Author Topic: Please help Mr Newton make the best decision for BUFC  (Read 6080 times)

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Please help Mr Newton make the best decision for BUFC
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
with this helpful letter template which you can send to him and the council.

cc'd Boston Borough Council planning department

Dear Sir/Madam

Feedback form last night's meeting in Wyberton

It would appear that the proposed stadium will have a capacity of around 4,800 and that there will be 3 low level stands (similar to Spayne Lane), and that there will be one main stand with around 1500 seats, and ancillary accommodation, located behind one of the goals, at the west end of the stadium.

David Newton made reference to the orientation of the football stadium in respect to light etc, but from memory I am not convinced that the proposed orientation is in accordance with the information / guidance published by The Football Association, etc.

It was also stated on one of the slides that the stadium would be owned by a BUFC Community Interest Community and that BUFC would be a tenant of the BUFC CIC as would all the other BUFC branded entities, i.e. Community Football ? Education, etc, etc. There is also proposals for an all weather pitch, and conference facilities for weddings etc in the main stand.

No information was provided as to the cost of the new stadium, or where the funding would be obtained from?

However, it was stated that the whole development of 500 dwellings, and 12 acres of retail development, plus other commercial developments, ie hotels, restaurants, etc would be valued at £100 million, and that 450 new jobs would be created as the result of the development, No breakdown was provided as to where these jobs would be, i.e. car park attendants?

David Newton did verbally confirm that Chestnut Homes already own 3 adjoining residential properties facing on London Road, and had owned these properties for a number of years, and that this is where access would be obtained in the land behind.

David Newton did verbally state that the proposed Supermarket could be upto 90,000sq. ft. which is larger than the latest ASDA, and the existing TESCO and that they do not have an end user.

David Newton also stated that the new road between the A16 and London Road would not be constructed to the standard of a Distributor Road but would be designed so that this upgrading could be achieved at a later date ! presumably by Lincolnshire County Council? has anyone told LCC I wonder?

David Newton verbally reassured everyone present that the residential properties adjacent to existing residential dwellings would not be 3 storeys, as illustrated in the various photographs. There was no such assurance that the new dwellings in the centre of the development would not be 3 or more storeys. There was talk about there being around 20% social housing but this would be a matter for the Local Authority (Boston Borough Council) to determine through the planning process.

David Newton did verbally state that Chestnut Homes would not undertake all the residential development themselves and that they would sell some of the land off, with the benefit of planning permission to other residential property developers.

The general consensus at the meeting was that the residents present did not want the proposed development, either the football club, or the additional housing, and that the new football stadium should be located next to DABSI to supplement the existing sporting facilities !

From the information presented at tonight's meeting there is nothing unique in the stadium's design, or location, that would not prevent the proposed stadium being position off the Boardsides adjacent to DABSI.

There was no mention at last nights meeting regarding a park and ride, even for match days. Furthermore, from the images provided the football stadium is accessed from one roundabout onto the A16, and one of the main problems here is the access, and egress, for emergency services, fire ambulance, police if there was a motor accident on the roundabout. This has all the hallmarks of a novice "commercial" property developer, and that perhaps the developer should concentrate on house building?

Furthermore, I am sure that the latest proposals for 3 small terraces (standing) and 1 larger stand, with seating (no mention of corporate boxes !) and ancillary facilities would fit on the existing York Street site.

Therefore, besides an uncooperative landlord, there is no reason why the existing football facilities at York Street could not be redeveloped.

So once again, it is all about the football club being used to try and sway public opinion to get a planning permission for around 500 dwellings (i.e. 400 to 600) constructed in the open countryside!

It was verbally stated that Chestnut Homes had "invested" £500,000 into the scheme to date, and that the football club was currently losing £75,000 per annum. Presumably, the rent for the new stadium will be a token £1 per year then ?

My personal preference is that the football club should stop in the town centre as a lot of families travel to town, with the husband going to the football and the wife going shopping in town or vice versa.

So therefore the proposed development would be detrimental to the viability of the town centre!

Given the recent flooding, the football ground should be rebuilt with a raised pitch  and terraces (6,000 all seater), with car parking under the pitch. Throw in a leisure facility such as ten pin bowling, bingo hall, etc, etc and the new facilities would become a leisure venue.

