Author Topic: New Stadium: Wyberton Village Hall meeting last night  (Read 13961 times)

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
New Stadium: Wyberton Village Hall meeting last night
« on: December 18, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
As you will know there was a meeting last night at Wyberton Village Hall regarding the new BUFC stadium.

I was surprised to find that there was 150 people attending the meeting, and even more surprised to find that both David Newton and Neil Kempster were there to give a presentation regarding the proposals.

It would appear that the proposed stadium will have a capacity of around 4,800 and that there will be 3 low level stands (similar to Spayne Lane), and that there will be one main stand with around 1500 seats, and ancillary accommodation, located behind one of the goals, at the west end of the stadium.

From the images displayed it would appear that Chestnut Homes has commissioned WMA Architects, and from a search on the internet it would appear that WMA are based near Sheffield :-

"WMA is a fully independent Practice with experience in the design and management of a wide range of building projects. They include sport and leisure arenas, complex industrial manufacturing facilities and high quality educational and commercial office accommodation. Based in Sheffield, the Company continues to be involved with a wide range of projects throughout the UK and overseas.

The Practice offers a full consultancy service from initial feasibility studies and master planning, including project management, architectural and interior design, design development, tender and construction information and contract supervision through to project completion.  In addition, we offer, town planning services and 3D computer imaging.

Many of our projects are in the sports and leisure field particularly rugby and soccer stadia.. These projects have also included hospitality bars and restaurants, conference and banqueting facilities, fitness centres, a hotel and a performing arts centre, all of which employ our particular expertise in interior design.

Industrial buildings, particularly in the steel and processing industries, have always been a significant element of our work.  Over the last few years we have successfully developed a number of major manufacturing facilities.

Other areas of expertise include higher education buildings, museums and health care buildings, transportation and commercial developments.

By care and attention to detail, close co-ordination with the client and other disciplines, WMA aim to provide buildings that satisfy the client’s requirements with a quality design, on time, and to budget. We concentrate on our Client’s requirements in order to provide the best possible standard of professional service".

David Newton made reference to the orientation of the football stadium in respect to light etc, but from memory I am not convinced that the proposed orientation is in accordance with the information / guidance published by The Football Association, etc.

It was also stated on one of the slides that the stadium would be owned by a BUFC Community Interest Community and that BUFC would be a tenant of the BUFC CIC as would all the other BUFC branded entities, ie Community Football ? Education, etc, etc. There is also proposals for an all weather pitch, and conference facilities for weddings etc in the main stand.

No information was provided as to the cost of the new stadium, or where the funding would be obtained from.

However, it was stated that the whole development of 500 dwellings, and 12 acres of retail development, plus other commercial developments, ie hotels, restaurants, etc would be valued at £100 million, and that 450 new jobs would be created as the result of the development, No breakdown was provided as to where these jobs would be, i.e. car park attendants?

David Newton did verbally confirm that Chestnut Homes already own 3 adjoining residential properties facing on London Road, and had owned these properties for a number of years, and that this is where access would be obtained in the land behind.

David Newton did verbally state that the proposed Supermarket could be upto 90,000sq. ft. which is larger than the latest ASDA, and the existing TESCO and that they do not have an end user but that they do have letting agents, most likely Hodgkinson Elkingson would look after all the residential management companies for each of their residential development sites throughout Lincolnshire.

David Newton also stated that the new road between the A16 and London Road would not be constructed to the standard of a Distributor Road but would be designed so that this upgrading could be achieved at a later date !!!! presumably by Lincolnshire County Council?

David Newton verbally reassured everyone present that the residential properties adjacent to existing residential dwellings would not be 3 storeys, as illustrated in the various photographs. There was no such assurance that the new dwellings in the centre of the development would not be 3 or more storeys. There was talk about there being around 20% social housing but this would be a matter for the Local Authority (Boston Borough Council) to determine through the planning process.

David newton did verbally state that Chestnut Homes would not undertake all the residential development themselves and that they would sell some of the land off, with the benefit of planning permission to other residential property developers (!)

The general consensus at the meeting was that the residents present did not want the proposed development, either the football club, or the additional housing, and that the new football stadium should be located next to DABSI to supplement the existing sporting facilities !

