Author Topic: More money worries  (Read 69114 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: More money worries
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 08:09:13 PM »
Or Tatt Road ???

Don't forget that that the benevolent Malkinsons have their tentacles wrapped around Sportsfund.

Shodfried

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »

Edit: Meant to say when we do get the land (I have faith in The Chestnuts) it might be worth building things piecemeal even if we have to start with only 1 main stand and 3 uncovered hard standing sides rather than compromising on quality to get it all built at once. We could then add to as and when we can afford?

Sorry mate, can't go with that, there's a number of club North of The Border done that and been left with the most souless of grounds imaginable. Look at Oxford too with its 3 sided ground, its the most souless of the new grounds.

Dave would do a lot worse than pop down to look at the new grounds at Dartford, Dulwich, Dorchester and Telford if he wants some inspiration.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »
Far too many fell into the "comfort zone" when the club was saved.What has now happened was always a danger as the Malkinsons have been trying through the courts since that time to up the rent to far beyond 72k that they have achieved. I dont know if there is any right of appeal but would it be worth trying as in itself it would cost thousands in legal fees successful or not. It seems to me clear that they will continue visiting the courts after this judgement to up the rent to such a degree things will crumble over the during the next eight years it is therefore imperitive that a new ground is aquired ASAP.
The club has done wonderfully well to to expand the community side of the club which of course is essential if it is apply for and receive funding towards a new ground from the Football Foundation and other funding bodies, These approaches will now have to be made sooner rather than later. All possible funding bodies wil most certainly ask the question "what are the clubs supporters doing to raise funds for a new ground if we are to consider your request" That question needs to be answered positively, we must be showing we are doing our bit if we want them to do theirs.
The Supporters Trust that has struggled to exist over the past few monthe for various reasons including the "comfort zone" will be holding its monthly meeting on Thursday 29th October in the clubs board room to put forward a plan to raise funds towards a new ground thus satisfying those questions from the funding bodies, If you care and want to support this initiative please come along to the meeting you will be most welcome and I assure you will be listened to.
We know we cannot raise enough funds for a new ground but we can certainly do our bit for our club to help any bids put forward, Who knows if they see we are doing our bit that may just be what is needed for them to do theirs.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »

Edit: Meant to say when we do get the land (I have faith in The Chestnuts) it might be worth building things piecemeal even if we have to start with only 1 main stand and 3 uncovered hard standing sides rather than compromising on quality to get it all built at once. We could then add to as and when we can afford?

Sorry mate, can't go with that, there's a number of club North of The Border done that and been left with the most souless of grounds imaginable. Look at Oxford too with its 3 sided ground, its the most souless of the new grounds.

Dave would do a lot worse than pop down to look at the new grounds at Dartford, Dulwich, Dorchester and Telford if he wants some inspiration.

I agree, im a big fan of Telfords ground, only 3 sides but it has great character, which is rare for a new stadium, id still rather have 4 sides.

The good thing about York street is that it looks quite full even when its not, see Chesters stadium for how not to do it

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »
lets get a new ground ASAP!so we can forget about the bad memories of Malkie and Evans!

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 08:29:40 PM »

You're probably right, it's just a new ground built to the standard required isn't going to be cheap. Geeze I think Nuneaton spent a small fortune on Liberty Way and that has to be the worst new ground I've been to. It'd be great if it can be achieved in 1 hit but I'd hate to watch fottball at somewhere like Nuneaton.

Out of the 1's you've listed I've only been to Telford which is a fantastic ground but it cost the fans the club, they're lucky they have a supportive council which leases the new AFC club the ground for a peppercorn rent. Of the others don't think Dulwich have a new ground and don't know anything about Dorchester but have seen pictures of Dartford which is architecturally one of the best new grounds built. It was built for them by their council, can't see ours giving us the same support.

Me I'd like something like R&D's but that may be asking for too much, I'm sure the issue has just been pushed way up the list of priorities though.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:31:18 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Shodfried

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »
Dorchester

http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=180

Dulwich

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/2008/06/dulwich-hamlet-fc-champion-hill-stadium.html

I have to admit I thought it was a bit more developed than that but there's no doubting the facilities in the main stand.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:53:08 PM by Shodfried »

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »
Dorchester

http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=180

Yep that'd do us so:

Yes Dorchester, Dartford, Telford or R&D.

No: Nuneaton, Chester. I'd also propose a no to Nantwich or Burton.

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »
Dulwich is a ground I know well, in fact I played there last year in a charity football game, whilst we extended the supermarket next door....
Its a nice set up, not really big enough for United, but they work within their means, I spoke to the chairman a couple of times, and we sorted him out a few bits like dug outs, whilst we used his car park, they really do run everything on a shoestring.
I could tell every penny counted.

Shodfried

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
Sounds like BUFC........

Dulwich get sub 200 gates though to be fair most weeks.

Of course we are forgetting 1 major issue here.....

The ground is the Malkinson's, we won't get a penny of the sale, although we'll be entitled to some grants we'll need to find a serious amount of collateral to even think about buying a plot of land, let alone putting stands and facilities on it.

Can you see the reaction locally if the council did help the club out? After the grubby antic of you know who this club is not well liked by the council tax payers of the borough, there'd be uproar if services were further cut to help provide a private company with a new facility.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:07:02 PM by Shodfried »

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 09:06:54 PM »

Guess the ground:

Isn't that The "Sotnick Arena"?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »
 mm Dulwich ground very London . I think ..
  Think at leas t the Fantasy Island stand could be moved to the  new place .
      Hope for a timely focus on the matter from the Chairman ..

Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 09:08:07 PM »
Not so keen on the Dartford set up  ;D

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/242071

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
Such a shame that we should be discussing this when the focus ought to have been about todays game.It makes you wonder just how much of a kicking the club can keep taking.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »
1964 - The rats all ran to Tattershall Road and left United to rot.

Malkie stood alone. Without him there would have been no Boston United for the last forty five years.

The club has had all of those years to resolve their problems, but we are still in the same big hole. Don't blame the Malkinson family for wanting their assets. They are not a charity for ever - just for all those times that they have saved us.

Help from our do nothing council could have resolved our problems many times over. Not with subsidy, but with a sensible approach to planning and getting rid of that NIMBY attitude. Boston is the worst place in the country for getting things done.

I will always be grateful for Pat and his dad. Time to move on. The hole will only get deeper. If it means the end, then I will be a sad old man, but bigger clubs than us have gone.

In this world you get nothing just for wishing.