Author Topic: Workington  (Read 8453 times)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Workington
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 12:17:37 AM »
Just got in after a 17 hour round slog and a £70 trip at that.
Wind made it nigh on impossible for any quality to be played, they had it first half and used it to clear their lines. We looked the more likely but we hit the post and their keeper made 2 decent saves. We were quite wasteful when we did get into decent positions for crosses/shots.

2nd half was almost all us. They were pinned in their half by the wind and we laid siege to their goal without creating too many chances- Newsh hooked one wide, Miller shot instead of passing it, they made some good clearances, but near the ned we faffed about with it and got caught in possession and they took advantage. SWD came inches away from getting a goal but a low mark in a generally good season for us. Win our game in hand and we're net 5th place... but it is tight

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
Let's wait for Pilgrim86's report of the match.
Why? Considering I was sat at my desk at work, I didn't get a good view of the game...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
My mistake again, Pilgrim86! Thought you may have been at the game being an avid fan! Anyway, as you are on the Patter, any thoughts on yesterday's result? I refer to the first team, of course!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Luckily I did go. Here's what happened. The game was literally only worth a couple of sentences!
http://underthefloodlightsblog.wordpress.com/a-long-road-back-workington-1-0-boston-united-conference-north-8314/

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »

Thanks for that excellent unbiased report  joshb, Fans like you are to be admired for their continued support for the team, having a unexpected defeat like yesterdays to watch the journey home must have felt twice as long to endure.
 As other posts say, we shall need a miracle now to get into the playoffs, inconsistency and individual errors are still prevalent in the team, eradicate those errors out the team and hopefully we can still make the top five in this league.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
Ermmm........... Seems like we really do have a massive problem with playing away,

If our away form had been better this season we would be tapping on the door. Its a area that needs looking at for next season. maybe a change in style away from home even if its to a negative style to turn some losses into a point.

A more negative style? That's already the problem, particularly away from home we are surely too negative. Four at the back, two holding midfield players, pulling two of the so called front men back to the extent they are almost playing in the back four, leaving our one striker totally isolated. If we don't push more men forward away from home it will come back to haunt us. DG did this at Histon and he has to change and not be so worried about trying hard not to lose, we need to go out trying to win the bloomin matches. Disasterous result

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 01:05:34 PM »

Thanks for that excellent unbiased report  joshb, Fans like you are to be admired for their continued support for the team, having a unexpected defeat like yesterdays to watch the journey home must have felt twice as long to endure.
 As other posts say, we shall need a miracle now to get into the playoffs, inconsistency and individual errors are still prevalent in the team, eradicate those errors out the team and hopefully we can still make the top five in this league.

We dont need a miracle at all, we simply need to put an unbeaten run together or win 3 or 4 on the bounce, which is hardly the stuff of miracles. But the away form, two wins since mid September (and they were at GT and Histon) is pretty dire isn't it.
DG said earlier in the season any point away is a good point, well I disagree, against the likes of Stalybridge, Workington, Histon and the like, we really need to win, and more go out to win with all our offensive guns blazing.
But even if we lose at Colwyn, Altrincham and at home to Ferriby, win five of the other seven and I reckon we will still be in the play offs then anything can happen. So don't get too down, a quick peek at the league table will prove we still have everything to play for and now perhaps is the time for DG to change his tactics and revert to two up front as he previously declared was his preferred formation, we can still do this

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
We just need to do what we've only done once in 3 years- put 3 or more league wins together. Everyone else up there has done it, why do we let ourselves down... Workington and Oxford were 2 very winnable games to add to the Hednesford win to get to 3 in a row, but we couldn't come up with the goods.
The away form will have cost us if we do miss out, still points to play for- we proably need 20 points from the 10 games we have left. So 6 wins. But with only 4 at home, we'll need to find one somewhere

Actually, to be fair, the journey back wasn't that bad. We left Workington at 6. I was due back at 11:30 but thanks to getting a slightly earlier train from Carlisle and then just catching a delayed train at Warrington, I got in about 25 minutes earlier than expected. But if felt a long time. It got to 7:45 and I thought, still almost 4 hours to go!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:19:40 PM by joshb »

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
My mistake again, Pilgrim86! Thought you may have been at the game being an avid fan! Anyway, as you are on the Patter, any thoughts on yesterday's result? I refer to the first team, of course!
An awful result. Please stop singling me out, it's becoming a tad obsessive.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
Sounds like their keeper was their MOM. Wasn`t he on loan from Burnley?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »
Sounds like their keeper was their MOM. Wasn`t he on loan from Burnley?

Loan player?  Don't open that can of worms again!
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.