Author Topic: Daryl Clare  (Read 7946 times)

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United - best ground in Step 7 football!
    • View Profile
Re: Daryl Clare
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Pure quality when he won us the Conference title all those years ago...and then we let him go for zilch! Could have been a potential £1M striker but did the rounds at Conference/League 2 level and never gave himself the chance to prove himself as a Championship player. He HAS still got it though! A little surprised he's not re-joined Pilgrims for a 3rd spell. :bunny

£1m for Daryl Clare? Are you mental?

OK. Why not? Having seen the overinflated priced players out there, why not Daryl? £1M is not much for a League player nowadays.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »
We'd have done well to get £100K...........and the club would have seen nothing of it.......like the David Norris 'fee'......

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
Pure quality when he won us the Conference title all those years ago...and then we let him go for zilch! Could have been a potential £1M striker but did the rounds at Conference/League 2 level and never gave himself the chance to prove himself as a Championship player. He HAS still got it though! A little surprised he's not re-joined Pilgrims for a 3rd spell. :bunny

£1m for Daryl Clare? Are you mental?

OK. Why not? Having seen the overinflated priced players out there, why not Daryl? £1M is not much for a League player nowadays.
Because Daryl Clare was not a League quality striker. The best striker we had, Andy Kirk, went for about £100k.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United - best ground in Step 7 football!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
.......and yet we sang his praises - and how we sung them! - when he won us the Conference. Now 11 years later, some are saying he "couldn't cut it" and I am "mental"! In football, you are soon yesterday's man! "Times they are a changing"! I still thank Daryl for the time he was with us and what he achieved for the club. His goals got us the opportunity to play in the Football League.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:33:16 PM by Burgh Boy »
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
Yes, he won us the Conference, scoring plenty of goals and he earned those plaudits at the time (and since). However, he couldn't cut it in the Football League. Why would someone pay £1m for someone who couldn't perform at League Two level?

Loomerino

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
Thanks for the interesting debate on the merits of various non-league websites.
Boston Town clearly have far fewer resources than Boston United and rely almost entirely on volunteers.
I would note, however, that as I write (5.22pm on Sat Nov 30) there's a full match report and picture from Boston Town's game this afternoon on their website but no mention at all of Boston United's latest game on their website.