Author Topic: One of those nights  (Read 9769 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
One of those nights
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »
win some
loose some
draw some

We'll play worse and win, and better and lose.

Fair play to Stockport, I thought they worked hard and although I thought we shaded it overall they were the best side I've seen down here all season, its just a good job they seemed clueless up front.

Can't fault us for effort or application, it was just one of those games where we were never going to score, I thought they nullified Miller well. And Newsh, don't try and roll in a penalty in January in a swamp of a goalmouth........blast the bloody thing!!!!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: One of those nights
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
They will take points off our playoff rivals!

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:56:57 PM »
Could turn out to be decent point come the end of the season. If we can get a win Saturday 4 points from the 2 games is a decent return and will really put us in the mix.  Not greatest performance tonight but 5th place in January and lost 1 at home all season is certainly progress.  Keep the faith

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:50 AM »
A view from one of the Stockport forums. I agree about man of the match. for me, it was Vince:

>>>>

Just in from a cold York Street - what a gritty performance from the lads, no one in my opinion had a bad game. Lots of positives to take forward to Worcester on Saturday. Ormson made a fine double save from the penalty, which was no less than he and we deserved.He was rock!

Back 4 looked fairly solid and to be honest any team that can stop a free scoring team like Boston from scoring is doing well.
Midfield - fairly tight, did enough to harry the Boston players and certainly managed to play a few nice balls through to the front
Strikers - all worked hard - Dennis and Moke especially looked good, thought Dicko did not really do that much once on - but when Boston withdraw two small players and replace them with 6 footers in the last 10 minutes - there was obviously a few worries in their camp.

The other point to make was Boston's man of the match was their left back - who I thought did not have a good game, brought down Moke about three times, got booked and looks like he foul throws every time

This was a good performance, well worthy of the point (it could have been more) but I will settle for it.

Macc and I were talking and agreed you can really see how the team is playing for each other and they all seem to know what is expected of them - Lordy has got a formation that works, lets hope they can all stay fit for the season and we don't lose too many of them to other clubs because this has the making of a good team next season.

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
Top six all playing each other (bar us) so a win against gainsborough is VITAL. Lets try and get a BIG gate -weather permitting. CMON BOSTON

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »
A far different Stockport to the one of the first day of the season, I agree they will take many points from our rivals. How Steer could even have been considered for MOM is beyond me, thought he was a bit of a liability and lucky not to get two bookings, for me Marrs was the outstanding player on the pitch. When is the penny going to drop that Newsham is a poor penalty taker, never looks confident, almost always puts it in the same place, Green needs to sort it out and tell him to steer clear if we get another one.
Disappointed not to get all three points but everyone put a shift in and a win on Saturday will see us well in the mix. Incidentally all credit to Nobby and staff for having the pitch playable, great job. 

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
Completely agree about Marrs being MotM, he was still running up and down the right in stoppage time. On another day, we'd have stuck a couple away and been comfortable.

I thought Semple had an off day, maybe the heavy pitch and his lack of recent football was catching up with him. I'd have brought Fairclough on at HT. Miller should be our penalty taker now, he'll always be confident.

We may look back and be happy with this point - they did go to the Northolme not long ago and stick 5 past them.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »
Agree regards Motm, did feel it was the wrong choice.
As for the game felt we was just the better team but result was fair, They came with a game plan and it worked.
Everybody put a good shift in but there was a few things i felt as a team was wrong.
Why its wonderful to see miller flying at them last night he was for to greedy, Semple tried to play to wide at times giving him no place to go accept out, Miller should have switched left to right as he looked sharp a week last sat coming of the right.
If we was to give a MotM on the choice of both teams i think there No 2 stood out a country mile marking miller out the game.

A point is a good point against Stockport. Last year games like this would have seen us Lose

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
True oxo they were a long way removed from the team we played on the opening day. A disappointing result, especially as we again had a chance of the three points from the spot. But overall was probably a fair one, Newsh on another day could have had a hat trick, him and Miller each hit the woodwork, their keeper pulled of some fine saves, but Stockport also hit the wood work at least twice. I too would have given the two right backs mom and a special mention to young Vince whose handling was first class throughout. Decent performance and for a 0-0, certainly would be for any neutrals, it was a decent game as well

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
The pitch certainly played its part and both teams were guilty but the passing was very poor.  I felt we needed Ross on the pitch earlier than when he was introduced.  He is the only player who is consistent at passing the ball and reaching its target.

As for IF we get any more penalties - it is a near certainty and it will be Miller who gets fouled.   Players can't handle him, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get another on Saturday.    Either Ross (if he is playing at the time) or Miller should be the penalty takers from now on because we will continue to get them - especially when the pitch is wet and tricky to play on.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
if we got to win a game on a penalty then we need someone to hit the back of the net.
miller will earn a penalty every other game and that's what will keep us in the top 5 for sure.
a point is better than none   but we  did miss out on 3 and that's for sure.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
For sure.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
win some
loose some
draw some

We'll play worse and win, and better and lose.

Fair play to Stockport, I thought they worked hard and although I thought we shaded it overall they were the best side I've seen down here all season, its just a good job they seemed clueless up front.

Can't fault us for effort or application, it was just one of those games where we were never going to score, I thought they nullified Miller well. And Newsh, don't try and roll in a penalty in January in a swamp of a goalmouth........blast the bloody thing!!!!

Sums it up

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »
Just seen highlights- on another night it would've been 3-2 or something. Also, didn't think Newsh's pen was that bad- much better than the Telford one- it was just a very good save. I Newsh was blazing penalties over or missing the target I'd be worried- it's just unfortunate that the keepers have guessed right to him recently. Just bang the next one down the middle- hopefully he'll get one when we're about 3 up in the late stages of a game and it doesn't matter

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 08:04:06 PM »
What a shambles the referee and linespersons where,first half linesman on spayne lane was flagging offside when their attacker who was offside touched the ball second half was flagging straightaways or offside when it was us.
Then the idiot line person who spent most of his time talking to Stockport bench getting everything wrong how the hell didn't he and the ref see that 2 footed lunge by the number 2 bloody disgrace and they both bottled it should of been a red card both feet off ground and out of control, shame it's not on highlights, then that number 15 headbutts Steer and ref watches and does nothing and linesperson has to stop talking to their bench and run 20 ft to man handle Dennis who is just on the pitch.
Agree with most that Marrs was by far MOM or even Miller,
don't think Stockport where that good either apart from being well organised they should of been swept aside bad night really but at least we never lost.

Roll on our big Derby day.