Author Topic: Ok then...  (Read 24320 times)

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
Re: Ok then...
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
Come on N40
first negative post of the night
lets not upset MyLeftFoot

Ahh...... so nice you remember me KON, thanks  ;)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:36 PM »
I wasn't there last night - it's difficult sometimes to get back to Boston for a 7:45 kick-off so a 7:00 forum was a bit of a non-starter. For the same reason the 7 o'clock consultation workshop on 27th November is going to be awkward, so I'm hoping there'll be other mechanisms by which supporters from away from the town can have their views heard. Maybe there ought to be some kind of similar workshop bolted onto the back of a home game?

From what I've read and heard since last night the plans are looking very good, so congratulations to David Newton and everyone else concerned.

In terms of ideas for the stadium, did anyone else pop into the museum area of Wincham Park the last time we visited Witton Albion? Witton's ground is generally nothing to write home about, but what they have done is set a room up with all sorts of their club memorabilia - old programmes, newspaper cuttings, team photos and kits from yesteryear, etc. - all neatly on show behind glass cabinets. There's even a 1920s seat salvaged from their old stadium before they moved grounds. I'd never seen a non-league club do anything like that before, and even as an away supporter it was very interesting to look around. It was only a small room, but it set Witton apart from just about every other stadium in the Unibond League.

I've looked on line but have only found one image - which doesn't really do the whole room justice - but this is effectively what they've done ...

We all understand the need for moving to a new stadium and having looked at the plans on-line it can't happen soon enough. York Street has been a great stadium but we have to move on. At the same though it'd be nice to have an area somewhere within the stadium which is accessible to fans and which acts as a momento to our heritage and our history and helps maintain our identity after we've left York Street. We've beaten Derby 6-1 in the FA Cup, been to Wembley and played in the Football League. We've had famous players and plenty of club legends down the years, so we wouldn't be short of things we could commemorate.

What an excellent idea LP, I hope the club take note and incorporate this great idea into the plans, which in the most part look excellent. I agree that small things like this can make all the difference.

I also agree with N40's in that it would be nice to see some details added that distinguish the new ground from so many others. But I do believe the current plans are a very good starting point.

My only other slight concern would be the levels of elevation of spectators above the pitch. Personally I like to be quite high up to get a decent overview of the pitch. It looks like the standing areas particularly will provide very little in terms of elevated vantage points.

Overall though it looks a very well thought out project and it's great tinder details like the concourses on each stand and elevated vantage points for disabled spectators.

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »
Plans were passed a few months ago for a new marina to be built in Boston - what I find odd is how the Q2 plans also incorporate a marina.   Surely Boston isn't big enough or there isn't sufficient demand to support two marinas?

Perhaps even three marinas http://www.brp-architects.com/projects/master_planning/fishtoft_marina_lincolnshire/index.php

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2013, 08:59:53 AM »
Wonder if the local M P  is showing any interest and is he being lobbied ?

He is taking  an interest in the way that the Planning Department is behaving.

These plans look good.
Forget the clock and the ship, we need a large statue of Sir David Newton outside the stadium  :dan

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Is there room for a driving range at the east side of the ground?  Would bring in a steady income all year round. Would be well located and no near competition.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
Is there room for a driving range at the east side of the ground?  Would bring in a steady income all year round. Would be well located and no near competition.

definitely not the best use of land, theres already 2 driving ranges in town

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »

definitely not the best use of land, theres already 2 driving ranges in town

What best use would you suggest? remember it must generate a steady income.  How about putting a speedway track or banger racing in the plans.  The plans would be thrown out, but the residents would be so relieved that they would accept the watered down plans, simples ???
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

nikko

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
its not such a bad idea,easier to get to than boston west or boston golf club,low set up cost and an awful lot of folks play (or attempt to play  ;D) the game

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »
its not such a bad idea,easier to get to than boston west or boston golf club,low set up cost and an awful lot of folks play (or attempt to play  ;D) the game

Sure to get mieles backing

worldwide

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »
Plans were passed a few months ago for a new marina to be built in Boston - what I find odd is how the Q2 plans also incorporate a marina.   Surely Boston isn't big enough or there isn't sufficient demand to support two marinas?

Perhaps even three marinas http://www.brp-architects.com/projects/master_planning/fishtoft_marina_lincolnshire/index.php

I'm so sure the marina at fishtoft in those plans is currently on the table.
There were moves in 2008 to develop a marina in the same area but nothing came of it because of the costs involved.