Author Topic: Does D Greene ever watch any of these players before he signs them  (Read 9621 times)

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
Re: Does D Greene ever watch any of these players before he signs them
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
Looking at DG's signings throughout the season, there have been more hits than misses

Ashley Timms: Partial hit - did well in the early season lost his way somewhat
Lewis King: Hit - good shot stopper
Peter Bore: Partial hit - did well in the early season lost his place & moved on
Stefan Galinski: Hit - still young Centre-half - good back-up
Scott Garner: Hit - Top class Centre-half for CN
Liam Marrs: Hit - good attacking fullback
Carl Piergianni: Hit - Top class Centre-half for CN
Netan Sansara: Partial hit - did well in the early season lost his place and was shipped off
Rene Steer: Hit - good attacking fullback
Gary Mills: Miss - never fit & moved on
Indy Aujla: Hit - good midfielder for CN
Jake Hall: Partial hit - did well in the early on, travelling obviously took its toll
Ricky Miller: Hit - half the season gone and already into double figures

I think given time DG has brought together a good group of players, it will be interesting to see how Dixon, McGhee, Agnew & Semps get on in the coming weeks.

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »
I mentioned this before, and imo there is no way he would have seen the Gambian lad play before, and probably not seen the lad from Corby, but before we criticise DG in this instance, we really do have to consider the unique circumstances he found himself in on the Friday, which left him little option but to take a punt on a few players, okay it was punt that didn't work, but I cant see what else he could do

What is the point of your reserve team?
If you can't utilise the asset when it is needed, why bother?

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 08:41:56 PM »
There was 2 reserve teamers on the bench, one came on so that is something.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »
I mentioned this before, and imo there is no way he would have seen the Gambian lad play before, and probably not seen the lad from Corby, but before we criticise DG in this instance, we really do have to consider the unique circumstances he found himself in on the Friday, which left him little option but to take a punt on a few players, okay it was punt that didn't work, but I cant see what else he could do

Whats it got to do with you? Worry about your own team and floodlights!!!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »

It's run a little different to a normal reserves team, in my view for the right reasons.  It gives local lads the chance to be in the club and exposure to possibly make the first team.  A traditional reserve team is non playing first team players with less of a gulf between the two.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 11:36:51 PM »
One reason for not picking the reserves last Saturday might have been the possible detrimental long-term effects on their confidence. DG might have thought we were going to get pasted and so preferred to sign new, short-term players (whose long-term careers are immaterial to us) rather than go with the young lads from the reserves, who we have invested quite a lot of time in and wouldn't want to rush into the side.

For example, Ricky Drury never really recovered from the garbage that was Vauxhall Motors away last season whereas 4-0 defeat probably didn't have that much effect on the on-loan Forest left back (sorry can't be arsed looking up his name - Jack someone?) as he wasn't going to stay with us anyway.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:05 AM »

To prepare players, by definition that aren't deemed good enough or ready for the first team and to allow those first teamers who perhaps have been on the bench for a few weeks or coming back from injury to get match sharpness or to blood youngsters in a more competitive environment that youth football.

As for your point about utilising an asset, surely again by definition its only an asset if those 'reserve' players are good enough when called upon to like for like replace some in the first team. Without payment, reserves at our level can't be described or utilised in the same way they may be at full time professional clubs and to suggest they could is folly sir.

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »

To prepare players, by definition that aren't deemed good enough or ready for the first team and to allow those first teamers who perhaps have been on the bench for a few weeks or coming back from injury to get match sharpness or to blood youngsters in a more competitive environment that youth football.

As for your point about utilising an asset, surely again by definition its only an asset if those 'reserve' players are good enough when called upon to like for like replace some in the first team. Without payment, reserves at our level can't be described or utilised in the same way they may be at full time professional clubs and to suggest they could is folly sir.

The original point was why have a reserve set up if the players aren't good enough (even in a crisis?)
Why aren't first team squad players playing for the reserves? ( eg If Timms is still under contract, keep him match fit, for when you need him)

Trinity don't have a reserve team, but they utilise the under19's squad (Lacey, Karkach, Park, Batty and Wisdom-Lockwood have all appeared this season) all still a bit raw, but with potential

Not folly at all, sir

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »
The point I was referring to as 'folly' was for clubs at our level to expect simply by virtue of having a reserve team to expect it to be of the standard accpetable to move straight up into the first team, however much we hope they would be.

I agree with your point that Timms, Mills, and before they come back into the first team, SWD and Fairclough should indeed turn out for the reserves, more so if they under contract, and certainly to fill the bench at the very least the reserves and in fact the youth team should be made good use of. The fact that DG chose not to do so you have to respect even though after watching that CF last week who was worse than dire, it makes you wonder how good or bad some must be doesn't it?

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »
Dennis must have read this thread.

Just said "I know the fans don't think we watch them but we do watch them" when discussing the 2 new signings on bbc radio lincs

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
I'm sure most signings are watched. I think people would forgive him if he hadn't watched any of last week's emergency signings though, if that was indeed the case. Mitigating circumstances and all that.