Author Topic: FA Cup 2nd qualifying round draw  (Read 6549 times)

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
FA Cup 2nd qualifying round draw
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
Away to Chaestown or Stafford Rangers

Stafford in the league below but are rock bottom!

Chasetown are in the lower half of the evostick southern league..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:41:23 PM by beefpilgrim »
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: FA Cup 2nd qualifying round draw
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:12:02 PM »
In the past I would have said these are the type of teams that Boston would lose against but this season I'm more confident that Boston will beat either of these teams without too much problem.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
If we go there and take it seriously (ie not treat it lightly due to league commitments) I expect us to win
Not a mega draw in term of location (we can't have got much further away at this stage) but at least its lower league and a chance to get some prize money

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
Anyone know if Cambridge will let us play Garner (assuming he is fit of course)?

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »
With teams like Sheffield Utd, Portsmouth, Wolves and Bristol City possible if we make it to the first round, I hope we go all out in these ties. No 2nd XI, strongest team ,  no matter who we're playing.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »

Chasetown reached the final of the EvoStik South play-offs last season, where they were beaten 2-1 by Stamford. Stamford's winner was scored by Ricky Miller. Wonder what happened to him?

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
With teams like Sheffield Utd, Portsmouth, Wolves and Bristol City possible if we make it to the first round, I hope we go all out in these ties. No 2nd XI, strongest team ,  no matter who we're playing.
  I'm a big fan of playing your strongest team.  IMO always play the strongest team available. Plus do we have enough players for a second 11

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
Clearly not - we could bring in Fairclough, Reed and Galinski to replace 3 usual starters but that's all unless you're putting out a youth team!  We have to treat it like any other game, just make sure at all costs that we don't have a replay.

It's a difficult situation because we'd all like a cup run, not least David Newton for the financial rewards, but given the size of the squad our best chance of keeping up the league performances would be not to have additional games in the cups.

It's amazing that we've been able to have the same starting XI in the first 7 games (I'd guess 8 if Garner is fit for tonight) - how many times have we ever been able to keep the team unchanged for this long?  The FA Cup messed up our season last year with SWD and Fairclough getting sent off, which was the start of that long run of really bad home games - we can't afford anything similar this year! 

Another concern is how many of our players are carrying knocks but playing through them - Newsh seems to have a knee problem (but not affecting his play so far), and Sansara seemed to be struggling with his right leg second half on Saturday.  Great that they are playing on, but can injuries get any better without rest? 

On the plus side, it's good to see that the manager isn't bringing in new players for the sake of it - no point paying someone to sit on the bench, so it makes sense to save any budget he has spare for a time when we need it because of injuries/suspension. 

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »
Totally agree. It's the FA Cup, and just two or three games away from a possible televised match and with it a share of £100,000. We have to take it seriously as BP said, how can we not anyway with the size of our squad. Portsmouth at home, on television and a sell out. Could there be a better highlight of the season for any of us, player and supporters a like

Plus of course I think it's £5000 to the winners, that would give DG the money to bring in another decent addition and we will need some additions when the inevitable injuries and suspensions pop up

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
No, not Portsmouth again, they beat us 1 - 0 in the FA Cup in 1972, very, very lucky they were too!

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
Stafford Rangers it is then.

uttoxeter pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:17:52 AM »
I'm a friend of the Stafford rangers captain Darren Bullock was signed from the village team near me Rocester in the summer. He is a cracking centre back very strong, mark my words this will not be easy by a long stretch but at the same time is winnable.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »
......Most teams in the Glue League North seem to have found it easy this season?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »
The last time we played Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup was 30 years ago in 1983. Some young lad called Chris Cook got a couple of goals in the 3-1 win at York Street. Wonder what happened to him.  ;D

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
They're bottom of the Northern Premier with 1 point from 8 games. So looks like a certain defeat for us then.