Author Topic: Today :(  (Read 12098 times)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: Today :(
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
Played ok today, but simply fell foul of the fact they didn't need to play so were able to amble about at their own pace without the need to open up.

Not the best BUFC performance we've had away from home, and to be honest we've played better an lost on the road earlier in the season, but still an overall improvement in recent weeks.

Fantastic away support too,
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 10:21:58 PM »
If DG does bring in new players, I hope he finds some taller players of merit. One thing that has been obvious this season is the feeling of camaradie in our present squad. It would be sad to see any of them leave but the show must go on if we are to make the play offs next year. Whatever DG says, we HAVE missed Newsh in the run up this season.

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
Who cares about the playoffs, bigger ambitions in life, let's fool the Bostonions.... Be a benefit fraudster or just chase land deals and fill bucketfuls of cash! Those kind don't give a toss about Boston United!

What the hell are BostONIONS.A new vegetable?

I may be wrong but I think he's made a spelling mistake , as a proud Frenchman , Claude was talking about Bestonions .

Great support today at Leamington today , shame it looks like we'll just miss out.
Special award goes to Leamington for:

(1) Worse music ever played before a football match. Ever.  The "DJ" had been to a carboot and bought loads of Best of Ibiza '94 followed up by that much loved classic "Cotton Eye Joe ".

(2) Using Hitler Youth to train the car park florescent bib bloke who expected your car to be parked within 6 inches of the next car despite the massive car park. He didn't seem to understand people need to be able to open the doors of their car to actually be able to go and watch the game.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:06 PM »
I'll do a blog post when I get time but very frustrating. We had the majority of the play though they had the 2 best chances.
Thought they were borderline negative/organised which surprised me a bit given they've not been in bad form and they're at home.
Miller was especially lively but way, way too greedy today which was a pity but once we put Garner up top, the last 30 mins won't live long in the memory!

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:35 PM »
Poor performance today. No width, very little craft and no apparent game plan. Nil nil was a fair reflection of what was served up.

Great DJ though. Played some eighties rock classics. Nice little Club - even if it was an hour's walk from the town centre.

DL

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »
Found it very difficult to enjoy the game, spent a long time finding a decent place to watch the game from with a decent view and a bit of atmosphere but gave in. Strangely didn't come away feeling particularly down hearted which must be because of the great strides we have made over the season. Looking forward to tomorrows game and like others on here would love to see the lads go out with a bang and ruin NFUs chances of the top finish. I see Mr Allam was at Ferriby yesterday wonder if he will make it to York Street? If he does make sure he pays to get in as he has no affiliation with them, Has he?
Can we keep the squad together with the exception of a few for next season? lets hope so but I fear the budget will have to rise quite dramatically to do so after hearing what one player is asking for.

milo1972

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »
Enjoyed the day despite not getting maximum points. Tidy little ground which was very non-league to say the least !

Performance was average. As previous posts stated Miller was greedy but give the young lad his due he kept working hard and his pace and trickery caused their defence plenty of headaches. If he had only passed the ball more often we may have left The New Windmill Ground with 3 points. We must remember Ricky has had an excellent season.
Putting Garner up front in the second half meant only one thing... HOOF... Im not a big fan of this long ball tactic but it has worked this season. Unfortunately not this time. With this tactic we lacked width and our usual good short passing ending up being long balls.

On a positive the away support from Uniteds fans was excellent yet again. Approximately 250 at a guess travelled from Lincolnshire. They are a credit to the club.

Overall im delighted with the progress this season. Onwards and upwards springs to mind. If we can keep 80% of the current squad then we will have a great chance of a top 5 position next year. I will definitely be renewing my season ticket !

The only disappointment this season has been the lack of support from the boston public. An average gate of under 1100 has been poor with the team flirting with the play offs all season.This is one area the club as a whole need to look at for next season. Im a great believer of the `kids for a quid` option. Ive been to many away games this season and kids under 12 have been admitted free!

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 10:13:58 AM »
Gutted!!! What a great effort from all the lads just didn't have quite enough in the end. Next challenge is keeping this squad together which in my opinion is gonna be a massive task,higher league clubs will surely be looking at our players. Can see us losing a few but let's hope DG brings in some decent replacements and we can progress further next season. Let's hope for a big turn out Monday to appreciate the lads great efforts this season....

Why are higher league clubs 'surely' going to be looking at our players?

At the end of the day they as a squad have come up short.

Don't hype players, who have failed in their primary objective, to be something they are not. I'm not fooled, they are here for a reason and I didn't hear too many whispers about scouts flocking to York St this summer.

They are mid table Conference North players, not Conference National players.

Although the season has been a massive improvement it just serves to highlight the absolutely terrible job Jason Lee did here, and yet he still had apologists. Greene has put together a competitive squad, nothing more. We never come close to being a top side, we've always been there or thereabouts in the play off zone, but really as a club that should be the absolute minimum requirement. When its come to the crunch in the key away fixtures (Telford,Brackley,Ferriby,Guiseley and Hednesford) we've not picked up a single point. That tells me we're lacking something, be it desire or tactically.

