Author Topic: O/T Pike  (Read 5998 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
O/T Pike
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
Haven't been fishing for a while but we were going to try a fishing trip over the break  8)
Does anyone know of a place where the new breed of anglers haven't caught and  eaten all the pike yet?  :rudolph
Thanks  :xmasdeer

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T Pike
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
Try the Cowbridge mate.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
PM me

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »
Thanks for the info...the fishing trip is on!  :rudolph

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
Friend of mine had a 25 pound monster esox lucius out of an undisclosed water a while back. 

I regret not to be be able to reveal the location or watercourse under pain of death.  Good fishing however!   :santa
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Billy Shears

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
Love the "new breed of anglers" description.  ;D

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »
Friend of mine had a 25 pound monster esox lucius out of an undisclosed water a while back. 

I regret not to be be able to reveal the location or watercourse under pain of death.  Good fishing however!   :santa

Thanks Scouse, don't worry though , we have the location of the great grandmother of all esox   :dan
She likes to breakfast on a large herring fished just above the weedbed apparently   :o   :xmashat

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
"New breed of anglers"stroke thieving scrum  >:(
"till saturday comes"

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
"New breed of anglers"stroke thieving scrum  >:(

While we may not agree that our continental European cousins eat said Pike or indeed Zander (Pike is very good if prepared correctly albeit a tad boney), it is down to cultural and perhaps even economic differences that this is so. Whereas your nativer angler would return coarse fish to the river, a Polish person, by way of example, might consider this a tasty treat for his/her hard working family.  Think of it this way when you next tuck into a  juicy burger  - this would be anathema to an Indian in whose country the cow is worshipped and never considered a source of food!   :rudolph
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »
Food or not, I believe that removing coarse fish from a river is an offence.

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
You can take fish from a river you catch unfortunately, but not a still water i.e. A lake without the permission of the owner

Environmental agency rules for east anglia state

1.6.2 What freshwater (coarse) fish can I take?
On rivers, you may take no more than -
 one pike of less than 65 cm per day;
 two grayling of between 30 and 38 cm per day;
 fifteen barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, pike, roach, rudd, silver bream, smelt or tench (including any hybrids of these species) of less than 20cm per day.
All lengths are measured from the tip of the snout to the fork of the tail.
These restrictions also apply on all the waters in the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads that are subject to the coarse fish close season (see above).
There are no restrictions on the number of other coarse fish you may take (see below for eel and shad).

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
Although EA rules permit you to take a limited number of fish, many of the Angling clubs that control specific waters enforce their own rules which preclude the taking of fish.

DL

Seenbetter

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
I think you will find most of the rules only apply to English anglers, if you know what I mean.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
Trout fisheries often let you take a couple of fish home for the pan...they taste a bit better than pike though , and they are always restocking, unlike the waterways around here.
Anyway, our fishing trip proved that there are still plenty of fish left so its not all doom and gloom.

No fish were harmed during the making of this thread,  they  were all returned fin-perfect and swam away strong  :dan

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 08:08:17 AM »
You can take fish from a river you catch unfortunately, but not a still water i.e. A lake without the permission of the owner

Environmental agency rules for east anglia state

1.6.2 What freshwater (coarse) fish can I take?
On rivers, you may take no more than -
 one pike of less than 65 cm per day;
 two grayling of between 30 and 38 cm per day;
 fifteen barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, pike, roach, rudd, silver bream, smelt or tench (including any hybrids of these species) of less than 20cm per day.
All lengths are measured from the tip of the snout to the fork of the tail.
These restrictions also apply on all the waters in the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads that are subject to the coarse fish close season (see above).
There are no restrictions on the number of other coarse fish you may take (see below for eel and shad).
as you quiet rightly quote the above does still apply to LICENCE HOLDERS but unfortunately these rules are not taken notice of by the thieving long lining, fish netting, any amount of fish a day taken scum I refer to,thanks rant over
"till saturday comes"