Author Topic: HISTON GAME  (Read 18417 times)

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: HISTON GAME
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »
I am furious that the announcement of the postponement was not made until 1.20pm. I had spoken with somebody at Histon FC at 10am to be told although it was wet he thought the game would be on and there was an inspection at 1300hrs. It was then announced a local ref would inspect at 1200hrs. Nobody can tell me that the pitch only became unplayable during the two inspections. The five of us were 15 minutes away when we found out, just when will travelling fans be given a thought? just because these tinpot clubs have very few fans who travel little consideration is given to fans of clubs who do have true fans. Well they have crapped in their own nest as we will no be travelling for the rearranged game.
totally agree with you OXO!
Happy New Year

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »

I left home prior to the pitch inspection on account of also visiting relatives not too far from Histon, and then through circumstances actually arrived at the ground at about two o'clock. The gates were open, so I stepped inside, looked at the pitch and was able to take a quick photo - see below.

The postponement was the correct decision. But with that amount of water on the pitch it is a decision which ought to have been taken much much sooner. If we'd been at home today I'm sure we'd have been calling in a local official from around 9am, and players and supporters alike could have been spared money and a lot of wasted journeys. Its unfortunate that other clubs in our league aren't as professionally run as ours.

Histon now joins Durham, Scarborough and Ilkeston on the list of grounds that I've arrived at after matches have been postponed!

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
Totally agree with Oxo and Leicester Pilgrim. Listened to Lincs FM at 1o'clock to hear Boston were travelling to Histon. Got to Alconbury and saw the team coach heading back north. Nothing on any websites or radio for another 15 minutes, Total shambles

Pilgrims007

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
was on my way and found out it was off anoyed isnt the word.!

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
Oxo - I bet you do if it's re-arranged for April and we need to win the game to win the league !

On a serious note, yes very poor with it being so late in the day. Leicester Pilgrim, I also went to the Durham match, which was also called off just before kick-off - high winds I think. For once, living only  20 minutes from Histon, today didn't affect me but it is really annoying.

The only positive is that I think the team need to re-group and re-focus and another few days of rest might help with that. Really must win the next two games as I think we have been average over the last month - probably for a number of reasons.

I decided to go to the Posh v Brentford match today and had a good afternoon of entertainment sat with the Brentford fans.

DL

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »
Left Fishtoft at 10.30 sat in Histon pub at ten to twelve, cosy fire and all. Knew at one o'clock the game was off so our mini bus went to the Peterborough match. Cost to get in £28.00 now that upset us not the weather in Histon.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 09:33:56 PM »
Totally agree with Oxo and Leicester Pilgrim. Listened to Lincs FM at 1o'clock to hear Boston were travelling to Histon. Got to Alconbury and saw the team coach heading back north. Nothing on any websites or radio for another 15 minutes, Total shambles
Lincs FM are NOT reliable for football. I had to tell them last week the reason why the Trinity match was goalless after 20 minutes - it had been postponed!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »
Lincs FM are NOT reliable for football. I had to tell them last week the reason why the Trinity match was goalless after 20 minutes - it had been postponed!
I heard on Lincs FM at 1.15pm approx the game was off! So cant fault them this time!

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
I was pleased it was off we were no were near ready to take them on.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
Looking at the photograph, it was obviously unplayable, but surely that must have been the case at 11.00 or 12.00 and maybe they just liked the idea of DG (who most certainly wouldn't have been on their xmas card list) and the lads arriving before informing them of the decision, or is that too cynical of me?

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »

Apologies, bit amboguous there. I wasn't complaining about Lincs FM, rather the muppets at Histon.

If the pitch inspection had been carried out at midday 90% of us would not have started out on the journey. Yet another example of thoughtlessness towards paying fans

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 10:22:42 AM »
Its about time they started making the home team forfeit the game if thy can't get a game on due to a sub par pitch. It'll make these clubs spend more money on their facilities than just piling it all into a playing squad.
Looking at that pic, how the hell did they get a game on it only 4 days ago?

