Author Topic: Reserves progress in the Lincolnshire League Cup  (Read 2751 times)

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
Reserves progress in the Lincolnshire League Cup
« on: December 07, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
Well done to the Reserves who beat Gainsborough Town today 2-0 in the Cup. Although not at their best, the Pilgrim's second string secured the win with 2 goals in the last 10 minutes after missing a penalty. What can I say about Gainsborough? They turned up late with just 9 men - Referee Wheeler very generously allowing the game itself to start 10 mins late - with 2 others turning up during the first half and no subs whatsoever. Their young vocal manager did not help Gainsborough's cause, spending most of the time texting on his mobile phone and the remaining time verbally abusing the officials. In the end thankfully  the right team went through. Sadly, the Lincolnshire League may have a number of withdrawals prior to the season end. I have heard rumours that Grantham Athletic (player unavailability) could be leaving the Lincolnshire League shortly. In addition, it looks that CGB Humbertherm are also struggling to raise a team at the moment due to player availability problems and Grimsby Borough Reserves facilities have been deemed as not currently meeting League requirements. I hope that this is not the case, but I see that the League "postponed" Grantham's and Humbertherm's schedule fixtures for today. If any of these clubs do withdraw, I expect that the League will be forced to do necessary adjustments of points from which BUFC Reserves are unlikely to benefit!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reserves progress in the Lincolnshire League Cup
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »
Now officially confirmed on the League website

http://www.football.mitoo.co.uk/MtchDay.cfm?TblName=Matches&MDate=2013-12-07&DivisionID=9498&LeagueCode=LNCFL2013

.....Grantham Athletic have resigned from the Lincolnshire League. To be honest, the Lincolnshire League should have NEVER accepted their membership at the beginning of this season. One, they don't even play in Lincolnshire (Waltham-on-the-Wolds, Leicestershire) and two, it was apparent from the start that the team were sub-Lincolnshire League standard. Sadly, the League now has only 14 teams and I am sure the League tables will be amended accordingly a.s.a.p.
I only hope that the other 2 struggling clubs, CGB Humbertherm and Grimsby Borough Reserves, can pull through - otherwise a 12 team League is a poor competition.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"

wez33

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
I'm afraid its all local amatuer football teams in this area that are struggling for players not just lincs league ones

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »
I agree that the better team won,heard a Gainsborough player towards the end of the first half say "you never know lads we might get a free kick in the second half" What?? They were getting more than us....Thought we would pay the "penalty" for not putting chances away but the fitness showed and thought Ngoni had them in a panic whenever he got the ball,remember one run where 5 Gainsborough players tried to take him out and eventually the number 2 did,even though the officials gave a throw in....
 Noticed two lads (who went to the dugouts with water bottles) behind York Street goal were supping beer and smoking,thought they were two lads dropped from the team but obviously not as they were short of numbers...

Seem to recall a few weeks back that we had a delayed kick off as the opposition were late turning up and I am sure it was today's opponents......
As you say,the Reserves are going to lose a lot of points and goals....

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »
Agree. Gainsborough Town had a BAD attitude towards ourselves, the match officials and to the League. They did finish 2nd last season and have a reasonable position in the League this year. However, as normally happens, some of the players with a better attitude will get fed up with their Club's current disorganisation and leave. May be this is why they only had 11 players yesterday - all the "decent guys" have already left? The two guys drinking and smoking I think were "acquaintances" of the Gainsborough manager - but like you I initially thought they were late arriving players! :bunny
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:30:32 PM by Burgh Boy »

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
Not going to be an easy tie next round,away at Cleethorpes,but the lads are doing well at toppling the bigger teams so fingers cross they rise to the challenge again.....