Author Topic: Boston Town in general (non football related)  (Read 5457 times)

james

• View Profile
Boston Town in general (non football related)
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
i'll cut to the case basically.
i have taken my driving test in grantham 3 times and failed each time mainly due to hill related problems.
obviously boston has their test centre and I just wondered if there is many hilly areas in the town at all?

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Town in general (non football related)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:18 PM »
Of course we have hills-there's Hall Hills,Willoughby Hills,Amber Hill-not forgetting the steep slopes of Fish Hill.Sorry,I guess if your not local that will have gone over your head.In all seriousness,it's as flat as a witches......

against the odds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
Sluice bridge for a hill start but the traffic moves that slowly in Boston you might not make it there from the test centre.

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
The best hill by far in Boston is on Asda car park, well it's more of a valley really. The old pit that was filled in has sunk and if you went through it after a good rain, you could disappear from sight.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »
well i know lincoln up near the cathedral is very steep, grantham has its mass array of hilly areas. i ain't covered boston fully so would you say its fairly flat...ish

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »
Look up 'The Fens'...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Seenbetter

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »
The only time you may have to do anything like a hill start in Boston is at stop or give way junctions. Very very unlikely to be taken up to the sluice bridge from either direction and asked to stop to do a hill start (sluice bridge is the only real hill in Boston). If you want to take your test here suggest you have 3 hours driving around by someone to show you the odd places you could be taken on test to catch you out, ie. one way streets, correct approach lanes at the R/As and estate roads that have no road markings and leave you wondering which way to go. If you were to turn up in Boston just for the test without any local knowledge it could be your downfall, and at £62 test fee it could be expensive. Two hours could do you but it would be rushed.

Shodfried

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 06:58:50 AM »
Do you recommend anyone to drive him round seenbetter, there's some right rogues and cowboys out there....... ;) 

Seenbetter

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
Well Shodfried, you may say that but I certainly couldn't. After 20 years and a 75% first time pass rate this year I like to think I know what I'm doing, but to maintain anonymity I would suggest the following two people because they live on the right side of town and would be convenient for James, are nice guys and will do a good job for him. Try Ian Nimmo or Chariot School of Motoring(Steve Pearson). There are others but as I say these would be convenient for him.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:06 AM »
Look up 'The Fens'...
or should it be "look across the Fens"?
Wonder if John Terry had a problem with hills?
One last Q to the author, do you intend driving around any kind of hill should you pass on the flat?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »
James,

Here's a thought. Rather than be a danger to yourself and other drivers should you pass in the flat Fens but have to drive to the 90% of the country that doesn't resemble a snooker table, why not actually learn how to drive properly on hills? It's not terribly difficult, and if the modest slopes of Grantham are causing you such problems I dread to think what'll happen if you ever venture elsewhere.

PILGRIMS81

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
Hills or no hills why has no 1 told the author about the b*****d TRAFFIC!!! ;D