Author Topic: It takes a brave man......  (Read 8921 times)

Stanrat

• View Profile
Re: It takes a brave man......
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
I dont think anyone is expecting any abuse from the Boston fans.

The only abuse I have seen is from mindless idiots who have no interest in football or the matter of homosexuals in the game and the impact coming out may have.

I expect he will be left allone  most places he goes, however there are always places like Altrincham who have mindless idiots intent on stirring things up.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
Well, yes, that’s what I was thinking. We have one or two thickos but all the glory fans have buggered off back to Gillette Soccer Saturday years ago. I’d be very surprised indeed if anyone abused him. I’m not sure anyone really cares, which, actually, I think is a good thing. Non-league football is a different world, and by different world I mean it’s more like the REAL world.

I saw a tweet from Marc at the Echo earlier to Ian Herbert disagreeing with a point in his article, saying that non-league players are more likely to be accepting of gay players as they have lives and jobs outside of football and are more rounded individuals. I think that’s absolutely true, and it also applies to the fans.

Non-league supporters, in my experience at least, tend not to be like some of the more rabid obsessives you find up higher up the pyramid, the narrow-minded kind who live in a little myopic bubble and detest anything and everything that exists outside of it. They will no doubt greet the first professional gay player with spittle-flecked vitriol. But,  odd idiot aside, I don’t think Liam has too much to worry about.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
Pretty much spot on Pete.......

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
I would sooner him play for us than against us that's for sure.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
Well at Bradford when Lewis King was rolling around on the ground following a challenge from one of their forwards (for which the forward got booked) an elderly local standing next to me shouted out "Get up yer big pink fairy!"

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:45 PM »
Well at Bradford when Lewis King was rolling around on the ground following a challenge from one of their forwards (for which the forward got booked) an elderly local standing next to me shouted out "Get up yer big pink fairy!"

Exactly what you would expect from an old fart Ken  ;)

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »

ken what happened to Timms pink shirt sponsorship post?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »

It's still here - it's just not sticky any more so it's not at the top.

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4641.0

Craig tells me the Patter sponsorship of Timms shirt will just be shifted to Lewis King's shirt.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:32:09 PM by Ken Fox »

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
On

It's still here - it's just not sticky any more so it's not at the top.

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4641.0

Craig tells me the Patter sponsorship of Timms shirt will just be shifted to Lewis King's shirt.
[/quo

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if Timms is still with us?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 10:27:19 PM »
I nearly wrote to the club when the first report went public to suggest they versed the stewards before the game at our place so we don't end up back in the press for all the wrong reasons. I guessed the story would grow and it just needs one clown to put us right back in the forefront with a press begging for a negative story off the back of this.

I loads of respect for him in doing that interview, I've met Dav quite a few times and he seems a genuine down to earth lad that loves his football.  Didn't know until the game at their place that he played for Trinity, so the only abuse he'll get from me next time I see him is for his poor choice of team.

"Eh Dav I didn't know that you were.....

....playing for that tripe"
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
Putting all local rivalries to the side for a moment, you have to say fair play to the lad.  It's taken one heck of a lot of courage to do what he's done and will hopefully pave the way for other players to feel able to come out.  Football, and the world in general, has come a long way since the dark days when Justin Fashanu's career was left in tatters.

I would imagine their will be plenty of interest in how fans react to this in the coming weeks and months.  I hope he is extended a decent reception when Gainsborough visit us.

Seenbetter

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 08:56:36 AM »
Whatever your personal feelings are on this subject you have to admire him having the guts to make it public.
I think we should all get behind him. (Sorry).
Best of luck to the guy.