Author Topic: How good is our defence?  (Read 4753 times)

wismo

• View Profile
How good is our defence?
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
Last season won 7, lost 7 from the first 14 games, scored 24, conceded 21. This season won 7, drawn 4, lost 3, scored 29, conceded 21, the same.

Better players, undoubtedly, more points, more goals scored. But how good is our defence?

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: How good is our defence?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
Personally I have been surprised at how many goals we have conceded considering the personnel we have, hopefully as the team continues to gel the clean sheets will come.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
Good post but my opinion is our defence is a lot stronger than it was last season. Steer is best left back we had for long long time,pidge and garns certainly much better than we had for long time amd stef galinski is a good solid defender.Right back has been bit inconsistent but marrs will be a terrific addition for two months but can't see us holding on to him.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:45:01 PM »
Not too surprising. Timms has been erratic. No settled left back or right back personnel. Garner is a neat and tidy footballer but not a no-nonsense defender. Piergianni is good but it needs everyone in the unit to be firing on all cylinders for the clean sheets to come.

DL

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
We concead so many because of our style of play, Our team is full of attacking players and most our defenders are no different. This means you leave gaps at the back. IMHO i couldnt care if we conceaded 6 goals a game longs we score 7

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »
We haven't exactly been leaking chance after chance in the games I've seen though... but we're giving away shit goals (2 versus Vauxall, 2 versus Brackley), penalties and a few worldies are going in- think of the Alty FK, Brackley FK, Harrogate's 2nd

Timms' saves to goals ratio must be really low but doesn't reflect the games- he's either had to make easy saves or he's completely left helpless (apart from 3 errors in 2 games vs Brackley)

But until we get out of this habit and return to what we did first 3 games or so, we will struggle to string 3 or 4 wins together and we will always be just swimming against the tide with respect to the top 5.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
What is our best back 4?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
Marrs,garner,pidge,steer best back 4. can see us playing more attack minded 3-4-3 at home with galinski,garner and pidge at back with marrs and steer pushed further forward.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »
MARRS is like a smell of fresh air how long have we needed someone like him, BORE if he stays is good cover for sure.
GARNER and PIDGE no problem   L/side STEER seems to be the one but can he keep it up I don't think SANSARA is a good defender.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
I think the defence is very strong but like any team that score plenty of goals they often concede many goals I think this is because you leave your self open for counter attack. We have conceded some world class goals aswel as a few penalties last few weeks there's been many changes at the back which doesn't help which was a settled back 5 with timms bore Sansara piergianni and garner. Last few games which we have conceded a lot of goals we have had 3 at back 4 at the back rene steer was left back left winger and right winger Marshall right wing back and left back GALINSKI playing right of a three and centre half so all these changes don't help which was a settled defence I think we need to go back to basics!

I dont think we leave ourselves open to counter attacks, examine the goals we concede to confirm that. I think we're not offensive enough! I know we're scoring loads which contradicts that, but playing one up front, if as so often happens, we dont feed him, and on the floor, it invariably and so predictably comes straight back, especially with so many balls being of the 'long and lofted' variety. This obviously, with annoying frequency puts the whole defence on the back foot. Changing back four personnel doesn't help the matter, but if DG pushed master poacher Newsh up and played two up front, be it in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 it will surely relieve pressure on an overworked back 4 and restrict the number of attempts. As Shauneyg said though the back four we now have does look truly awesome and hopefully the goals against will now start to dry up

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »
Agree with B.Grimes. I think 4-4-2 Would suit us. Maybe with Swd and Netan playing wide with marrs and sterr behind them??

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
With the flying wing backs we can play 3:5:2, pulling the wing backs to 5:3:2 when we need to soak up pressure.  Rotate the midfield 3 to keep them fresh.  Start with Miller & Newsham, with the SWD option. 
United we stand..................

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
Timms
Galinski, Garner, Piergianni
Marrs Ross Marshall Hall Steer
Newsham Miller

When any of the wing backs go forward, Marshall can drop in to cover...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
We concead so many because of our style of play, Our team is full of attacking players and most our defenders are no different. This means you leave gaps at the back. IMHO i couldnt care if we conceaded 6 goals a game longs we score 7

Great for ALL the fans that Bostonshire ,  7 goals for us happy clappers to cheer and 6 goals for the moaners to keep them moaning .   Is it Dens master plan to keep all the fans happy all the time ?