Author Topic: Well we were never going to win it were we?  (Read 13067 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Well we were never going to win it were we?
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »
And as handy as the cash would have been it was just about as bad a draw as we could have been given. Brackley's need will be far greater than ours when the obscene amount of cash that is propelling them to their current status is withdrawn; the stories doing the rounds about how much players are on there makes the North Ferriby 'fairy tale' look like a charity whist drive in comparison. The sooner clubs like this are allowed to drift back to their natural level the better, anyone remember Retford........where are they now?

To me its all about next Saturday and laying the Altrincham hoodoo to rest; If we are serious about a top 5 finish we MUST start beating teams like them at York St or it'll be another season of missed opportunities and disappointment. 

Get over today, its disappointing but in the grand scheme of things its a setback, nothing more.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Well we were never going to win it were we?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »
I agree with that Andy, it is disappointing, both in terms of the result and loss of funds, but now we can atleast concentrate on trying to get out of this league.                                     

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »
Beaten by a strong organised hard working team in Brackley today but can't help thinking we played in to there hands by playing too long and straight down the centre halves throats. We never looked like causing them a problem and that is worrying. Maybe need a change in tactics 3-5-2?

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:43:06 PM »
IMO we are slightly below the top 5 teams. Think we are probs top of the next bracket of teams. Also i think we look poor as a 3-5-2

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
We just need another option away from home up front because we never seem to play football away we just play hoof ball, and when we did play football we completely outplayed them second half! But miller isn't going to win anything whilst we play hoof ball away from home, must say I thought jake hall was class today, seems very much like sleath! I thought bore was impressive aswell when he come on!

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:58:47 PM »
That's both North Ferriby and Brackley that have done a similar job on us. As mentioned above, I think we are probably outside the top 5. Both of those teams that beat us are bigger, more physical outfits.

DL

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »
We may not have ever been in the running to go much further but I do object to the comparison between today and  the Ferriby game. We were in fact getting right into the game until that unforgivable pathetic excuse of an attempted save by Timms, okay he made a couple of good saves later on but that basic lack of goalkeeping skill right on half time sealed our fate. My first sight of Jake Hall who was clearly our man of the match was most encouraging. Ricky was never at the races and lacked his usual spark and Newsh never seemed to recover from the first tackle of the game when he was brutally fouled with the ref not even speaking to the assailant. The second half we put them under pressure and were very unlucky not to get the equaliser especially when Milnes effort hit the inside of the post. We need to put this behind us and as Andy says concentrate on Alty so, there is much to play for including a competition we could do well in ie; The Trophy. Heads up and rally round the lads next week.     

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
Great post oxon.  Agree with what you put. We have Harrogate to play before alty.

jonathanBUFC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
Jake Hall was class against Barrow last week, and I didn't go today but sounds like he's been class again! We need to get him on a contract, especially with other teams interested before he joined us, and with him travelling from London it may be easier for clubs to take him away from us!

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
Disappointing stuff really today to be fair. Brackley were the better side for the most part, yet we were relatively comfortable (apart from 1 missed sitter from a header) until Timms let one through his legs that he should be saving in his sleep.
But they were so well organised when we did have the ball, we created bugger all until we hit the post from a FK and then had a couple of shots blocked, but ultimately us chasing it left us exposed and they killed it off.

Brackley will be up there- they won't lose many and if you don't lose to teams around you, you'll go close to winning it. Defensively we were coping OK, but in possession and up top lacked any kind of cutting edge today.

But if we take 3pts off them in 3 weeks and they get a grim draw (Tamworth or Gateshead away perhaps), then its no big deal for us.
5 points from the next 3 games, preferably unbeaten would be a great effort if we can do that

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Bit harsh on Timms Oxo. It was a mistake. Unfortunately, goalkeeping mistakes can be costly, as was the case today. The stats are very comparable to the Ferriby game, particularly the 'attempts on goal' which were heavily in favour of Brackley. It looked like they had another gear to go up into and I had a chat with their manager after the game who also alluded to this.

Whilst we never really had any stand-out performances today, I thought Newsham did well. He is the only one of our forward line who can get his body around the ball and shield it when the defenders put him under pressure. All too frequently, RM and SWD try and turn and more often than not against good opposition, they quickly run into trouble.

Just a note about Peter Bore. He looks like he's got bags of potential but doesn't really seem interested. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression he gives.

DL

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »
I think you are being unduly harsh on Timms........for my money he's been outstanding so far, if thats his 1st mistake this term I'll live with it, I think he's the best keeper we've had since Michel Kuipers back in the league days.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
I also think it's very harsh on timms. Made some really good stops this season, and bought some much needed stability at the back. The defense seems to trust him aswel.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »
I think you are being unduly harsh on Timms........for my money he's been outstanding so far, if thats his 1st mistake this term I'll live with it, I think he's the best keeper we've had since Michel Kuipers back in the league days.

Yep that's the first one I can really blame him for.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 06:30:59 AM »
in the games I have seen had it not been for TIMMS our back line would have been the main talking point.
he's  maybe made them look better than they are. lets get 3 points out of them  in the leage and hope TIMMS is still with us :)