Author Topic: remind me Please  (Read 7520 times)

semion

• View Profile
remind me Please
« on: October 14, 2009, 10:59:31 AM »
As an infrequent visitor to York St, I remember my first visit. When a certain manager by the name of Dave Cusack (sic) was the man in charge.  What was his record like with Boston, and what happened to him ?

Bob Lee

Re: remind me Please
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »
I believe he went to what is now Dagenham, took some good players with him.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:05:39 PM »
Dave is coming back as a Legend in November or December. Now he was a character .....I had a run in with him over a new contract at the start of 87/88 ....I won, but he won in the end by not playing me and he got rid of me to Kings Lynn, so I owe him one!
Really good player in his time, mind you he used to tell us that all the time anyway!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
The next few Legends - nicked off the OS.

Chorley: Paul Cavell
North Ferriby United: Chris Withe
Marine: Gerry Stewart
Burscough: Mel Sterland
Bradford Park Avenue: David Cusack

Though that presumably only holds if both us and Bradford are out of the FA Trophy as the Bradford game is on 12th December which is the date of the first round proper of the FA Trophy. 

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »
I just don't get Dave Cusack coming back as a legend!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he leave us to take over as manager of D&R, taking with him our best players including John McKenna, Paul Shirtliffe (RIP), Paul Richardson, Paul Cavell and one other (can't really remember who, was it Gary Jones? Are you able to help with that Ken?). As Cookie says, he even got rid of him to Kings Lynn.

We then didn't replace these players with those of  the same calibre, and that started the downward spiral culminating in our relegation from the Conference a couple of seasons later.

Is this man really a legend?????

I entirely accept that he was a good player for us, and alongside Tex Hardy formed a good defensive partnership, but I can't help feeling he screwed us when he left.

Comments anyone??????

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
That sums it up neatly Wembley 85 ,

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:44:17 PM »
I just don't get Dave Cusack coming back as a legend!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he leave us to take over as manager of D&R, taking with him our best players including John McKenna, Paul Shirtliffe (RIP), Paul Richardson, Paul Cavell and one other (can't really remember who, was it Gary Jones? Are you able to help with that Ken?). As Cookie says, he even got rid of him to Kings Lynn.

We then didn't replace these players with those of  the same calibre, and that started the downward spiral culminating in our relegation from the Conference a couple of seasons later.

Is this man really a legend?????

I entirely accept that he was a good player for us, and alongside Tex Hardy formed a good defensive partnership, but I can't help feeling he screwed us when he left.

Comments anyone??????

I might be wrong and I haven't got time to check this right now - my tea is nearly ready! But I thought Dave Cusack left us to become manager of Kettering Town at around the same time that we appointed Peter Morris. Cusack did have a spell at Dagenham, but wasn't someone else in charge there when they raided us for Cavell, Richardson, McKenna, Shirtliff and (ahem) Nuttell?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Sure you are right LP, Cusack left us for Kettering and we then took on Peter Morris who had been sacked by Kettering. It was JOHN STILL who was the manager off D&R.

Shodfried

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
Only Gerry Stewart of that lot id fit to be classed a legend.

Cav and Chris Withe were crowd favourites. Legends no, but popular players.

Sterland was a piss poor manager who brought a lot of washed up old pro's down here and squeezed a nice pay day out of the club with a testimonial.

Cussack was a pretty mediocre manager in the same era as Kerr and O'Brien when Utd's season normally ended in January with the obligatory Trophy exit to Bloody Runcorn.

Louth Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:02:31 PM »
Ah the near post corner for Dave to flick it to the far post with his nose!
It was good but there was never seemingly a different corner.
Anyroad glad to read he'd alive as there had been some doubt after a bad accident after which news dried up.
Sterland-dear oh dear. Oops there's a post office safe in my garage.
Then again we could have been promoted during his time as manager if JB had  done his stuff and not listened to Pat - and we may then have never heard of S Evans esq. We could still have been trundling along in the Conf National but with a clear conscience. Oh well

Shodfried

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »
Ah, fate, that most fickle of mistresses....... ::)

Think back though, if we'd been promoted we'd have come straight back down, that team was ill prepared for Conference football.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
They should put Cavell and Cusack together ;)I was told by a former player they never got on after a transfere to D&R ;)

Seenbetter

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 07:21:31 AM »
Will soon run out of 'legends'. What then ?. Perhaps ex managers. Anyway a legend to me is someone who's name always sticks with you. I always remember names like Johny Lakin or Billy 'Chopper' Howells (I think we've had him). Showing my age now. I think Lakin sadly died a couple of years ago. How about Jim Smith. Evans would be good cos I'm sure we would like to show him some form of appreciation.

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 08:47:03 AM »
Will soon run out of 'legends'. What then ?. Perhaps ex managers      Evans would be good cos I'm sure we would like to show him some form of appreciation.

Great Idea,  get Stevie back he was a true Leg end. Then maybe the next time get Gee,  another true leg end  ;D

Shodfried

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:54 PM »
Leg end?

More like Bell end.