I look forward to hearing your views on the points I have raised

Yours faithfully

SP
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: Please help Mr Newton make the best decision for BUFC
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
I used to play for Huntingdon Town in the United Counties League. They had a ground in the town centre and used to get pretty good attendances for that level. When they moved a mile and a half out of town, attendances halved and have never recovered, despite a promotion and the standard of football being better.

DL

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
That is so terrible DL!

A wonderful club Huntingdon Town and some excellent defenders if I recall

Look what happened to Wimbledon when they moved out of town too!  ;D
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »

Yeovil haven't done too badly since moving to a new out-of-town ground. Three promotions, I believe it is? Doncaster sank to non-league at Belle Vue but have been up to the Championship since moving. Swansea haven't done too badly either since leaving the Vetch for the Liberty Stadium. Then there's the likes of Burton Albion, Newport County, Fleetwood, etc., etc. Throw Arsenal into the mix if you like. If you think moving is such a bad idea, then  make sure you post on the West Ham forum as well.

Moves don't work out for everyone. But statistically those clubs that do move have proved more likely to advance than decline. So let's not use Wimbledon and Huntingdon examples to scaremonger.

Seenbetter

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »
Double, double toil and trouble;
 Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Stirring it again.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:57:50 AM »

Wimbledon moved about 70 miles out of town by their clueless Norweigan owners, slightly different to Bostons situation.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
Leicester, I wasn't using Huntingdon as an example to 'scaremonger' - it was just something I had experienced first hand. I think some of the smaller clubs with 'fickle' fan bases suffer more. Arsenal could move to Hong Kong and still fill a stadium every week.

DL

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »
Leicester, I wasn't using Huntingdon as an example to 'scaremonger' - it was just something I had experienced first hand. I think some of the smaller clubs with 'fickle' fan bases suffer more. Arsenal could move to Hong Kong and still fill a stadium every week.

DL

Fair enough DL, I agree with you. My comment about scaremongering wasn't directed at you, but at the response provided by Scouse Pilgrim. He implied that Huntingdon and Wimbledon provided evidence that stadium moves don't work. He's wrong there. For the reasons that Deeping Pilgrim has pointed out you can't use Wimbledon as an example due to the distance factor between there and Milton Keynes. I don't know much about Huntingdon, but I do know of plenty of other clubs who haven't looked back since moving grounds.

Seenbetter

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:44:34 AM »
When you think about if Mr Newton has land and plans for housing development in Quadrant 1 and Quadrant 2 no doubt he will at some stage apply for permission to proceed with those plans whether or not the football stadium is included, so at least as it stands the club will get a new stadium. He could still go ahead with housing applications and stuff the club if he wanted

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
When you think about if Mr Newton has land and plans for housing development in Quadrant 1 and Quadrant 2 no doubt he will at some stage apply for permission to proceed with those plans whether or not the football stadium is included, so at least as it stands the club will get a new stadium. He could still go ahead with housing applications and stuff the club if he wanted

The only way Mr N will achieve any planning permission is to include Boston United's new home. He needs the football club to achieve his plans. There will be provisos in any planning permission that the new stadium gets built too. The devil is in the detail and that includes watertight agreements over stadium rents and ownership.

Terry dactyl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »

My personal preference is that the football club should stop in the town centre as a lot of families travel to town, with the husband going to the football and the wife going shopping in town or vice versa.

Yes lets prove this theory correct! Boycott all local shops that have built stores outside the town centre.. I can think of one near Tesco's to start with ! ;)

In a serious note, IMO Boston will lose fans with the new ground  being built elsewhere, but i am sure they will also attract new fans, like most other clubs that have moved ground
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:25:27 PM by youngiecj »

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »
It's an out of town ground or no football club. That's the reality if the situation

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »
Do the right thing Mr Newton: build us a Debenhams.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
Scouse pilgrim who obviously isnt a  bufc fan,
states that,

"the proposed development would be to the detriment of the viability of the town centre"....

Well he obviously hasnt been into the town centre recently....Bostons town centre died many years ago,long before BUFC even thought  about relocating....local businesses have been forced to close down or sell up due to the lack of trade coming through their doors...Our lovely Council has used car parking as a way of raising their revenue unlike other local Councils who go out of their way to encourage people into their town with low car parking charges....

The bottom line  is if BUFC dont relocate there will be no club at all...but  I suspect from reading his many comments that is what SP would actually like to see...