Author Topic: Ricky Miller  (Read 6868 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Ricky Miller
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
I think he has had a really good start to the season and has probably exceeded a lot of fans expectations. I seem to remember one or two less than favourable comments when it was announced that he had signed in the summer - one even suggested he would rather see Steve Evans come back.

Whilst Newsham is more the goal poacher, I think Miller is the most enterprising of our forward line and I think we should build the team around him. A couple of times this season I've noticed him seeming a little frustrated when things haven't quite come off for him. The thing is, how do we get the best out of him? I'm not sure if getting a big centre-forward in would help. It may be that things are as good as they are going to get and we should just be happy with that? Would be a shame if we either lost the momentum we have created or didn't capitalise on it if that is the right thing to do.

DL

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ricky Miller
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
I don't know about building a team around him, but I know what u mean. I also remember many  really criticised his arrival and especially his so called dreadful attitude, and I do wonder if they are now converts?
The first booking apart Saturday, and Ken might confirm this, someone pointed out in the bar afterwards that all the other bookings were given for fouls on Miller, he must to be a nightmare to play against. What did DG call him, a rash wasn't it, and he's spot on. Listening to his remarks questioning the wisdom of bringing new players in, suggests we wont be  seeing many if any new arrivals including a 'typical' target man and my view is, get it on the floor to Miller, like we did second half Saturday when going forward we always look dangerous, and even if he doesn't score, his non stop movement creates space for others. It certainly looks as though Newsham enjoys playing with him! In fact it leaves me wondering, if we are the only team in the league with a 5' 8" target man!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
Even though he didn't score on Saturday, he was always willing to get on the ball and run at defenders, then looking to shoot. A lot of teams won't have a player willing to shoot as soon as they get 20 yards out.

We have 3 strikers who know where the net is - can they get 50 goals between them?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
Referee decisions appeared to be going our way in the second half on Saturday and it crossed my mind that the referee realised he had made a mistake in not sending off Hobson. 
I thought at the time with the way we were playing rather than cross the ball outside the penalty area the forwards should get into the penalty area because the way Guiseley were playing they were bound to concede a penalty and no doubt go down to 10 men in the process.
Ricky Miller is a prime candidate for causing problems in the penalty area.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:44 AM »
I wasnt sure at the start of the season, but full marks to him. He appears to be 100% and never gives the opposition defence time on the ball, and will always chase and pressurise them as well. It seems to be working very well up front at present, although he does need to recognise that he should pass the ball to better placed strikers sometimes, be hey all strikers tend to be greedy.

I know the budget is tight, but at some stage as the season progresses and the pitches get heavier and worse, we will need an alternative style and that will mean a big target man in some games, but 14 points from 7 games is a great start, with good chances of picking up more points in the next three very winnable games.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
Don't care how heavy the pitch is. Never a need to lump it target man just means crap football. When Jason Lee was here tbf he was a good target man it didn't work and we still don't have the other personnel to pick up the scraps

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
Personally I agree with dt woodhall. Whenever we go behind and need a goal second half we seem to throw Garner up front ala North Feriby and Vauxhall Motors. Miller and Newsham are very good at feeding off scraps and Milnes seemed to get alot closer to Miller against Guiseley which needs to be his role with Marshall in front of the back four and Ross sitting in the middle spreading the ball about. Garner is not a CF and I'm not convinced Sanders will be but time will tell. Looking at what we have available at the moment maybe Marshall could fill in at right back,  and Bore could be a better option up front when we need a goal? Not a natural target man but has played up front several times for Grimsby, seems to win most of his headers when Timms launches one wide to him in the oppostition half and has more than proved he can shoot!!!

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »
I can't remember whether I said anything on here but I wasn't that pleased when I heard Miller was coming back. The impression I got last time was that he felt he had to do it all himself (might have been true in that side, I grant you) and that, combined with the number of bookings I recall him getting, made me wonder if he'd fit into the current team.

I've only seen three games but I'm more than happy with him. The chasing around must help the other forwards and whilst maybe sometimes he could pass more, maybe that will come - Newsham and SWD are probably better forwards than the ones he's played with before so perhaps he has to get used to that.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 02:32:31 PM »
If money was no object I'd agree with u but as DG has said why pay someone £300 a week to sit on the bench. And only come on, on such  occasions. Also why would any good target man wanna do it.  That would only leaves us with the cheaper options that wouldn't be up to it. ontop of that everyone moans when we go long

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
I just wish he could pass the ball instead of being ball greedy!

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
Runs his socks off, wins free kicks tricky player, just needs to spot the easier ball rather than try beat his man

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
LONG balls are not MILLERS game ,,bring a big front man in and you wont have a MILLER for long   IMO.
leave our front 3 alone for now    leave our back line alone for now    just bring in 2 big strong m/fields  to mix it up a bit   IMO.

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »
One big strong centre forward, who's not to lanky but is strong enough to do a job and one more holding midfielder to sit in front of the back for but who can also push up and play the ball

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
WHY spend money on a forward when we got  charley to come back.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
one more holding midfielder to sit in front of the back for but who can also push up and play the ball

Why? don't you think Connor Marshall is doing a good enough job!!!!!