SOOTY

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »
Histons drainage problems have been part of their history and it will take squillions to resolve it which won't happen. To be honest.....the pic above reflects the general sight I get when frequently going over the bridge and glance at it as i do!x However....don't take the lack of 'professionalism' towards the fans as being 'fans' fault!! They haven't been part of the running...or been communicated with succesfully for years. Their website is not up to scratch at present either and indeed is currently looking for a new Webbie to run it....and still doesn't carry a 'match cancelled' thread!!!x I knew at 12 it weren't gonna be played....perhaps @ 10amish when I first looked out of my window which was around 8 miles away from the ground....no chance it was gonna be on...even Uniteds 'excellent' facility's would have been stretched methinks...! But that is 'experience' and certainly suitable for my decisions but not one I would have gladly shared before any 'official' statement......b'cos sods law they'd have played it!!! I understand the Luton game went ahead due to BT TV pressures and was a debacle....and dangerous! We all have a price to pay for the pleasure of football....hard to judge who should make the sacrifice each time.....and yep....fans won;t be 'considered'....especially when you have 'moguls' desperate to have the game on from financial viewpoints and are willing to leave that potential until the very last second!!x How do you think they feel that ure wallets got that close to their coffers...and you spent it AT BORO..........!!!!!!!!.....????!!!!hehehe!!x
@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Sport/Sport-headlines/Histons-big-crowd-cash-boost-gets-washed-out-as-Skrill-North-match-with-Boston-United-is-postponed-20140102070100.htm

Histon's big-crowd cash boost gets washed out as Skrill North match with Boston United is postponed

Written byMICHAEL VAUGHTON

Histon could potentially miss out on £2,000 following the postponement of their home Skrill North encounter with Boston United yesterday.

The fixture at the Glass World Stadium was called off after match referee Robert Ellis assessed the playing surface at a 1pm pitch inspection, with the pitch deemed playable earlier in the day before more rain fell over the course of the morning and into the afternoon.

The Boston players and management were not far away from the ground when the decision was made, while the Pilgrims were bringing two bus loads of supporters.

And with the match now set to be rescheduled for a midweek evening, the Stutes appear likely to have missed out on a bigger-than-normal crowd in the region of 600 and a decent pay day.

The club and the referee did do all they could to get the game played, but it could not go ahead.

If the game had gone ahead it would have been David October’s last game of his loan spell from Ipswich Town, and there are currently no plans for the deal to be extended.

And Peter Grant would not have been available for selection after he was recalled from his loan stay two days early by Peterborough United.

“The squad’s without any injuries and we’re looking really healthy,” said the Stutes’ assistant manager Ricky Marheineke. “We’d have been without Peter Grant, but the lad’s got a fantastic opportunity there (Peterborough), being involved with the first team.

“The players we’ve got I believe, and I know Brian (Page, manager) does as well, are good enough to step in.

“Omar Beckles and Remy (Clerima) are more than comfortable playing at centre-half together and they’re two very, very good players.

“If Brian feels we need another one then obviously he’ll go out and look, but the boys we’ve got are good enough to do a job.

“We’re in a good position and the boys are confident. We’d have liked to have played the game, but we’ll look forward to Workington (away on Saturday).”

All of the other Mid-Anglia sides due to be in action yesterday also got the day off as the wet weather played havoc with the fixture list.

Cambridge City’s trip to Corby and St Neots’ home game with Arlesey in the Calor League, Premier Division bit the dust, as did the match at Westwood Road between St Ives and Royston in Division One Central, while 
Soham’s game at Heybridge in Ryman League, Division One North also had to be postponed.

The match at St Neots was also called off late in the day, but Saints’ chairman Mike Kearns had no complaints with the decision.

“The referee has made his decision and there is no question he made the right one, even though it does look quite good,” said Kearns.

“It’s in the club’s interest to have a match on New Year’s Day because we’ve got staff here, programmes, and would probably have been the only game on in the county or immediate area, so we could have expected a decent crowd.

“But you’ve got to think of the health and safety of the players.”

And Cambridge United’s away game with Braintree was one of the first to be called off.

Richard Money’s side are now four points adrift of Skrill Premier leaders Luton, who beat Barnet 2-1 at Kenilworth Road, but they now have two games in hand on the Hatters.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »
I am furious that the announcement of the postponement  just because these tinpot clubs have very few fans who travel little consideration is given to fans of clubs who do have true fans. Well they have crapped in their own nest as we will no be travelling for the rearranged game.
without these tinpot village clubs we would not have a leage.
remind me our we did against this village team at home and that other village team was it N/FERREBY remind me.
stop feeling sorry for yourself just think of the revenue any club looses on such an important day.
they lost out big time pluss maybe the team we would have had to put out they maybe lost out on 3 points aswell.