As a mark out of 10 for entertainment its been a solid 8, for attainment its been a 6.

Play offs should be the minimum requirement next season, anything else is selling the support short.

We don't often disagree N40's but I don't blame the players at all, we probably have as good a first eleven as any team in the league and who play strictly to the instructions of the manager, and whilst rightly he has to take plaudits for our home from and freedom in play, he equally has to take full responsibility for the dire performances on our travels, which up until very recently were the complete opposite. We have been too cautious by far, and at times, like yesterday I feel panicked with the tactics chosen. With half hour to go and with a match crying out for width, he pushes Garner up front again and against the biggest meathead defender ever and instead of attacking them on the floor as all bar the final ball we were doing quite well, we then just pumped everything long up to Scotty who not surprisingly won very few back to goals headers and I bet their CH couldn't believe his bloody luck when we changed formation in such fashion as it played right into his hands, or should that be head?
Surely knowing we needed a goal he could have gone three at the back, put the two quickest players Steer and Mcghee on either wing against a slow back four, and in a game crying out for width spread the game in that fashion and press forward in that way. But as you say our away formed has come back to haunt us. The play off's were not lost yesterday but undoubtedly at the games you mentioned and others like, Oxford, Workington, Barrow. So much better than last year and to fall just short hurts, thats for sure, but I agree with Shauney G they do deserve a good send off tomorrow if only for the improvement shown over the last twelve months.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
Gutted!!! What a great effort from all the lads just didn't have quite enough in the end. Next challenge is keeping this squad together which in my opinion is gonna be a massive task,higher league clubs will surely be looking at our players. Can see us losing a few but let's hope DG brings in some decent replacements and we can progress further next season. Let's hope for a big turn out Monday to appreciate the lads great efforts this season....

Why are higher league clubs 'surely' going to be looking at our players?

At the end of the day they as a squad have come up short.

Don't hype players, who have failed in their primary objective, to be something they are not. I'm not fooled, they are here for a reason and I didn't hear too many whispers about scouts flocking to York St this summer.

They are mid table Conference North players, not Conference National players.

As a mark out of 10 for entertainment its been a solid 8, for attainment its been a 6.

Play offs should be the minimum requirement next season, anything else is selling the support short.

Sometimes I think I must watch different games to others I really do, for geographical reasons and even though many have suggested they want to stay, whilst I would be chuffed if they stayed, simply can not see the likes of Garner, Steer and Junior staying, and if Pidge and Miller do not start off the season next year in a higher standard I would be amazed. Newsh thankfully with a good job will stay but his knee is a worry, Ross, Fairclough and SWD will not be here for different reasons, and I agree with Shauney, it could require a significant re-building job next season.

Entertainment value (at home 9, maybe even a ten) (away 4 maybe a five) which both are reflected in our results and attainment 7, no more as we have as you rightfully say fallen short

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
It's great to hear these players saying they want to stay as I have no doubt they enjoy being at our club but who could blame these players if they get bigger and better offers from clubs closer to there homes? I'm sure DG has players lined up for next season and let's hope we can build on this season and improve on what has been a entertaining season but miller is gonna take some replacing. Let's hope for an increase in the playing budget???

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »
If DG does bring in new players, I hope he finds some taller players of merit. One thing that has been obvious this season is the feeling of camaradie in our present squad. It would be sad to see any of them leave but the show must go on if we are to make the play offs next year. Whatever DG says, we HAVE missed Newsh in the run up this season.

Totally agree with the latter point, we have missed Newsh especially as SWD just looks to me like a player who cant wait for the season to end, but I for one am not bothered about bringing in bigger players at all. As is currently proving, with the exception of the latter our smallest players of which we have many are our most combative, all it means is we need to get the ball down and play which I don't have a problem with at all
Yesterday was just a game of huffing and puffing wasn't it, no real width and apart from one sublime lob which hit the bar, one blatant penalty appeal waved away and two great headed opportunities for Pidge all our efforts were from outside the box and proved easy for a keeper who seemed hell bent on time wasting for the first minute. In my opinion thats not because players were being greedy at all either, on reflection its surely because of the lack of better and open options available in and around the area.  Unfortunately for us a draw was probably a fair result

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »
Greene doesn't seem to like width. Even if Semple wasn't the answer, Fairclough is rarely used out wide. It's the key to unlocking these big defences on many occasions, particularly away from home.

DL

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
We have changed systems as the season has gone on.  At the start of the season we seemed to have all wingers and only Ross and Milnes who could play central midfield, now we are all geared towards the diamond formation which gives us no width at all.  With Dowie now sitting in front of the centre halfs, the full backs do seem to get forward a bit more, but too much of our attacking threat and creativity around the box in recent weeks has come from Ricky Miller alone. 

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 08:46:32 PM »
Who cares about the playoffs, bigger ambitions in life, let's fool the Bostonions.... Be a benefit fraudster or just chase land deals and fill bucketfuls of cash! Those kind don't give a toss about Boston United!

Yawn.......

Its going to be a long summer with you about isn't it? >:(

I might start posting again, that will cheer things up :)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell