Author Topic: oh dear  (Read 8719 times)

wismo

• View Profile
oh dear
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
2 - 0 down already!!

bostonian

• View Profile
Re: oh dear
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
sansara! 2-1

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
any live commentry?

bostonian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
radio linc Chester v Lincoln City, and Gainsborough, Boston, Grantham and Stamford updates.

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
3 - 3 now. come on

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Great comeback from the lads after trailing 2-0 and 3-1. Been a tough away run so a decent point and now hopefully we can kick on again. Great character lads well done

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
Good result in the scheme of things, good to see Newsh edge closer to the 100 and good to see Ben Fairclough chip in with one

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
A great result considering our run of away games with lots of travelling involved.  Well done lads. :)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
We looked dead and buried a couple of times but all credit to the boys for the fight and determination to come back and in all honesty we should have won. In the first half Sensara playing up front looked a real threat and he really deserved his goal although scrappy it got us back in it, to me it was a pity he had to drop back to full back after Rene had to leave injured. To be fair Stalybridge were foiled on several occasions by King who seems to get better with every game. Finally a word for Ben Fairclough who really performed when he came on and must have nudged himself up the batting order his goal was sweetest of strikes after great passing build up and in my opinion the goal of the season.
See you all Boxing Day where we all need to get behind the lads to give us all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
I've got more in depth thought here
http://underthefloodlightsblog.wordpress.com/stalybridge-celtic-v-boston-united-conference-north-211213/

But to summarise... disappointed with a point against a really poor side (especially defensively), I thought at 3-3, we'd go in for the kill but they managed to find their feet, their keeper is the worst I think I've ever seen and really but for our usual problem of not turning up until 15 minutes in, we would likely have had a comfortable afternoon.
They were good going forwards and King was easily our best performer, making a string f fine saves from some pretty accurate shooting.

Lucky other teams dropped points but we need to get back to winning ways, hopefully on Boxing Day.

Merry Xmas
Josh

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Here's a link to my public Facebook Album with a few snaps from the game:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152137615244282.1073741876.570994281&type=1&l=f029e910e7

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:16:27 AM »
I've got more in depth thought here
http://underthefloodlightsblog.wordpress.com/stalybridge-celtic-v-boston-united-conference-north-211213/

But to summarise... disappointed with a point against a really poor side (especially defensively), I thought at 3-3, we'd go in for the k
They were good going forwards and King was easily our best performer, making a string f fine saves from some pretty accurate shooting.

Lucky other teams dropped points but we need to get back to winning ways, hopefully on Boxing Day.

Merry Xmas
Josh
IF KING were our best performer had he not been on form what would the score had been
 I wonder.
GREENE says our defence is spot on so do we need to have a good look at our m/field.
I am not nocking anyone but I do think the standard of football from teams from away as been poor,how do we liven things up?
I am not saying we are poor far from it but we are shipping goals, so we have problem.
GREENE will again hail the fight back but why put us in that possion in the first place seems its happening to often.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:38:35 AM by miele »

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »

The pitch was very heavy yesterday, cut up easily and can't have been easy to play football on. Accepting what others have said about it not being our best performance of the same, it was the sort of game we would have lost in previous years. Remember the 6-1 at Altrincham a couple of seasons ago on what must have been a fairly similar pitch?

I think our first half was a bit disrupted by the injuries to Miller and Steer, and Stalybridge were the best side at that point. They went in 2-1 up at half time with their second goal being an unstoppable free kick into the top corner. Great effort and good goal, but what was the free kick awarded for? When the ref blew I actually thought he'd given a foul on Newsham.

In the second half we dominated possession and Stalybridge looked more like the away side, attacking us on the counter. When they made it 3-1 I thought there was a possible offside in there, but the assistant kept his flag down. I was sat that side of the pitch and to be fair the linesman got several offside decisions wrong for both sides.

Fairclough scored a great goal to bring us back to 3-2 and then Newsham tapped in from close range to equalise. We deserved the point, but even then King had to make a couple of good saves for us to keep it. It was important we didn't lose the match after defeat in the previous two, and if we can follow up with seven points from our next three against Histon and Telford then we'll still be in the mix. Not sure how bad the injuries are to Steer and Miller though, so we might need to shuffle things around.

One other grumble from yesterday - not directly related to the football, but interested to know others' views nonetheless. The rain absolutely lashed down after the game, making the journey home extremely difficult. The M6 was as busy as I can ever remember. There would have been lots of Christmas shoppers heading home and the Manchester United match had just ended so all their fans were travelling home to Weymouth, etc. (Yes, there really was a Weymouth bus with a Manchester United flag in the back of it). It was the shortest and therefore darkest day in the year, and the amount of rain about, spray on the road and volume of vehicles made it into one of the worst journeys home from football I've ever had. At times you could barely see beyond the end of your own bonnet, and it took me twice as long to get home from Stalybridge as it did to get there. Yet there were sections of the M6 which have street lighting but where that lighting wasn't turned on. I know we've got a national deficit to address and I know there are political and financial reasons why lights are being left off, etc. but isn't there a time and place when we can leave the street lights off? Yesterday wasn't it. Somebody somewhere is going to die as a result of travelling in conditions like that. What price do our politicians put on human life? Sorry, went off topic, but that journey home really annoyed me!

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »
I suppose all thing considered we have to be satisfied with the point especially after yet again going behind, and as has been usual all season trailing at HT. But it really is happening so often it beggars belief and as a consequence we are constantly putting ourselves under pressure and though no game in this league is a given, we surely have to win games like this?
DG might praise our defence, and overall, rightly so, but no-one can argue we are now leaking far too many, certainly if we want to stay in the play offs. But do we think it is their fault or the midfield in front of them?
Anyone know how serious the injuries were to Miller and Steer by the way, we cant afford to have those two missing over the Xmas and new year period?
The other interesting thing from yesterday is that DG chose Sansara over SWD!!

Anyway looking forward to boxing day, and heres wishing everyone a happy xmas ;D

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »
Yet there were sections of the M6 which have street lighting but where that lighting wasn't turned on. I know we've got a national deficit to address and I know there are political and financial reasons why lights are being left off, etc. but isn't there a time and place when we can leave the street lights off? Yesterday wasn't it. Somebody somewhere is going to die as a result of travelling in conditions like that. What price do our politicians put on human life?

I don't know why the lights were off on the M6 yesterday, but I do know that sometimes they're off due to cable theft. There have been quite a few cases up here in Leeds where the street lights have gone off because someone's been out and nicked the electricity cables to the lights.