Author Topic: FAO Ken  (Read 4285 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
FAO Ken
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:26:09 AM »
I don't know if this affects anyone else, but I've noticed that sometimes when I visit this page I get redirected to some dodgy looking pages about "computer support" or shopping, or random 'search' pages I've never heard of. This happens on various PCs I use (but not mobile), so it can't be anything to do with those dodgy sites my, er, mate has been on using my laptop. I know when I used to run the old forum using SMF that these things are prone to spam attacks constantly, so thought I'd bring it to your attention...

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: FAO Ken
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:28:38 AM »
I had it a few times yesterday, came here then i got redirected thou a few different sites very fast then ended up at some search page begining with N, Cant remember the full name just remember swearing at the laptop.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
Yes. It's happening to me occasionally as well. And I can't find out why! Seems to only be if I get here via my bookmarks rather than clicking on a link.

Someone else spotted it a couple of months ago and it seemed to stop after a few days, but it's come back.

I've tried googling a solution but couldn't find anything.

If you ignore the page and just try again it gets here the second time.

Anyone else got any suggestions for a fix?

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
Same with me. Patter opens automatically in my browser, but yesterday and today it opened with a site called "Vuze". I disappeared when I refreshed the page.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
Same with me. Patter opens automatically in my browser, but yesterday and today it opened with a site called "Vuze". I disappeared when I refreshed the page.

Vuze.............. Bitorrent downloader. Theres where your hijack comes from they got a history of it

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
I don't know if this affects anyone else, but I've noticed that sometimes when I visit this page I get redirected to some dodgy looking pages about "computer support" or shopping, or random 'search' pages I've never heard of. This happens on various PCs I use (but not mobile), so it can't be anything to do with those dodgy sites my, er, mate has been on using my laptop. I know when I used to run the old forum using SMF that these things are prone to spam attacks constantly, so thought I'd bring it to your attention...

I think it is called karma Pete :-*
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »

I think it is called karma Pete :-*

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's more technical than that Mark.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
Ken

Have you got some sort of problem with SMF?  I occasionally get the issue when accessing the forum, but never when accessing your main site, suggesting that the issue lies after bufc.drfox.org.uk has redirected you the forum?

Do you host the forum locally on One and On or at an SMF host?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »
Ken

Have you got some sort of problem with SMF?  I occasionally get the issue when accessing the forum, but never when accessing your main site, suggesting that the issue lies after bufc.drfox.org.uk has redirected you the forum?

Do you host the forum locally on One and On or at an SMF host?

It's all hosted on 1&1 - both the main site and Patter. Really not sure what is going on. I've done a load of maintenance checks and nothing untoward has been found. It's the most up-to-date version of SMF with all the security fixes. And 1&1 have migrated everything to PHP 5.4 so everything should be more secure than ever!

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:54:29 AM »
fascinating stuff!  Please let's have more.  Beats the dizzy dingoes  that just write "troll" all the time.  :dan
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
Troll
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
For those experiencing these internet problems, you've probably downloaded a dodgy Malware programme. If you are using Internet Explorer you will need to re-set this by going on Tools - Internet Options - Advanced and Restore Advanced Settings. You will then need to delete Temp Internet Files, Cookies and History by going on Tools - Internet Options - Delete (Browsing History). Make sure you don't delete passwords etc! Then on your Computer you will need to delete any recently installed programmes which you are not sure about - Malware is a big problem. Go to your - Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a Program. You may need to restart your Computer. Cannot guarantee this will work and there may be other issues which may arise after you have deleted the malware such as Norton may need re-installing. Took me 4 hours to wipe it out but worth it!! Change you passwords if you can asap thereafter. Best of luck!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"