From the information presented at tonight's meeting there is nothing unique in the stadium's design, or location, that would not prevent the proposed stadium being position off the Boardsides adjacent to DABSI in my humble opinion !

As eminent fans of the club, who else was there last night?

The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

travelling man

• View Profile
Re: New Stadium: Wyberton Village Hall meeting last night
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »
What do both SP and Tom Daley have in common......................they are both irritating little people

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
Nothing irritating about Tom Daley!

The devil is in the detail TM as you well know.

If Mr Newton gets this wrong, Boston Town will be the preeminent football club in Boston (and it is certainly a community club) :bunny
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
I am sure that the latest proposals for 3 small terraces (standing) and 1 larger stand, with seating (no mention of corporate boxes !) and ancillary facilities would fit on the existing York Street site.

Therefore, besides an uncooperative landlord (Malkinson family) there is no reason why the existing football facilities at York Street could not be redeveloped.

So once again, it is all about the football club being used to try and sway public opinion to get a planning permission for around 500 dwellings (i.e. 400 to 600) constructed in the open countryside!

Furthermore, it was verbally stated that Chestnut Homes had "invested" £500,000 into the scheme to date, and that the football club was currently losing £75,000 per annum. Presumably, the rent for the new stadium will be a token £1 per year then ?

Come on David you need to wise up - we are not all yellow belly oiks!  :bunny

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
So buy it!

An uncooperative landlord could be coerced especially if the council refused any commercial/ residential development on York Street.

Or the good folk of Boston could campaign not to buy/invest in anything that is built on York Street. That would put off a few developers.

Or you could get the place consecrated Patrick! :dan 

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
Anyone know how much it would cost to buy York Street? Presumably the Malkies will be flogging it once Boston leave and not developing the site themselves and so are open to a sale?

if they're willing to sell, can you get us a mortgage Mark?

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:45:11 PM »
Scouse 'ere Pete.  Not sure who your friend "Mark" is.

I value York Street at £2.4 million but with all the flood damage this has probably dropped a bit - I mean who would want to buy a house with a wet carpet (unless you are like my relations down the Haven riverbank!).

Try Wonga for a loan (I am over extended presently in some Asian betting markets). I understand they might fleece you but at least they are open about it unlike some property developers I know  :-*

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »
What was Mr Newtons response when you put your thoughts to him last night then Scouse?
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »
So once again, it is all about the football club being used to try and sway public opinion to get a planning permission for around 500 dwellings (i.e. 400 to 600) constructed in the open countryside!

Given that the country (and quite obviously Boston) has an excess of open countryside and a shortage of housing supply, I'd say hundreds of dwellings being built in said countryside is an excellent idea. That BUFC are getting a football ground out of it is just a happy bonus.  :)

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
As you will know there was a meeting last night at Wyberton Village Hall regarding the new BUFC stadium.

I was surprised to find that there was 150 people attending the meeting, and even more surprised to find that both David Newton and Neil Kempster were there to give a presentation regarding the proposals.

It would appear that the proposed stadium will have a capacity of around 4,800 and that there will be 3 low level stands (similar to Spayne Lane), and that there will be one main stand with around 1500 seats, and ancillary accommodation, located behind one of the goals, at the west end of the stadium.

From the images displayed it would appear that Chestnut Homes has commissioned WMA Architects, and from a search on the internet it would appear that WMA are based near Sheffield :-

"WMA is a fully independent Practice with experience in the design and management of a wide range of building projects. They include sport and leisure arenas, complex industrial manufacturing facilities and high quality educational and commercial office accommodation. Based in Sheffield, the Company continues to be involved with a wide range of projects throughout the UK and overseas.

The Practice offers a full consultancy service from initial feasibility studies and master planning, including project management, architectural and interior design, design development, tender and construction information and contract supervision through to project completion.  In addition, we offer, town planning services and 3D computer imaging.

Many of our projects are in the sports and leisure field particularly rugby and soccer stadia.. These projects have also included hospitality bars and restaurants, conference and banqueting facilities, fitness centres, a hotel and a performing arts centre, all of which employ our particular expertise in interior design.

Industrial buildings, particularly in the steel and processing industries, have always been a significant element of our work.  Over the last few years we have successfully developed a number of major manufacturing facilities.

Other areas of expertise include higher education buildings, museums and health care buildings, transportation and commercial developments.

