Author Topic: Romanians, migration & football  (Read 2011 times)

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Romanians, migration & football
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:58:56 PM »
Obviously the lifting of trade restrictions for Romania and Bulgaria is a big news story at the moment, with Romanians now able to earn money legally in the UK for the first time.

One thing that I can't get my head around amidst all the media coverage  ... wasn't Tony Pascu from Romania? How then could he legally draw a wage from Boston United as a part-time footballer a few years ago?

Lincoln also had Adrian Patulea, who was also Romanian and was also briefly on trial with us. I just can't work out why Romanians could pick up wages as footballers before the trade restrictions against Romanian nationals had been lifted.

Can anybody explain?

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: Romanians, migration & football
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:37:48 AM »
The restrictions did not preclude Romanians (or any other nationality for that matter) from applying for work permits if they could satisfy the requirements, e.g. a job in the UK that was acceptable to entry rules. The new situation is that they are full and unrestricted members of the EU, and may enter without condition.

SOOTY

• View Profile
Re: Romanians, migration & football
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
I had several Romanians working with me for several months. I learnt their ways and attitude. Fearless...dedicated...loyal folk.....I found.
You will be pleased to know they enjoy other sports and pastimes familiar to yourselves......and me being from Hull/Grimsby.......fishing!! However.....they did have a puzzled look on their faces when enjoying my lake and its 10-15lbers...when I went to put them back each time we caught one!!!!!x Since that experience.....I have noticed on my travels as a fisherman and white van man on occasion 'foreigners' fishing in our rivers/lakes and the likes. Usually they just have their rods and reels too.....and a Tesco's carrier bag. In their culture....what swims 'free'...belongs to the people.........!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

I was in so much shock at their astonishment that we weren't gonna eat them....I took this posed commemorative pic to remind me of such potential. I share it with you........

@@
~
....lest I forget............!x