Author Topic: We could have been top of the league!  (Read 4465 times)

Challis51

• View Profile
We could have been top of the league!
« on: February 08, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
Both North Ferriby and Hednesford lost today. If we had  managed to get the better of Brackley for once we'd have leap frogged them both on goal difference. I suppose it's not all bad as it means they didn't extend their lead either.

Still hard to swallow nonetheless.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: We could have been top of the league!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:13:50 PM »
Unlucky today, could have been either side gaining the 3 points. Excellent day for Brackley.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 06:42:33 PM »
Disappointed but not disheartened, difficult conditions which they dealt with better they are as good as anything that has been here this season but gifted them the first goal through hesitation. Thought Connor had a nightmare of a game with Garner having to cover for him all game. Second goal was not going in however, will not blame Pidge for trying to clear it. Spencer really was a waste of time and should have been subbed before half time. No massive damage done but we are really missing Marrs who's season appears to have come to an end as he faces a knee operation on Monday.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »
Disappointing result but we must pick ourselves up quickly for a tough couple of away games coming up. Fair play to brackley they got there tactics spot on, they are a very big and strong organised outfit and I wouldn't be Suprised to see them win the league this season. Unlucky lads let bounce back next weekend

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »
Brackley were the best side I've seen here all season, for all the outlay and the supposed wages they looked the real deal; hard working, organized and with a bit of flair too.......not that I want them to do anything other than clear off back to the UCL as fast as they escaped from it though.

Agree with OXO, I thought Connor was poor, and Rene was taken to cleaners down that left flank very easily, such a shame it looks like Liam Marrs season is over.....

But on another day we'd have got at least a point, if Newsh's effort had gone in instead of across the goal early in the second half we may well have gone on to win that with something to spare.........but it didn't!

One small gripe about the support though; all I heard was 'we're too small' or 'they're stronger than us' or 'we're too lightweight'.........OK......so was it a different team that got us to 3rd in the table? No, we just came up against a slightly better side who got a slice of luck at the right times.......we'll be fine, all season I said I thought we'd probably just miss out on the play offs......now I'll be really disappointed if we do.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
Brackley were the best side I've seen here all season, for all the outlay and the supposed wages they looked the real deal; hard working, organized and with a bit of flair too.......not that I want them to do anything other than clear off back to the UCL as fast as they escaped from it though.

Agree with OXO, I thought Connor was poor, and Rene was taken to cleaners down that left flank very easily, such a shame it looks like Liam Marrs season is over.....

But on another day we'd have got at least a point, if Newsh's effort had gone in instead of across the goal early in the second half we may well have gone on to win that with something to spare.........but it didn't!

One small gripe about the support though; all I heard was 'we're too small' or 'they're stronger than us' or 'we're too lightweight'.........OK......so was it a different team that got us to 3rd in the table? No, we just came up against a slightly better side who got a slice of luck at the right times.......we'll be fine, all season I said I thought we'd probably just miss out on the play offs......now I'll be really disappointed if we do.

The conversation round our way was that Broccoli were the exact formula that gets you out of this division.  Strong, Physical bordering dirty at the right times, Clinical but assured in everything they do.  They'll be up there at the end and I wouldn't be overly worried to play them in the Playoffs if we can get there. On a better pitch after a hard season I recon our football would see us right.

Marrs is going to be a big miss, we generally look stronger with him in the back 4.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
I agree that we really are gonna miss liam marrs. I hope DG is looking for another right back cos conor certainly looks alot better in centre midfield. He didn't play well today but in his defence was up against for me one of the best players in the league in Glenn walker today.

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »
My only thoughts on a tight match is that Ricky needs to know when to square as opposed to shooting. When we are two or three up he can be greedy up front and rightly so, but chasing the game he needs to put the team first he only had to square it and Newsh and Semps who  were unmarked near the end and we get a point. Not a moan just at times those choices can be the difference.

OXO totally agree Brackley looked a very good outfit, but no major damage done.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
Big disappointment Saturday especially second half. Dont very often disagree with you Andy, but yesterday we did look a "small" team compared to them. At times as in yesterdays conditions I think an element of physicality helps. They did look a good side and well organised, and we were a bit unfortunate with both of their goals, but our ability to not lose the big games is costing us big time. Our record against the other top 4 sides so far read played 6 won 0, drew 1 and lost 5. Not play off material, especially as several sides below us--Barrow, Stockport, Altrincham, Harrogate, maybe Guiseley are all playing very well and 8 of the remaining 13 games are away.

Sad news that Liam Marrs may miss the rest of the season, as he has probably been one of our best players. Although Ricky Miller has been fantastic this year, I am getting increasingly frustrated that often he will not pass to others in front of goal when they are in better positions. I know all goalscorers can be greedy and often need to be, but every match this is happening, and despite everything we could have got a point yesterday if he had not been too greedy. End of rant, this sesaon is so much better that the last two.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »
We all thought Spencer had a good workman like game, couldn't understand why he was subbed.Although he'd had a knock apparently. A draw would have been a fair result.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
Apart from the end when he definitely should have drilled the ball across the area, to say it was his fault we didn't get anything is mad. Are we really that fickle?I actually want to see him, and Newsh and perhaps even the midfield being even more greedy! Because it means they have the ball at their feet. We lost yesterday, because we simply didn't play to our strengths,of which we have many, but against a team bigger than blooming Ferriby being honest we never really looked like scoring. Nigh on every goal kick and clearance was booted miles down the pitch straight to their CH's and Newsh never stood a chance. We only look dangerous when we got it down on the floor which like Stockport, Histon and yesterday proves unfortunately is becoming rarer and rarer. We have the grit, certainly the physicality in the tackle and the energy, but we're not going to get results needed, if we by pass the midfield and instead lump the ball 40' in the air especially against these giant teams.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
I should add, that with the top two losing though, the play offs are still well within our reach. At the start of the season everyone would have taken our current position. If we get four points from the next two tough away games, whilst also probably ending Harrogates play off aspirations, there will probably be a nice gap opened up, and that will hopefully fuel even more confidence. I am now convinced we will get in the play off's, and that even winning the league is open to anybody. At the moment, in an unltra competitive league no-one seems to want to go on a 4,5 match winning run. Anyone that does, will probably seal a play position, as the others will be on a big catch up crusade. 

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
Big shame about yesterday but never mind its not like it was a must win.

For what its worth i thought we lost it by not thinking and using the wind like they did. In the first half they used the right side(running from the town end)  and used the wind to float the balls into the box to good effect.
The second half we tried to do most out on the left and trying to slam the ball into the wind which resulted in the ball getting held up and dropping into there keepers arms.
Also just want to add why i think miller is a awesome player he needs to start becoming a team player. 3 times again yesterday he tried to shoot with only inches to spare when we had players in far better possitions and on one occasion Newsham unmarked at the back of goal. Still think we will be in the play offs and we have the players that can take us up but until we stop greed and trying to make it hard we wont go up