By care and attention to detail, close co-ordination with the client and other disciplines, WMA aim to provide buildings that satisfy the client’s requirements with a quality design, on time, and to budget. We concentrate on our Client’s requirements in order to provide the best possible standard of professional service".

David Newton made reference to the orientation of the football stadium in respect to light etc, but from memory I am not convinced that the proposed orientation is in accordance with the information / guidance published by The Football Association, etc.

It was also stated on one of the slides that the stadium would be owned by a BUFC Community Interest Community and that BUFC would be a tenant of the BUFC CIC as would all the other BUFC branded entities, ie Community Football ? Education, etc, etc. There is also proposals for an all weather pitch, and conference facilities for weddings etc in the main stand.

No information was provided as to the cost of the new stadium, or where the funding would be obtained from.

However, it was stated that the whole development of 500 dwellings, and 12 acres of retail development, plus other commercial developments, ie hotels, restaurants, etc would be valued at £100 million, and that 450 new jobs would be created as the result of the development, No breakdown was provided as to where these jobs would be, i.e. car park attendants?

David Newton did verbally confirm that Chestnut Homes already own 3 adjoining residential properties facing on London Road, and had owned these properties for a number of years, and that this is where access would be obtained in the land behind.

David Newton did verbally state that the proposed Supermarket could be upto 90,000sq. ft. which is larger than the latest ASDA, and the existing TESCO and that they do not have an end user but that they do have letting agents, most likely Hodgkinson Elkingson would look after all the residential management companies for each of their residential development sites throughout Lincolnshire.

David Newton also stated that the new road between the A16 and London Road would not be constructed to the standard of a Distributor Road but would be designed so that this upgrading could be achieved at a later date !!!! presumably by Lincolnshire County Council?

David Newton verbally reassured everyone present that the residential properties adjacent to existing residential dwellings would not be 3 storeys, as illustrated in the various photographs. There was no such assurance that the new dwellings in the centre of the development would not be 3 or more storeys. There was talk about there being around 20% social housing but this would be a matter for the Local Authority (Boston Borough Council) to determine through the planning process.

David newton did verbally state that Chestnut Homes would not undertake all the residential development themselves and that they would sell some of the land off, with the benefit of planning permission to other residential property developers (!)

The general consensus at the meeting was that the residents present did not want the proposed development, either the football club, or the additional housing, and that the new football stadium should be located next to DABSI to supplement the existing sporting facilities !

From the information presented at tonight's meeting there is nothing unique in the stadium's design, or location, that would not prevent the proposed stadium being position off the Boardsides adjacent to DABSI in my humble opinion !

As eminent fans of the club, who else was there last night?

Would all parties with any interest step forward? Would this proposal or another as described above benefit SP? Mmmmm....let me think!  8)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

truthsayer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
Well it strikes me that SP has documented the meeting quite well(no I wasn't there so in reality I can't comment thus rendering my first statement pointless). I think it was a given that the residents of wyberton would object to the plans, as they do anything that isn't a wood. Removing our amber spectacles we can all see that if this were to go ahead it would completely change wyberton. Yes BUFC needs a base that can allow it to move forward and without significant investment and negotiation this will not be at York Street (it got away unscathed during the flood SP). This process of consultation is essential to ensure the best solution is found for all parties. I am confident that Boston will get the stadium it needs in a suitable location. I think that the whole of the area is in the early stages of a bright future, we've got a new bridge, plans for at least one marina a flood barrier to look forward to and a team running BUFC who do seem to want to move the club on and leave a positive legacy. (They have had plenty of time do do shady dealings so far and either haven't done or have hidden it very well)
So, up the pilgrims!
Floreat Bostona!

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
What was Mr Newtons response when you put your thoughts to him last night then Scouse?

Hi Tash,

Seasonal greetings.

Mr Newton received my views a while back in writing  :bunny

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
Doesn't answer the question you were just asked.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:52:13 PM by Pilgrim86 »
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »
Doesn't answer the question you were just asked.

Deductively speaking I consider it does.  Pull your socks up boy!   :bunny

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
No one is bothered about your views SP. You obviously want to see the football club fail and us fans want to see us prosper. All the objections to the quadrant have been well handled by the Chesnuts so what exactly are the objections based on???