, but just not consistent enough to really push for promotion, particularly away from home.

If we can keep the core of the team together and add a bit more quality, we can go again next season. Sadly, I don't think we have the resources to build a side that will blow the league away, but there's nothing stopping us having another play-off push and Dennis (and scout) has shown he can build exciting teams on a budget. Isn't that what we've been crying out for? To my mind, it's exactly what we need. No, at this moment in time it's unrealistic to expect us to compete with the stupid cash sloshing around, but in  many ways wrecking the dreams of the big money pub sides is quite satisfying in its own right.

Also - our away support this season... superb. Decent group, too - no infantile wannabe top boy knobheads giving it large to five OAPs at the snackbar, just a genuine bunch singing win, lose or draw. See ya next season.

About right really Pete, especially the last bit.......mind you, that BSc (hons) who spends his student grant on away games instead of birds and booze had a pretty decent mentor on the terraces for the last 21 years......... ;)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »
Fear for next season, but I always fear for the next season.

I care little if we go up or down. However if I'm entertained and we're not punting stupid money to compete with tinpot play things, while having a laugh on the terrace with the previously stated bunch of top lads.  Then that is all we can ask.

What we have is sometimes great, what happens on the pitch is only probably only 25% of the story, it'll come good at some point.  We just need to back it and enjoy it long enough to see our time.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:07:02 AM »
WE will never get a better chance of play offs there have been some poor sides come to BOSTON and away we have been no better than them, when I see GALINSKI and KONADU down to start I just thought of  :dan
looks like DG blamed KING for it all.
the fans won our home games.
DG lost our away games.
will we loose players to higher leages     if they go by watching them on away games then its a no.

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 09:54:30 AM »
Interesting comments - just a few people to thank in a season of ups and downs

Thanks Ken for all your good work
Thanks to the players for some memorable moments
Thanks to DG for building a half decent side
Thanks to Mr Newton for moving our club forward
and finally Thank God that we have passionate fans who care about this club

All goods things come to he who waits, we will get to the promised land

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
Anything less than a play off place next season would be seen as failure after making great progress this season. All us fans would of taken the decent season we have had after the terrible seasons previous to it. Im sure DG will rise to the next challenge of making us serious promotion contenders, let's hope we can keep majority of players together and build from what has been a very entertaining season. Keeping miller,pidge and garner will be tough though I would say.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »
(shauneyg) after yesterdays performance who would want them    so with a bit of luck we could keep them :)