Author Topic: Greene to be cautious over player contracts  (Read 4617 times)

bostontarget.co.uk

• View Profile
Greene to be cautious over player contracts
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »
Boston United boss Dennis Greene has invited his entire squad back for pre-season training, but has warned he will not be handing out a string of one-year deals.

Read more: http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/Dennis-Greene-vows-cautious-contracts-Boston/story-21000561-detail/story.html#ixzz2zj7tjJsZ

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Greene to be cautious over player contracts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
Interesting.

I guess that means Piergianni is the only one signed up on a contract so far then? Great to know he is staying.

Would be a blow if we do lose Miller, but if a higher level club come in for him then who who can blame him.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »
Interesting.

I guess that means Piergianni is the only one signed up on a contract so far then? Great to know he is staying.

Would be a blow if we do lose Miller, but if a higher level club come in for him then who who can blame him.

I dont read it like that Lee. If Pidge had signed, actually put pen to paper it would be all over the main site. Agreeing a deal in principle is not the same as signing, even though it sounds really promising, and if please god somehow we did get promoted all presented offers will presumably change. I totally get DG's point about the pit falls of contracts, with Mills and Timms taking a huge slice of his budget and Ross and SWD hardly playing this year so being wary is understandable but in an ideal world, for us lot to see Pidge, Garner, King, Steer, Newsham, McGhee, Miller, Newsh and Dowie all on contract would be really exciting, but realistically it's not likely to happen regardless of how much we want it to . If any player moves upwards, then as you say Lee fair play to them its totally understandable  just as long as none leave for other teams in the Conf North that's what hurts isn't it?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
Interesting.

I dont read it like that Lee. If Pidge had signed, actually put pen to paper it would be all over the main site. Agreeing a deal in principle is not the same as signing, even though it sounds really promising, and if please god somehow we did get promoted all presented offers will presumably change. I totally get DG's point about the pit falls of contracts, with Mills and Timms taking a huge slice of his budget and Ross and SWD hardly playing this year so being wary is understandable but in an ideal world, for us lot to see Pidge, Garner, King, Steer, Newsham, McGhee, Miller, Newsh and Dowie all on contract would be really exciting, but realistically it's not likely to happen regardless of how much we want it to . If any player moves upwards, then as you say Lee fair play to them its totally understandable  just as long as none leave for other teams in the Conf North that's what hurts isn't it?

How many are northern based and on the radar of the village idiots from the shadow of the bridge?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
Interesting.

How many are northern based and on the radar of the village idiots from the shadow of the bridge?

I can think of two.
United we stand..................

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »
Contracts are a tricky subject and can work for and against you at this level. Personally I would like to see players who have proven themselves at the club already - Miller, Newsham, Garner and Pidge  in key positions to be offered contracts as unlike the likes of Timms and Mills they are low risk.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
Thats a fair point and endorsed further by the fact that DG now knows the characters and personalities of this years players something he didn't know last year which we hope might make giving some players a contract a lot easier and certainly less worrying

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »
Yeah I just think he will get players in on non contract with the view of earning a contract rather than just handing out contracts straight away. The right approach if you ask me...

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:45 PM »
Then be prepared for players to seek the security of a one year deal elsewhere, why would you sign non contract to be released at will, if we as fans expect loyalty to the club from the players, should they not expect that loyalty in return as a reward for the seasons performances.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »
Then be prepared for players to seek the security of a one year deal elsewhere, why would you sign non contract to be released at will, if we as fans expect loyalty to the club from the players, should they not expect that loyalty in return as a reward for the seasons performances.

At this level I think most clubs only have a few contracted players ,  non-contract over a season I suppose you win some and lose some .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
Some players may like the flexibility - it works both ways. They could start the season here, and not be hindered by a contract here to move elsewhere.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
Out of interest, how many of A F C Telford, North Ferriby, Hednesford, Altrincham ,Guiseley players are on contracts and are they all semi professional

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »
The're all semi-pro, as are any sportsmen/sportswomen who get any sort of financial incentive, without it being their full-time occupation.  Whether a contract is involved is a different matter.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:08:55 AM by Cavalier »
United we stand..................